North Central Mental Health Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 25, 2017

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Good Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at North Central Mental Health Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, good manager (on the team I worked on), great learning experience.

Cons

Negative atmosphere, high turnover, low pay.

Advice to Management

It was a great experience for me, since I was not in it for the money. However, with the client's that we work with and the stress that is involved, I saw MANY people come in and out, just over the year and a half that I worked. The low pay and high productivity standards were a lethal combination for people leaving. I don't think it's specific to NCMHS, but something needs to happen in community mental health sector to help encourage people to stay/build careers in it. Case managers who only work for 3 months can't build rapport with clients...and client's begin to put up walls because of this. At the end of the day, it's about the consumer and how we can help them. I believe we still have a long way to go!

Prayers to NCMHS for a future of stability with case managers and counselors.

"It all seemed great at first...."

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Columbus, OH

I worked at North Central Mental Health Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping the Clients in the community.

Cons

Poor Management. Social Workers oversee the nurses that go out and do home visits/work in the clinic. It makes zero sense at all.A Social Worker has zero clue or understanding a nurses job & the liability that comes along with being a nurse.....

Advice to Management

Get a Director of Nursing & create an actual nursing dept.

"I was desperate to leave quickly."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at North Central Mental Health Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overtime wasn't required often for certain employees.
    Insurance benefits were available.
    There were potlucks and monthly employee meetings where light breakfast was provided and employees were recognized for various accomplishments.
    Most of the employees were kind and friendly.

Cons

Low pay
    Too strict with clock-in/out times
    Some employees were severely disgruntled.
    Seemed like there was a relatively high employee turnover rate
    Requesting time off was like pulling teeth; you have to put in the request way in advance.
    The agency doesn't close in the event of inclement weather or natural disasters. You're still expected to come to work.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay for hourly employees. You can afford to up the pay.
    Don't make employees feel guilty when they request time off.
    Don't be so stringent with clock-in/out times.
    Make a job board to post in-house job opportunities for current employees.

"Non-profit"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

A great place to start a career. Great training in social services and mental health.

Cons

Pay is lower than average for a non-profit organization which already are on the low end of the salary scale.

Advice to Management

Cost cutting strategy will only get you so far. At some point, cost cutting measures will backfire. Investing in the right people will be the only way you can assure your organizations future success.

"Make it here, and you'll make it anywhere."

Current Employee - Case Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

NCMHS has a terrific reputation for the services delivered. Highly qualified, dedicated people head up the treatment teams. This is the place to learn how to excel at delivering social services.

Cons

The job brings 60 hours per week of responsibilities. Unlicensed employees get 40 hours per week to do them in. Employees who don't meet productivity expectations are on the sidewalk fast. Those vacation days you were promised? If you aren't meeting productivity, you can forget about them. Those electronic hand-readers by the doorway? They aren't for security. They're to make sure that unlicensed employees don't spend one second more or one second less than exactly forty hours per week on the job.

Folks do find ways to meet productivity honestly and ethically. You will want to start looking for help and advice on how to do that from the minute you start.

Advice to Management

Requiring notes to be turned in at the end of every day, and electronic sign-in hurts employee morale more than monthly employee potlucks can build it.