North Highland Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
North Highland President and CEO Dan Reardon
Dan Reardon

Pros
  • Good work/life balance for a Consulting company (in 76 reviews)

• Great people, great to be able to do consulting work without travel, strong client base (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Lastly, I was told the work/life balance was very important - I never felt like I had any (in 13 reviews)

• Roles can feel a little like staff augmentation rather than consulting (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Very encouraged and optimistic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic clients, impactful high value work and outstanding colleagues. Truly a culture of care. The combination of our strong account model and the expertise of so many is working.

Cons

Too much change that is taking too long.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, but hurry and finish some of the internal projects. Celebrate the wins (external - both BD and delivery and internal ). Keep the focus on our people and their development.

"the last consulting job you'll ever have"

Current Employee - Principal in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Principal in Atlanta, GA

Pros

North Highland supports an extremely good work / life balance, offers a generous compensation / ownership plan, provides autonomy of career path, and has a great reputation with clients. The company is comprised of smart, capable, value-oriented consultants who have a great deal of prior experience in big 4 - big 5 consultancies and believe that there is a better way to deliver for clients than those firms can provide.

Cons

North Highland is not not for niche players - rather , it favors generalists and renaissance men. Everyone sells - everyone delivers - and to an extent, everyone performs operations.

Advice to Management

I'd advise more explicit involvement and input from employees in group settings. The company is rife with strategists and detailed information about decision-making builds confidence for that type of audience. I believe that input is being sought much more than is immediately apparent.

"Changing the way people think about consulting."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Offers "Big 4/5 Consulting" opportunities without the required travel. Focus on work life balance is a huge part of the culture.

Cons

Internal processes are constantly evolving to meet the demands of a growing company.

Advice to Management

Continue focus on marketing the fantastic brand. The story of North Highland and the tremendous value that North Highland consultants can provide needs to be shared so that potential buyers can be knowledgable regarding when to reach out to North Highland.

"Loved working at North Highland"

Former Employee - Great Place to Work in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Great Place to Work in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Manages to be both highly professional, caring and supporting work / life balance

Cons

Most of power centers in Atlanta so satellite offices not great for individuals who don't really, really know how to network

Advice to Management

Make satellite offices the site for actual decision making, not just receiving those made in Atlanta

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Great Work/Life Balance
    Smart People to work with
    Flexibility to Try new things, Training etc.

Cons

No Annual Raise
    Depending on the city you're based in, the local travel can be extensive.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the resource pool you currently have and try to promote from within.

"Great place for Christians"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

As a practicing Christian, I have found the cultural issues and anti-Christian biases of the major consulting firms to be problematic. This is not the case at North Highland, where the active profession of faith is encouraged by a deeply religious and conservative management team. Indeed, it is not unusual for leadership to allude to faith-based activities in daily course of work (certainly not the norm at Accenture where any public mention of religion would be considered inappropriate).
    This family-friendly attitude is reflected most strongly in the work-life balance of the firm, where family and church always come first.

Cons

Pay is lower than I made at Accenture.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. We need more firms like this one.

"Great place if you have what it takes"

Current Employee - Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Executive in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Smart people with deep relations at the client
    Great Client list
    Stock Ownership for all employees with 20% vesting per year, 5 year max
    30% annual revenue growth and stock value (30% per yr for last 15 yrs on avg)
    Can make more here than at big 4 if you are good at the job
    Low travel (not no travel)
    No up or out policy so if you love what you do and are good at it, you can stay here and do it
    Compensation system weeds out those who are not a good fit

Cons

With no up or out, people get frustraed when they do not get promoted.
    Very limited pay raises for those who do not get promoted
    It is hard to understand the variable pay - it does work as designed though. We all feel like owners that need to focus on doing the right things every day.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the culture. It is a very special company. Make sure all new executive promotions/hires "get it"

8. "A staffing firm that supports its employees and contractors"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

This is an IT staffing company that actually gets this business. They give you all the tools to be successful and allow you to bring in business that you actually enjoy working on. Realistic expectations for recruiters and account managers. Reward you for your success and provide help and training when you need it to become better at what you do.

Cons

Because of our success and growth we will need a larger office. When everyone is here and on the phone it can get loud.

Advice to Management

With the growth of TrueBridge Resources Inc. we need to start meeting more with our parent company North Highland to partnership on larger projects.

"Love that I can focus on doing the what's right for clients"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The culture is definitely about satisfying client needs first; a positive outcome of being private and employee owned. The growth over the last few years -- national and global expansion and new types of services -- has really provided new opportunities. Ability to drive my own career path.

Cons

The flip side of freedom to drive your own career path is that it takes active management; great for proactive people. Rapid growth means growing pains, seems like always a lot of internal change going on (not necessarily bad change, just a lot of change). It can take a few years to see the value of employee ownership kick in.

Advice to Management

Don't rest on past success.

10. "The last 18 months have been both challenging and rewarding, exactly what I was looking for when I joined North Highland"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

The opportunity to collaborate with some of the brightest and professional consultants I have ever known in my career.

Cons

The biggest downside is not having the brand recoginition of some of the larger firms but we are making progress.

Advice to Management

Continue to be willing to address base compensation incentives as the market improves