North Highland Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
North Highland President and CEO Dan Reardon
Dan Reardon

Pros
  • Good work/life balance for a Consulting company (in 76 reviews)

• Great people, great to be able to do consulting work without travel, strong client base (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Lastly, I was told the work/life balance was very important - I never felt like I had any (in 13 reviews)

• Roles can feel a little like staff augmentation rather than consulting (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Very encouraged and optimistic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic clients, impactful high value work and outstanding colleagues. Truly a culture of care. The combination of our strong account model and the expertise of so many is working.

Cons

Too much change that is taking too long.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, but hurry and finish some of the internal projects. Celebrate the wins (external - both BD and delivery and internal ). Keep the focus on our people and their development.

2. "Principal"

Pros

Great people, great to be able to do consulting work without travel, strong client base. Was able to do some really meaningful work here. Entrepreneurial in the sense you can go after what interests you and build a team.

Cons

Low salary by industry standard. Not a lot of strategic direction and action. Smaller projects can make you feel disconnected. All the power is held in Atlanta

3. "Warm culture but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly team-oriented and friendly work environment. Genuine interest in getting input from all levels

Cons

Employee-owned firm means lots of individual contributors who all feel they can competently do someone else's job.

North Highland Response

Jun 23, 2017 – Global Services

Thanks for your review. We appreciate the honest feedback and dialogue!

"PMO/staff augmentation firm"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was initially attracted by the local model, but the ultimate implication of this model is that leadership adopts a take-what-you-can-get sales mindset, and individuals are, more often than not, staffed below their skillset in staff-aug type roles.

Cons

This is not a place to advance in your career, or develop a new skill set or expertise. This company is an example where the title "management consultant" is a misnomer. After starting, I was baffled to learn that there was a distinction between "management consulting" and "strategy" groups here. The overwhelming majority of work on the "consulting" side is PMO/staff aug, or brokering the implementation of a vendor's solution. Very few, if any, interesting projects. I left after less than a year.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent in the interviewing process regarding the type of work you actually do, rather than emphasize the work you hope to do.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Great people, collaborative, great events

Cons

Not enough autonomy from the US

"Great people, great clients, terrible management"

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, passionate employees. 100% employee-owned. Room to grow and learn. Entrepreneurial spirit. Decent base pay. Limited travel, but only compared to other firms.

Cons

Growing corporate pressures out of Atlanta HQ. Terrible internal change management and communications to employees. Inconsistent performance management processes. Long history of waiting way too long to promote. Confusing bonus structure.

Advice to Management

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Do unto yourself as you would vehemently do unto your clients.

7. "Good company"

I worked at North Highland full-time

Pros

Employee owned. Incentives based on individual performance and contribution. Great for local consultants who don't want to be on the road all the time.

Cons

Can be tactical and more operational vs strategic depending on what group you're in.

"HQ ingnores satelite offices"

Pros

Branding, resources on the website, blog, thought capital etc. Some great work is being done on the East Coast & London. We have good ideas and people who think big!

Cons

If you're not in the HQ or London, don't expect to get any support. Those same people who have good ideas or work on cutting edge projects have egos too big that they won't help the little guys (growing offices). Even if we can sell a cool project, resource management seems to be a cluster, and few projects are staffed with the people we promised. I find myself making excuses for my firm after I manage to sell them anything.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to supply the work sold and support the people who are DOING the heavy lifting.

"Working here is worse than being unemployed"

Current Employee - Principal in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Principal in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I am getting paid on time, although from another review I see that is not always the case. Some really good people are sticking around. But EVERYONE worthwhile i know is looking to leave.

Cons

Getting many questions during interviews about about my ability to deliver client value. Apparently, the reputation of NH (no shock to anyone reading reviews on Glassdoor) in town is that our consultants are only after sales with no concern for the client. So now I have this career stink following me because I work here. Great!

Advice to Management

You can't replace Dan Reardon soon enough.

"Ever-changing organization."

Current Employee - Principal in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Principal in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people are good to work with, client work is great. Company is very active in the community, lot of volunteer opportunities. Salary is okay.

Cons

Only values selling work, not delivering great work. All KM is targeted for how to sell work, not on how to deliver; not much true learning from each other.

Advice to Management

Grow the company in a way that is sensitive to all employees. Current approach has been demoralizing for many.