North Highland Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
North Highland President and CEO Dan Reardon
Dan Reardon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance for a Consulting company (in 77 reviews)

• Great people, great to be able to do consulting work without travel, strong client base (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Lastly, I was told the work/life balance was very important - I never felt like I had any (in 13 reviews)

• Roles can feel a little like staff augmentation rather than consulting (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Very encouraged and optimistic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic clients, impactful high value work and outstanding colleagues. Truly a culture of care. The combination of our strong account model and the expertise of so many is working.

Cons

Too much change that is taking too long.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, but hurry and finish some of the internal projects. Celebrate the wins (external - both BD and delivery and internal ). Keep the focus on our people and their development.

"Identity crisis - but great coworkers"

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

North Highland has smart, caring people - some of the best I have worked with in my entire career. Pay is generally lower than other management consulting firms, but there is better work-life balance (travel is limited, unless you are a more junior consultant). Good local office leadership. Flexibility in assignments (not pigeonholed into one offering or area as in other firms where I have worked). Opportunity to work on thought leadership even if not an industry SME. Progress in the right direction on initiatives like Knowledge Management and L&D (though slow going).

Cons

The expectations have been inconsistent and senior leadership has adapted an approach of "try everything and see what sticks." Poor management decisions and a misaligned incentive structure has led to massive attrition, particularly in the larger offices. Once, on a quarterly employee call, the CEO asked employees to submit positive Glassdoor reviews to artificially inflate what was then an abysmal score due to widespread employee satisfaction (really!) Extreme, bloated expenditures on corporate/global services have led to decreased profits -- marketing, HR, etc. are all huge and do not provide value to the front-line consultants (and sometimes do not even execute their core responsibilities!). Decisions are not made by people who understand the impacts; little to no change management and poor communication for internal initiatives (the cobblers' children always go barefoot).

Advice to Management

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. NH is at an inflection point, where many talented, smart people have left or are looking to leave. Focus on retaining your people -- they are your greatest asset and the biggest draw for your clients.

"Waning Confidence"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule and an unlimited PTO structure.

Cons

Headquarters is in ATL, communication isn't always forthright and there has been some significant changes made with no real direction of the new vision.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Think things through completely before executing them firm wide.

4. "Management Consultant"

I have been working at North Highland full-time

Pros

No out of town travel unless you sign up for it

Cons

Contineous internal policy and strategic direction upheaval (last three years plus, with no end in sight)

Advice to Management

Change is inevitable and a must. However, change fatigue is real. Our clients pay us heaps of money for that advice but senior leadership ignores that internally, to their detriment. Celebrate the new blood but don't forget the people who have stuck around and given it their all. NH used to pride themselves for long tenure - which defined us in the consulting industry - but that no longer seems to be the case. That is a shame as the new blood and old should be celebrated equally, with the latter being essential to continuous success

"Principal"

Pros

Great people, great to be able to do consulting work without travel, strong client base. Was able to do some really meaningful work here. Entrepreneurial in the sense you can go after what interests you and build a team.

Cons

Low salary by industry standard. Not a lot of strategic direction and action. Smaller projects can make you feel disconnected. All the power is held in Atlanta

6. "Warm culture but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly team-oriented and friendly work environment. Genuine interest in getting input from all levels

Cons

Employee-owned firm means lots of individual contributors who all feel they can competently do someone else's job.

North Highland Response

Jun 23, 2017 – Global Services

Thanks for your review. We appreciate the honest feedback and dialogue!

"Great people, great clients, terrible management"

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, passionate employees. 100% employee-owned. Room to grow and learn. Entrepreneurial spirit. Decent base pay. Limited travel, but only compared to other firms.

Cons

Growing corporate pressures out of Atlanta HQ. Terrible internal change management and communications to employees. Inconsistent performance management processes. Long history of waiting way too long to promote. Confusing bonus structure.

Advice to Management

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Do unto yourself as you would vehemently do unto your clients.

"It's too late..."

I worked at North Highland full-time

Pros

I can no longer, in good conscience, recommend this firm to anyone other than someone looking for an interim paycheck while finding something else.

Cons

What was once celebrated as a firm that focused on client-centricity, employee experience and individual wealth creation can no longer claim any of those. The firm has fallen off Consulting Magazine's 'great place to work' list and is slowly moving away from its ESOP plan in favor of something closer to a partner model. Few win, most lose. The firm's revenues remain flat and earnings continue to decline for 4 years running. All Glassdoor accounts show that the focus is now revenue production and not client satisfaction. Centralization - to Atlanta - of all resourcing and spending has left local (city) leaders with no ability to effectively serve their clients or their people.

Advice to Management

None anymore because management does not take advice. They have been advised and it is clear that senior management is not trusted or regarded as leaders, and have not been for some time now. The Board buries its head in the sand to things that are obvious to so many and has failed to operate in the best interest of its employee owners.

9. "Good company"

I worked at North Highland full-time

Pros

Employee owned. Incentives based on individual performance and contribution. Great for local consultants who don't want to be on the road all the time.

Cons

Can be tactical and more operational vs strategic depending on what group you're in.

"HQ ingnores satelite offices"

Pros

Branding, resources on the website, blog, thought capital etc. Some great work is being done on the East Coast & London. We have good ideas and people who think big!

Cons

If you're not in the HQ or London, don't expect to get any support. Those same people who have good ideas or work on cutting edge projects have egos too big that they won't help the little guys (growing offices). Even if we can sell a cool project, resource management seems to be a cluster, and few projects are staffed with the people we promised. I find myself making excuses for my firm after I manage to sell them anything.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to supply the work sold and support the people who are DOING the heavy lifting.