North Coast Co-op Reviews | Glassdoor

North Coast Co-op Reviews

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Clerk"

Pros

The people are awesome, friendly, fun.

Cons

Snooty customers sometimes who think they know everything.

2. "Good benefits, pay for the area"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Good pay rate
    Free food
    Sick Leave
    Understanding & friendly co-workers

Cons

Slightly passive aggressive management atmosphere. Difficult to get things done without a very long line of approval.

Advice to Management

Probably just to streamline the decision making process but that would entail a complete over haul of the way their corporation is set up.

"Worst "corporation" ever"

Former Employee - Meatcutter in Arcata, CA
    Former Employee - Meatcutter in Arcata, CA

I worked at North Coast Co-op full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay for the area. You can get a full time job with benefits through the union which is a rarity in Humboldt.

Cons

Passive aggressive management, management always refusing to listen to employee suggestions. Worst thing I saw was that they passed over several qualified employees in my Dept for promotion to manager. They ultimately decided to bring an under qualified, convicted child sex offender into our community to run the department.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to yourselves and your members about the company being a co-op when it is nothing more than a corporation. Put qualified management in place to retain employees.

"Toxic Workplace"

I have been working at North Coast Co-op full-time

Pros

Great food. Good benefits

Cons

Some of the absolute worst workplace culture I've ever encountered. Most of the entitled employees are there because they would be un-employable anywhere else.

"Good Job in relation to the area."

Former Employee - Clerk in Arcata, CA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Arcata, CA

I worked at North Coast Co-op full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are surrounded by good food, so you will not go hungry. Pay is a little better than most other jobs in the county (in most other places this would probably be about average). Your coworkers are mostly educated and are passionate about various causes. Great holiday party. Always something interesting going on.

Cons

The hours can be demanding and if you don't have PTO accrued, getting time off can be challenging. Lots of opinionated customers that really just want something to complain about. The union and management have a tense history.

Advice to Management

Keep increasing transparency. Stay committed to quality food.

"I've seen worse and it was better"

Current Employee - Clerk
    Current Employee - Clerk

I have been working at North Coast Co-op full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The clerks working on the floor are hard working, knowledgeable, and are the main reason the business is successful. Also we unionized with the Local 5 UFCW without which I have no idea if we would have the clientele that we do...which is still a function of the clerks who are doing the ordering, stocking, and question answering...the clerks are making this business work (certainly with no help from management).

Cons

Well if that didn't sound like a promotion for the company wait til you hear the cons...Cronyism, nepotism, capitalism, cynicism and ignorance are all words that get sucked into the cacophony that is the unspoken mission statement of this business. If you are a member and know what a cooperative really is I would suggest either forming a support group with your fellow members so that you will have a better understanding of where your money is going, or learning what a coopertive (such as the one you have invested in) really should be, or selling your membership back and start thinking for yourself. If you do not know what a cooperative is or should be then do not invest in one...your money is being taken from you and used to benefit a small number of people whose interests do not include yours. I must stress that the North Coast CoOp is not a model for what cooperatives are supposed to be...this statement is specific to the North Coast CoOp and I in no way mean to turn people off of or away from cooperative style establishments.

Advice to Management

resign...become entrepreneurs.

7. "Working at the Arcata Co-op...a constant test of one's patience"

I have been working at North Coast Co-op full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff is great at the Arcata store. We sell many great products that are exclusive to our store. Free past date food and produce is sweet! Good pay for the area as a member of UFCW Local 5.5

Cons

Management does not listen to valid issues amongst the staff. Money is constantly misspent. Mediocrity and keeling your head down is encouraged. Forced to join UFCW Local 5. Crappy retail hours. The store is supposedly owned by the members of the Co-op but they would be shocked as to what goes on do to day here.