North American Breweries Reviews | Glassdoor

Richard A. (Rich) Lozyniak

1. "Ok place"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Rochester, NY

I worked at North American Breweries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work. Friendly people

Cons

No set schedule. Lots of favoritism

Advice to Management

Train better.Stop the favoritism Be consistent

2. "Brand Specialist"

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Cleveland, OH

I worked at North American Breweries part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unbeatable atmosphere. Company is really built on a family feel, and you can tell that they hire "good" people. Great people, awesome working environment with a great balance of work/play.

Cons

Training was lacking, but if you are a quick learner or initiate ways to learn it isn't a major concern. Schedule changes often, based on market tendencies and needs.

Advice to Management

Ensure every employee goes through on-boarding and basic training.

3. "Great place to develop and grow."

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in Buffalo, NY

I worked at North American Breweries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks that come with the job are great. There is a ton of opportunity to get involved with and give back to the community. Office culture is fun, but people know when it's work time. The annual sales meetings are always a great time and in fun locations. Although I left, I would go back in a heartbeat.

Cons

Overtime is often worked, some software is outdated. Have seen people just get "canned" which can lead to some questions about job security.

Advice to Management

New CEO brought in new thoughts and has proposed a great future for some dying brands. Provide better work life balance....but that's tough to do in the alcoholic beverage business.

"They even made their Brewmaster leave the country!"

Former Employee - Planning in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Planning in Berkeley, CA

Pros

Free beer...playing music at work.

Cons

Look, when their Brewmaster who developed some amazing flavors in brew leaves the country to get away from this sinking ship it makes a big statement!!
    Lawsuits, liability, unprofessional, non existent HR just to describe a few of the cons.

Advice to Management

Clean house, get out, take a class......just do the opposite of what you are doing now and it might improve things...maybe.

"Mediocre"

Former Employee - Packaging Operator in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Packaging Operator in Rochester, NY

Pros

Great people, Great Supervisor, ok pay,

Cons

Powerless union, Confused upper management, Terrible working environment, low salary cap

Advice to Management

Work harder to secure a future in the industry.

6. "Fun part-time work"

Former Employee - Labatt Specialist in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Former Employee - Labatt Specialist in Saratoga Springs, NY

Pros

social environment, work on your own

Cons

solo work leaves you vulnerable at promos

"Completely inhumane HR practices..."

Former Employee - Market Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Market Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

There are no pros to report.

Cons

NAB acquired Pyramid Breweries and Magic Hat in 2010. At this time, NAB "reinterviewed" all sales people for both companies. We had an initial "interview " in Ca (couple hours travel time to get there). Then a few weeks later they flew ALL sales people to Chicago, where they took us into a room at a hotel in the airport, one by one, and either offered a job to continue with NAB or laid us off. The majority were laid off and there was no rhyme or reason to the people that they kept (i.e. Sales numbers). After getting laid off(about a two hour process from the time we stepped off the plane) they put us right back on the plane to fly 5 hours back home. What's worse is, we would watch each person come out devastated and then get called in to meet the same doom. I have never in my life dealt with such treatment in a business environment.

Advice to Management

Treat people like people, not a number. You could have easily flown an upper management person out to the west coast to lay off the large number of people you flew 10 hours round trip in the same day to lay off.

"Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Pros

Free Beer & Above-Average Salaries. It's great to work with a brand that your friends & family enjoy and are familiar with.

Cons

So many...worst culture I had every been a part of. You never knew who was quitting or getting fired from day to day. Extreme CYA attitude where people don't want to help or give advice for fear of being blamed when something goes wrong. Management likes to tout the freedom they give people to do their job...unfortunately, that freedom is just another way for them to distance themselves from you if any of your projects fail. Don't expect their support in any way. Work-life balance is terrible. Expect to work long hours, evenings & weekends...because most of your days are tied up in meeting after meeting where you'll repeat the same numbers & updates over and over and over...... The bonus program was theoretically great...but was rarely paid out because the company would find loopholes in the promises to withhold the payments.

Advice to Management

Give out a lot more free beer in order to mask the issues that truly surround the culture of working at NAB.

"Limitless Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at North American Breweries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

North American Breweries is a great place to work for motivated individuals who are not satisfied with status quo, and who wish to have the freedom and power to affect change. There is a great deal of opportunity within the company. There's opportunity for professional growth and advancement, and opportunity to take an idea and run with it, whether in a senior position or an entry level position. NAB likes to stretch people--putting employees in situations where they aren't immediately able to be comfortable, per se. Rather, they are put in situations where they are forced to think creatively, learn from their mistakes and experiences, s t r e t c h their knowledge base, and ultimately be beneficial in the short term for the company, but especially for the long-term professional growth of the individual. From personal experience, this happens to me regularly. I am put into situations--whether it is leading projects with content I'm unfamiliar with, leading people I've not yet led, or managing time--where I don't immeditately know how I am going to be successful. I do know, though, that I have the tools and support I need to be successful. Also, at NAB, if you can dream it and justify it, no one will stop you from doing it. This is a really good company in terms of letting people run with ideas and implementing business-changing ideas regardless of seniority.

Cons

You are always working--which is a good thing if you're really into your business, but it is obviously not for everyone.

"Low morale reflective of poor management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at North American Breweries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The CEO, the products, and generous vacation are the highlights of the company. The training program is evolving, but the Sales team has a long way to go.

Cons

The Sales organization is led by managers with poor leadership skills. They have been promoted too soon, for the wrong reasons, without any management training. While many of them are competent in the job, they tend to be unskilled in basic management and team leadership.

Job candidates are misled to believe that there is a team-based environment, however, there is rarely any direction and few people willing to help or provide guidance. Poor communication between departments and offices is typical, which causes unnecessary distress.

There is no work/life balance nor is there any effort to improve this.

High turnover is a result of the unstable organizational structure and is a clear indicator of employee dissatisfaction.

Advice to Management

Management training should be mandatory and regular (i.e. semi-annual, quarterly), particularly for new managers. Investigate the high turnover rates, which might help determine the cause and help to find ways that will improve employee retention.