North Highland Reviews | Glassdoor

North Highland Reviews

Updated May 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good work/life balance for a Consulting company (in 76 reviews)

• Entrepreneurial; Great people; Grounded in values; Ego-free; Flexible; Smart people getting things done without the hurdle of bureaucracy (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Lastly, I was told the work/life balance was very important - I never felt like I had any (in 13 reviews)

• Roles can feel a little like staff augmentation rather than consulting (in 22 reviews)

"Best Company I have ever worked for."

Former Employee - Recruiting in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Recruiting in Charlotte, NC

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible work environment, challenging work, made to feel like your opinion matters and that you bring value to the firm

Cons

A lot of change occurs but change is good. It creates learning and growth.

Advice to Management

great leadership and managers. Best Company I have ever worked for. I had a very professional manager. She did a great job at training me, stressing integrity on the team and in the firm as well as enabled me to be successful in recruiting.

"Worst experience I have ever had in my professional career."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at North Highland full-time

Pros

I have no pros for North Highland.

Cons

The interviewing process was very lengthy and unfortunately did not expose what the company was really like. The main reason I started with the company was because of the vision that one of the Managing Directors had and his passion for inviting innovative ideas into the company. Unfortunately, I was unable to see any of my ideas come to fruition nor see any positive things change within the organization. I should have seen the writing on the wall when I started interviewing with my then manager.... she was very hard to get over the phone and kept telling me that a decision on hire would be made soon and it wasn't. My immediate manager was the most unprofessional person that I had ever worked for and I am not certain on why she is still there. My immediate manager, during our one-on-ones, would just gossip about everyone in the office, talked about salaries and personal details that should never be shared. The environment was extremely toxic as there was a lot of back-staffing happening, hardly any support in my role, and not receptive at all with new ideas. Not only was the environment toxic, my manager liked to "pit" each team member against the other creating a very untrusting climate. Additionally, this manager had a very low ratio for keeping employees on her team as she would either fire them or make them leave. I know this is my experience but I have been told by previous employees that they had a very similar experience. Lastly, I was told the work/life balance was very important - I never felt like I had any work/life balance and my former manager was always taking off time.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the exit interviews when someone leaves - make sure you are getting exit interviews. Also, investigate disgruntled employees better especially their are multiple employees complaining about the same manager and/or situation.

"Poor Leadership"

Current Employee - Principal in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal in New York, NY

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location at 1 Penn Plaza. Easy access to trains and taxi's and local restaurants and bars.

Cons

Current Assistant Vice President, Vice President and overall leadership makes for an unhealthy daily work environment. Constant smoking mirrors, selfishness and a "me me" attitude. A true "boys club" atmosphere led by leaders who only care about making themselves look good and garner all the credit when things go right...Since the last 2+ years I've grown more disengaged as the NY team has brought in individuals from southern offices who have truly made the office and work suffer for the worst.

Advice to Management

Ask yourselves why the constant turnover? Its because of the so-called leaders/transplants that were brought in from the southern region. Boys clubs are supposed to be a thing of the past.

5. "Making Progress"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, good DNA from 2015 acquisition has positively impacted multiple service lines and industry teams. Local model still in place. Thankful for colleagues that choose to travel and bring expertise across markets.

Cons

Learning how to provide "corporate" leadership across different sized markets. Some local markets don't need as much "bureaucracy" as a larger market. Getting better but still some overhead that needs right-sizing

Advice to Management

Continue to "let go" of unnecessary overhead. Good job with the Delivery Career Track - make sure that it rolls out smoothly

"Beware"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are some sharp, caring people who work there and who really want to deliver their best for the client. The unlimited PTO policy is attractive.

Cons

Unfortunately, the cons have been growing over the years. This firm has lost its focus on the employees and that's having an impact on the quality of work that gets delivered to clients. We recently lost our position in the annual Best Firms to Work For list (by Consulting Magazine), after having slipped for the past few years, and senior execs don't seem to have noticed or even care. The firm is becoming all about sales and the number of people leaving the company every week hasn't slowed down. People get promoted based almost purely on BD with little attention to their leadership skills. All new MBA hires are now getting hired into the strategy group, which has significant leadership issues. It is sad to see how North Highland is struggling to find its way and to stay relevant.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. Pay attention to the employees and how they are being treated. Our top leadership either has its head buried in the sand or are too afraid to disagree with the CEO. It's time to bring in someone at the top who can address the morale problem.

"Transforming for the better"

Current Employee - Principal in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Principal in Seattle, WA

I have been working at North Highland full-time

Pros

Interesting consulting engagements, solid colleagues, and a bold vision for the future

Cons

Internal ops still sluggish, and some unfortunate turnover

Advice to Management

Keep pursuing 3.0 but do more to retain talent

"Accountant"

Current Employee - Accountant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, great team

Cons

Salary is not the best. Company seems to be all over the place when it comes to different processes. A lot of changes happening and a lot of uncertainty right now. Feels like they try things out then change it when it doesn't work, ALL THE TIME.

Advice to Management

Better communication and better management

"Manager"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland (More than a year)

Pros

People are great. No travel is what makes this company unique. There can be a wide mix of project types.

Cons

Staffing model isn't leveraged enough. Opportunity for advancement is uncertain. Corporate strategy is TBD. Unclear goals for different levels of employees.

Advice to Management

Keep it simple

"Little Hope Remaining"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are very few anymore

Cons

Leadership - displays constant confusion, lack of focus and direction, and disconnectedness. Turnover of senior leaders could be worst in the industry demonstrating no stability to North Highland's people and clients.

People - there remains a number of good, very solid performers though it tends to be those directly unaffected by senior leaders. That said, there is little to no effort to develop them into future leaders and there is no evidence that anyone in the 'rank and file' will ever become leaders. The firm also does not seem to value the Delivery people to the same degree clients do.

Market Perception - going from bad to disastrous. What was once a very strong brand established around delivery excellence and dependability is slowly becoming a brand showing desperation to win and save work.

Advice to Management

Sell the company while you can

"Good company, mostly good people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at North Highland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Start-up like environment, collaborative spaces and company events

Cons

People are unfriendly at times, useless meetings, parking is tricky.

Advice to Management

be honest about your company culture.