North Central Health Care Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Gary Bezucha

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Professional"

I have been working at North Central Health Care full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been an NCHC employee for 30 years. There have been ups and downs as with any large health care agency, however, I have never been prouder to say I am a member of the NCHC team!!! Yes, people leave...sometimes disgruntled. It happens everywhere and is typically people who don't or won't think of change as a good thing. Being "stuck" in practices is the worst thing that could happen, especially for the people served...they deserve the newest and best practices available to them. That takes continous change!!
    Yes, people are expected to "pull their weight", but I have never experienced anything but support from management to meet expectations. There has to be accountability or the agency wouldn't survive financially.

Cons

None I can think of...

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and NCHC moving in the right direction! There are more positive, committed and engaged employees behind you then the few negative ones that have made the appropriate choice to leave.

"Professional"

I have been working at North Central Health Care full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

NCHC cares about employees and people who leave negative reviews are usually weeded out from the company because they are not performing to standards. Its sad to see negative reviews on this site because usually the people that are the sour grapes are the ones leaving them, not the hundreds of happy employees. People are genuine and caring and its a positive work environment. People get along and that is rare in busy, stressful health care companies.

Cons

It is work and you are expected to pull your weight. If you don't, they don't put up with slackers. So prepare to be pushed.

Advice to Management

Keep weeding out the slackers and lazy people. It is your only way to be top notch.

3. "Things have changed for the negative."

I worked at North Central Health Care full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved my co-workers! They were all very supportive and knowledgeable. My coworkers were all willing to answer questions and support you anyway they could. I loved the type of work I did and the clients and families I worked with! I would have NEVER left my job if it wasn’t for management! NCHC had decent pay and benefits, but avoid being salary.

Cons

NCHC use to be a great place to work! Around 2015 is when the company changed for the negative! As I read through reviews I noticed one person who wrote that management was trying to “weed out” the ‘lazy’ people. It’s more like management is trying to “weed out” anyone who is a strong, confident professional, who knows their profession and the law regulating their profession so that they can have a bunch of “yes men” who do not challenge unethical and/or illegal rules they are trying to impose. Community Treatment was a terrible department to work for. When you bring concerns to management, they try to make you feel isolated and that only you are the person feeling the way you do, almost like an abusive relationship! If you point out legal and or ethical conflicts, management targets you as a trouble maker and having a “negative attitude”. Management has NO respect for your professional knowledge or level of education. NEVER be a salaried worker! They will tell you that the position is for 40 hours a week, then pile on added job assignments so that you are working 50-60 hours a week. If you say anything you get “you are expected to work as many hours necessary to complete the job you were assigned!” If you ask questions, you get reprimanded and put on performance improvement plans. Employee turnover has been horrific, people who have been working for NCHC for years are walking out the door due to management’s negative attitude, nit picking, and unreasonable expectations. I know MANY people who worked at NCHC for a long time, but took early retirement because management was so poor.

Advice to Management

I would say Management needs to do some serious self-reflection and figure out what YOU are doing wrong and stop blaming everyone else for the poor reviews, high turnover, and negative atmosphere. If you would actually listen to your employees they can tell you what they need! But, now they probably won’t talk to you about concerns or needs because they are so used to being punished for expressing concerns. Try showing your employees some respect. Instead of trying to “push” and demand that your employees to do more, support your employees so that they can do more. Google “poor management” and you will find a ton of articles that is everything you are doing wrong.

4. "Management needs to get off their high horse"

I worked at North Central Health Care full-time

Pros

Great pay and insurance benefits

Cons

Such a division between management and workers.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting time trying to boost employee morale with the latest method. Listen to your employees instead. Get rid of that electronic records system!

"Professional"

Former Employee - Professional in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Professional in Wausau, WI

Pros

Some great people who truly do care about helping others but too few of.

Cons

THINK TWICE BEFORE WORKING IN BEHAVIORAL HEALTH!!! Very hostile working environment. Tons of favortism, neptuism pervails rampantly throughout this whole sector of the organization. Marathon County Board needs to seriously dig deeper into this facility's management practices and herd mentality that predominates this facility. If they really want to service and provide quality healthcare services to the tri county commmunity, then they need to start asking the right people which are past employees what they know from their personal experiences what is really going on within that facility. Then they'll have their answers to turning it around to positivity and a place people want to work for. Get rid of your neptuism and sub standard nursing manager whom is at the root of tremendous chaos and who will do and say what she can to save her own back and the backs of her close family members working under her.This is the only facility where relatives are reporting off to superiors and causing tremendous chaos and telling multiple lies to cover their own behinds and jobs and placing blame on the good employees who then end up loosing theirs or quit because they know they are fighting a loosing upward battle. EMPLOYEES voicing valid concerns eqates to retalitory actions of being unjustly reprimanded and eventually being terminated or quitting. These same employees made HR more then aware of what was transpiring within and nothing was done.

Advice to Management

People within the community are paying too great of a price in lack of quality healthcare services. You need to seriously switch your management up in those units. Listen to your employees actually working the floor, not the management you have carelessly placed because they are your greatest resource and chance of improving this facility's culture and environment. Give credit where it rightfully belongs not just to whom and where it'll suffice to get you by.

6. "my job"

Pros

my co-workers and my clients

Cons

management are terrible to work with

Advice to Management

please grow brains, nothing positive

"NCHC"

Pros

Ive met 5 employees that were friendly, and helpful, out of over 700 employees

Cons

pay is not good, patient care is way overloaded for cna's, benefits are just ok, management is uncompromising, arrogant and always have a negative view of employees, management and supervisors will not help you with grievances , they terminate you if they do not like or connect with you.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employee before terminating them, be available, provide training stop employees who have seniority be arrogant and negative to new employees.

8. "HR"

I have been working at North Central Health Care full-time

Pros

Genuinely cares about employees and culture

Cons

None I can think of at this time

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward

"Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wausau, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wausau, WI

Pros

The pay is decent; cannot complain about the salary. Also the coworkers are wonderful.

Cons

Productivity is thee most important part of their mission. They do not appreciate their staff and burn them out at an alarming rate and they do not listen to their staff.

Advice to Management

You need to examine your behavior for why staff all seem to be job hunting.

"none"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wausau, WI

Pros

Retirement an being able to use the pool is the only good thing a bout working in an abusive relationship that I the Health Care Center.

Cons

Working at the Health Care Center is like being in an abusive relationship, you have your favorites, and they tell on you if they don't like you, the favorites sometime get to learn new jobs and improve their jobs, you are afraid to talk to go workers, and you do not get praised for good work but certainly get told if you make a mistake, also you have to watch out for black listing that will happen too by supervisors and the CEO. When you try to communicate with outside County officials you get told off. Employees are not appreciated. They also need to take better care of the mentally ill and not send them to an emergency room. Your Job is to take care of them not the emergency room at the Hospital.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people just because you have a degree on your wall that does not mean your employees do not have a brain.

North Central Health Care Response

Dec 30, 2015 – Senior Executive - Human Resources

Thank you for your very candid feedback about your experience at NCHC. Your experience is not what we are striving for as an organization. We will continue to try to identify issues like yours... More