North American Membership Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
James Heckman

1. "NAMG"

I worked at North American Membership full-time

Pros

Great staff, great expertise. We had so much fun putting out magazines!

Cons

This company was struggling concept of mail-order magazines/clubs.

"Meh"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Minnetonka, MN

Pros

Fun people, You can move up in the company quickly

Cons

Terrible pay, managers are only out for themselves.

Advice to Management

Get a new hobby

"Poor leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

Pros

HR tried to make a more inclusive culture

Cons

Poor leadership
    Huge egos
    Lack of direction

"Ghost town"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at North American Membership full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked with some nice creative people, built some strong working relationships and learned a lot by virtue of surviving all the change. On rare occasions you could get some free products to take home.

Cons

Total chaos. New executives and new plans were brought in every few months creating constant uncertainty and constant layoffs. By the time Scout leadership took over and changed the company name, it was truly one of the worst places to work. It felt like they were trying to get us to quit. They stopped paying maintenance for our office, so mice and snakes were moving into the downstairs areas. We did our best to keep things running, even though money was drying up quickly. The pay inequality was pretty awful. It was common for one person to be making six figures while their peer at the exact same level in the exact same role would be making 1/4 of that. There were times when it was an aggressively sexist environment, but since we had no HR there was nothing you could really do about it. You just endured. Overall, it was a tough company to work for. The work was easy enough but the culture was very trying.

Advice to Management

Close the Minnesota office. There's hardly anyone left and those roles can be rehired for in NYC.

"If I would have known..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at North American Membership full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice, competitive salary. Benefits were ok but no 401k for 6 mo. Really not much positive to say here . . .

Cons

Hired into newly created role. Alignment of responsibilities didn't match those presented in interviews. Team consisted of a few very veteran employees and an equal number of contractors to fill in for the majority that were laid off or left for better opportunities. Manager of team had been with company for over 20 years in the same position but lacked leadership, management, guidance or mentorship skills. Very stagnant team, environment and company. Privately held so little to no financial information found out about company prior to being hired but wish I would have dug into my network to vet out that this was a company financially struggling. Offices and atmosphere (Minnetonka, MN) gray and depressing. Wish I would have had a tour while interviewing - my gut would have warned me.

Advice to Management

Get a consultant in to help with overall values & strategy. A name change will not cut it.

"Mediocre"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at North American Membership full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They provide an above average benefit package.

Cons

Not much brand recognition with the ad community and poor digital assets

Advice to Management

You must increase traffic and distribution of web products and re-design print products. They are not considered polished from an advertiser and agency perspective.

"Be warned"

Former Employee - Sales in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at North American Membership full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress attire, work/life balance, & the bond you share with your colleagues when you're jobs are all in dire straights.

Cons

low to average pay, decreasing benefits, no management, poor direction, unstable financial status, no logical reasoning behind the decisions made for the future, bad office politics, & just a flat out unreliable work status.

Advice to Management

They need to listen to the employees at all levels, simplify your process and streamline it for everyone. There are too many people doing the same things but doing them at a different angle. Too many hands in the cookie jar for business dev. please focus on what works and build off that rather than fixing the mistakes.

And keep the office work in house in one location. Dont have it spread out across the country. This element plus the ever changing line of command process is killing you.

"Not much left of this once good company. Corporate vandals have renamed it Scout Media."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at North American Membership full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Survivors of the desolation continue to soldier on, though the battle be lost.

Cons

Company has been rolled into Scout.com to form Scout Media. Name change won't conceal the destruction wrought upon this company by the media geniuses within the Pilot Group since acquisition in 2007. Minnetonka location will likely last only until building lease expires.

Advice to Management

Buy DeLorean. Go back in time to early 2007. Do not buy company.

"A great opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at North American Membership (Less than a year)

Pros

NAMG has a respectable corporate culture, an open communication environment, a friendly atmosphere, and knows the importance of work/life balance.

Cons

Recently had some layoffs because they eliminated one of their locations.

"Bright Future Ahead!"

Current Employee - Operations in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Operations in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at North American Membership full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is dedicated to repositioning themselves as a top player in the enthusiast markets they currently serve. Exciting to see the changes as they come to life! Challenging work, learn something new every day. Flexible culture with very comfortable and safe work environment. Game room coming soon!

Cons

Currently in transition period that requires a little extra time and effort from employees. Unfortunately, there is no 401K match.

Advice to Management

Continue to lead by example. We look up to you! Also, continue to hire young talent, they hold the future of your company!