North Highland Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
North Highland President and CEO Dan Reardon
Dan Reardon

Pros
  • Good work/life balance for a Consulting company (in 75 reviews)

• Entrepreneurial; Great people; Grounded in values; Ego-free; Flexible; Smart people getting things done without the hurdle of bureaucracy (in 44 reviews)

Cons

1. "Very encouraged and optimistic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic clients, impactful high value work and outstanding colleagues. Truly a culture of care. The combination of our strong account model and the expertise of so many is working.

Cons

Too much change that is taking too long.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, but hurry and finish some of the internal projects. Celebrate the wins (external - both BD and delivery and internal ). Keep the focus on our people and their development.

"Company under transition"

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great co-workers, low travel for some positions, good place to expand consulting skills

Cons

high sales and utilization goals, promotion opportunties are limited

Advice to Management

you appear caught somewhere between staff augmentation firms and strategic consulting firms and therefore don't provide a clear value proposition to either buyer.

"Worth a shot"

I have been working at North Highland full-time

Pros

Little to no travel at the time

Cons

little focus on business outcomes for the client

Advice to Management

If tou are heavy into staff augmentation, then don't sell the company as otherwise

5. "3 years in - still having a great experience"

Current Employee - Principal
    Current Employee - Principal

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Salary and Bonus Clarity
    - Local Office model for majority of the consultants
    - Sense of do whats right for the client and for the company - fair bit of freedom to structure deals
    - Continues to be employee owned

Cons

- Lots of adjustment to compensation model, career path and company structure (new structure introduced in 2016)
    - Unlimited vacation policy with several pages of rules and caveats undoes much of the the policy - seems to be more of a way to keep vacation liability off the books.

Advice to Management

- Keep local model. Continue to react to the challenging market but keep the fellow owners in focus.

"Worst experience I have ever had in my professional career."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at North Highland full-time

Pros

I have no pros for North Highland.

Cons

The interviewing process was very lengthy and unfortunately did not expose what the company was really like. The main reason I started with the company was because of the vision that one of the Managing Directors had and his passion for inviting innovative ideas into the company. Unfortunately, I was unable to see any of my ideas come to fruition nor see any positive things change within the organization. I should have seen the writing on the wall when I started interviewing with my then manager.... she was very hard to get over the phone and kept telling me that a decision on hire would be made soon and it wasn't. My immediate manager was the most unprofessional person that I had ever worked for and I am not certain on why she is still there. My immediate manager, during our one-on-ones, would just gossip about everyone in the office, talked about salaries and personal details that should never be shared. The environment was extremely toxic as there was a lot of back-staffing happening, hardly any support in my role, and not receptive at all with new ideas. Not only was the environment toxic, my manager liked to "pit" each team member against the other creating a very untrusting climate. Additionally, this manager had a very low ratio for keeping employees on her team as she would either fire them or make them leave. I know this is my experience but I have been told by previous employees that they had a very similar experience. Lastly, I was told the work/life balance was very important - I never felt like I had any work/life balance and my former manager was always taking off time.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the exit interviews when someone leaves - make sure you are getting exit interviews. Also, investigate disgruntled employees better especially their are multiple employees complaining about the same manager and/or situation.

7. "Coordinator"

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule for large firm

Cons

Low Salary for this area

"Poor Leadership"

Current Employee - Principal in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal in New York, NY

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location at 1 Penn Plaza. Easy access to trains and taxi's and local restaurants and bars.

Cons

Current Assistant Vice President, Vice President and overall leadership makes for an unhealthy daily work environment. Constant smoking mirrors, selfishness and a "me me" attitude. A true "boys club" atmosphere led by leaders who only care about making themselves look good and garner all the credit when things go right...Since the last 2+ years I've grown more disengaged as the NY team has brought in individuals from southern offices who have truly made the office and work suffer for the worst.

Advice to Management

Ask yourselves why the constant turnover? Its because of the so-called leaders/transplants that were brought in from the southern region. Boys clubs are supposed to be a thing of the past.

"NH Change"

Pros

Local model with a big focus on community involvement. Laid back working environment. Opportunity to gain various project experiences and more responsibilities earlier in career.

Cons

NH has been going through constant change over the last few years. It is so surprising to see how poorly a consulting firm can manage change internally. The biggest appeal of NH is the culture and local model but as part of the transformation, it seems as if they are gradually moving away from the local model and struggling to preserve the culture.

Advice to Management

Focus on your people. Maintain transparency.

10. "Making Progress"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, good DNA from 2015 acquisition has positively impacted multiple service lines and industry teams. Local model still in place. Thankful for colleagues that choose to travel and bring expertise across markets.

Cons

Learning how to provide "corporate" leadership across different sized markets. Some local markets don't need as much "bureaucracy" as a larger market. Getting better but still some overhead that needs right-sizing

Advice to Management

Continue to "let go" of unnecessary overhead. Good job with the Delivery Career Track - make sure that it rolls out smoothly

11. "Company Review"

Former Employee - Account Director
    Former Employee - Account Director

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TrueBridge Resources is a great place to work. Their partnership with NorthHighland makes building relationships with customers easy. However it is still up to the account team to deliver quality staff to meet the quality expected from NorthHighland.

Cons

Joined the company while it was still trying to find its way. They were trying to figure out the overlap so the consulting services did not compete with the Staff Augmentation.

Advice to Management

Management seems to have corrected most of the issues. They are now identifying TrueBridge as part of Northhighland which should bring value to TrueBridge.