North Highland Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

3.2
North Highland President and CEO Dan Reardon
Dan Reardon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance for a Consulting company (in 77 reviews)

• Great people, great to be able to do consulting work without travel, strong client base (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Lastly, I was told the work/life balance was very important - I never felt like I had any (in 13 reviews)

• Roles can feel a little like staff augmentation rather than consulting (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Very encouraged and optimistic"

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic clients, impactful high value work and outstanding colleagues. Truly a culture of care. The combination of our strong account model and the expertise of so many is working.

Cons

Too much change that is taking too long.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, but hurry and finish some of the internal projects. Celebrate the wins (external - both BD and delivery and internal ). Keep the focus on our people and their development.

2. "Warm culture but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly team-oriented and friendly work environment. Genuine interest in getting input from all levels

Cons

Employee-owned firm means lots of individual contributors who all feel they can competently do someone else's job.

North Highland Response

Jun 23, 2017 – Global Services

Thanks for your review. We appreciate the honest feedback and dialogue!

"Identity crisis - but great coworkers"

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

North Highland has smart, caring people - some of the best I have worked with in my entire career. Pay is generally lower than other management consulting firms, but there is better work-life balance (travel is limited, unless you are a more junior consultant). Good local office leadership. Flexibility in assignments (not pigeonholed into one offering or area as in other firms where I have worked). Opportunity to work on thought leadership even if not an industry SME. Progress in the right direction on initiatives like Knowledge Management and L&D (though slow going).

Cons

The expectations have been inconsistent and senior leadership has adapted an approach of "try everything and see what sticks." Poor management decisions and a misaligned incentive structure has led to massive attrition, particularly in the larger offices. Once, on a quarterly employee call, the CEO asked employees to submit positive Glassdoor reviews to artificially inflate what was then an abysmal score due to widespread employee satisfaction (really!) Extreme, bloated expenditures on corporate/global services have led to decreased profits -- marketing, HR, etc. are all huge and do not provide value to the front-line consultants (and sometimes do not even execute their core responsibilities!). Decisions are not made by people who understand the impacts; little to no change management and poor communication for internal initiatives (the cobblers' children always go barefoot).

Advice to Management

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. NH is at an inflection point, where many talented, smart people have left or are looking to leave. Focus on retaining your people -- they are your greatest asset and the biggest draw for your clients.

4. "Adults that act like it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Amazing culture and smart people.
    -Trusted to do what you're good at and deliver.
    -Renewed focus on career path and development.

Cons

The firm is changing. It is adapting to where it is in its life-cycle and making the changes necessary to meet its growth goals. Some people find the change challenging or see it as uncertainty.

North Highland Response

May 8, 2017 – Global Services

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate you sharing about your experience at North Highland.

5. "Con"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay practices when it comes to contract employees. Very helpful during the whole onboarding process with the client.

Cons

Benefits are okay.

"Anon"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Jeans on Fridays and working AC

Cons

Business seems to have stopped growing

"Working here is worse than being unemployed"

Current Employee - Principal in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Principal in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I am getting paid on time, although from another review I see that is not always the case. Some really good people are sticking around. But EVERYONE worthwhile i know is looking to leave.

Cons

Getting many questions during interviews about about my ability to deliver client value. Apparently, the reputation of NH (no shock to anyone reading reviews on Glassdoor) in town is that our consultants are only after sales with no concern for the client. So now I have this career stink following me because I work here. Great!

Advice to Management

You can't replace Dan Reardon soon enough.

8. "Best company I have ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with smart, energetic people that want to leave a legacy for the firm! We do important work for our clients and care about the people we engage with.

Cons

While I don't see this as a 'con', we are evolving. The changes that we are experiencing are happening to position us to grow and offer more career opportunities for our employees!

Advice to Management

Be communicative and tell your teams about the good work that is happening!

"A lot of uncertainty"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, excellent work space

Cons

Lack direction to where they want to go

Advice to Management

Be forthcoming with information. A lot of employees feel that they are hiding information about the state of the company and when direct questions are asked, management seems to skate around it.

"Beware"

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are some sharp, caring people who work there and who really want to deliver their best for the client. The unlimited PTO policy is attractive.

Cons

Unfortunately, the cons have been growing over the years. This firm has lost its focus on the employees and that's having an impact on the quality of work that gets delivered to clients. We recently lost our position in the annual Best Firms to Work For list (by Consulting Magazine), after having slipped for the past few years, and senior execs don't seem to have noticed or even care. The firm is becoming all about sales and the number of people leaving the company every week hasn't slowed down. People get promoted based almost purely on BD with little attention to their leadership skills. All new MBA hires are now getting hired into the strategy group, which has significant leadership issues. It is sad to see how North Highland is struggling to find its way and to stay relevant.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. Pay attention to the employees and how they are being treated. Our top leadership either has its head buried in the sand or are too afraid to disagree with the CEO. It's time to bring in someone at the top who can address the morale problem.