North Carolina Department of Transportation Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tony Tata

Pros
Cons
  • The Pay is less than the private firms (in 5 reviews)

• no raises, can't have promotion unless somebody above you leave or you have connection (in 4 reviews)

1. "Transportation Engineering Associate"

Current Employee - Transportation Engineering Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Transportation Engineering Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina Department of Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly/knowledgeable people
    Opportunities for promotion
    Lots of paid holidays
    Benefits are decent
    Located throughout the state
    Plenty of units to choose from

Cons

It's a government job so it's only as stable as the economy
    If you're an essential employee you must go in during bad weather

"Transportation Planning Branch"

Current Employee - Traffic Statistics Supervisor in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Traffic Statistics Supervisor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina Department of Transportation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits overall, weekends and holidays off unless you are in a critical area. Two weeks of Sick Leave each year, and can earn up to 5 weeks paid Vacation Leave per year.

Cons

Very rarely get raises, Very difficult to advance unless you are an Engineer with a degree. Department has recently conducted a major downsizing, eliminating jobs and positions, while administering layoffs.

Advice to Management

Stop placing employees in manager level positions who have no previous supervisory experience at all.

"Engineering Technician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina Department of Transportation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pension - if you can manage to get on and stay for 30 years, Healthcare - its free as long as you don't add a dependent, best perk is the above average vacation time, Depending on the department you work in, it can be a not stressful work environment that gives you a balanced home and work relationship.

Cons

Benefits - they keep being reduced and or removed each year, Pay - lower then average compared to private markets, Health Care Coverage - seems to cover less each year, Health Insurance and Pension - as a new hire you will have to work at least 20 years to be vested in either, Career Advancement - More Work is being contracted out to private contractors which is causing a massive shrink in employees. Honestly the only people sticking around are those that are close to retirement and others are leaving for the private firms for more pay or career advancement at this time. Incentives are less likely to be worth while for a new hire. This place is going down hill fast.

Advice to Management

Stop putting new collage graduates on a pedestal and give some career advancement opportunities to long time employees with years of experience. offer better training relative to each department and bring back tuition expenses reimbursement.

5. "If you want to earn it, they'll help you get there. Just like anywhere else."

Current Employee - Able Seaman in Hatteras, NC
    Current Employee - Able Seaman in Hatteras, NC

Pros

7 days on 7 days off, 10hrs overtime. As long as your showing initiative and improve you can advance. That's all I got.

Cons

12.5 hour days, away from home. Work storms and holidays. Not much leave accrued and bene's not the best. That's all I got.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job.

6. "Great people!"

Former Employee - NC - North Carolina in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - NC - North Carolina in Raleigh, NC

I worked at North Carolina Department of Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- good people to work with
    - networking
    - industry standard

Cons

- lots of changes
    - micro management
    - low morale

Advice to Management

Don't micro manage employees.

7. "Loved my job, hated the atmosphere"

Former Employee - Title Clerk in Elizabeth Cty, NC
    Former Employee - Title Clerk in Elizabeth Cty, NC

Pros

There is a lot of information to learn but I enjoyed sharing much of that information with my customers who really haven't been given much of it except by trial and error...which could be costly! Most customers are really nice and appreciate learning how to save money or avoid fines.

Cons

I was told not to talk to the customer except as needed and to keep my head down and work. I explained that I would share info with the customer while I was waiting on the computer or the printer. I was still reprimanded repeatedly for giving excellent, friendly customer service. We were discouraged from taking our vacation a whole week at a time. They didn't want us to take off on Mondays or Fridays. I was told I could not have a 2 week leave of absence to care for a family member post surgery. One week was owed me. I was told I would have to quit...so I did.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like a drill Sargent! When you come in the whole office groans. Allow us to occasionally have off a Monday or Friday, especially when we want a vacation. Please understand that our families are important to us and sometimes that means a leave of absence is necessary. Most importantly, learn what stellar customer service really is.

"Contributing Engineer (TE II)"

Current Employee - Transportation Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Transportation Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina Department of Transportation full-time

Pros

40 hour work week; assistance in gaining PE license; coworkers are great - helpful, supportive, and professional; there is effort to support minority engineers (i.e.: not white males) even if it doesn't always go far enough; pension if you can survive long enough to put 30 years in here

Cons

Leadership and management are frequently promoted due to years of service or work as just an engineer with no evaluation on ability to actually lead others. This leads to many managers being overwhelmed by the human aspect of managing or employees being demoralized by poor managers constantly making bad decisions. The frequent threat of layoffs due to the NC Legislature does not help matters. Management is not very diverse and seems to alienate some of the female engineers ("good ol' boys club").

Advice to Management

Support superior performers with additional time off since performance-based raises seem to be off the table. Support minority engineers at the lowest levels to ensure that they stay with the organization long enough to make management positions. Promote female engineers - I have never worked with so many excellent minority engineers who simply are not given positions of management despite deserving it. The practice of only giving a X% raise when moving positions is terrible as well. Give employees a decent salary based on their credentials, experience, and past performance.

9. "bad place to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

good working hour. Lot of holiday, vacation and sick leave

Cons

Advice to Management

My supervisor and manager are great, no complain about them but those more high up people are all about themselves.

10. "NCDOT"

Current Employee - Training Engineering Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Training Engineering Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina Department of Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is great to work with, and very knowledgeable. You will get a great learning experience on the training program.

Cons

They are experiencing a great amount of job cuts so there is not great job security. The working environment is a warehouse which I did not enjoy the indoor atmosphere as much.

Advice to Management

My management was great, and I hope they keep up the amazing job with giving recent graduates an opportunity to have a rotational experience.

"The Future Is Uncertain and Positions Insecure"

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Design and review plans. Communicate with private firms. Do field inspections. Microstation used to design plans. Do have Health, Dental, Vision benefits. Good work environment. Most departments is a 40 hour week, unlike private firms.

Cons

Because of legislature people are getting RIF and getting moved to locations not by choice. Health benefits rise each year and are expensive for families. The future plans for the NCDOT is uncertain and promotions are unlikely. They are reducing the available positions. The goal for NCDOT is to provide jobs for private firms. The NCDOT responsibilities will be to review their plans and inspect their field work.