North Highland Reviews | Glassdoor

North Highland Reviews

Updated June 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good work/life balance for a Consulting company (in 76 reviews)

• Great people, great to be able to do consulting work without travel, strong client base (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Lastly, I was told the work/life balance was very important - I never felt like I had any (in 13 reviews)

• Roles can feel a little like staff augmentation rather than consulting (in 22 reviews)

"Good company, mostly good people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at North Highland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Start-up like environment, collaborative spaces and company events

Cons

People are unfriendly at times, useless meetings, parking is tricky.

Advice to Management

be honest about your company culture.

"The Sinking Titanic of Consulting"

Former Employee - Principal in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Principal in Washington, DC

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance isn't too bad. So it has that going for it, which is nice.

Cons

Compensation model is always changing and promotes unobtainable goals. Company has no idea of what it wants it's identity to be. D.C. leadership is among the most tone deaf, making the same mistakes over and over again, expecting things to change.

Advice to Management

You should probably just let the company fold so no one wastes their career at this firm. I've never worked at a more toxic company.

"Continuous degenerating disaster"

Former Employee - Principal in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Principal in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is nothing positive left to say. The wheels have come off here by all accounts, including those of all current and ex-employees whom I've spoken to. Anyone who tells you differently is protecting their equity position. With apologies to those folks, the game is up.

Cons

The CEO has continued and accelerated his abusive behavior by chasing key people out of the company, and now by intentionally crashing the stock to refocus incentives on the short term. This has hurt many people currently and formerly with the company who made intense sacrifices in current-year comp in order to respect the stated values of the company -- long-term outlook and employee ownership. This is an absolutely disgusting abuse of trust.

Advice to Management

If you're part of the new regime, well good luck with that. Anyone who has been there a long time and is waiting for things to turn around, I advise to run away as quickly as possible. Until the CEO is forcibly deposed things will remain bad, and the governance of the company and the ESOP seem too weak to do anything about this situation.

"Pathetic HR team. Need to understand "human" part of HR"

Former Employee - Management Consulting Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Management Consulting Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I can share

Cons

HR does not act based on logic. The growth targets will never be achieved with the presence of such a broken HR team

"Not as promised"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are an employee you are eligible for bonuses and profit sharing.

Cons

No different than any other staffing and small consulting firm. They want to think of themselves as a management consulting firm but they can't compete with the larger and boutique firms, so they struggle to win premier business.

Promises made will not be kept. A soon as you are not billable they will cut you.

Compensation is below market.

Advice to Management

Examine your motivation model and do some change management. Look at your place in the market and try to develop your people internally as promised.

"Still on the fence...I guess I'll get off the fence if and when I leave"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

-Very focused on attracting and keeping millennials. So if you fall into this category will you will be mentored and advance quickly.
    -Very friendly (not a lot of cut throat personalities) You will not find a lot of jerks here.
    -Some GREAT like really awesome VPs and Managing Directors but they don't seem to have the power to effect the change that is needed. I feel badly for them like their hands are tied.
    -In the midst of a lot of change so you can be a change agent if you have the patience and time to muddle through it.

Cons

- Passive Aggressive Culture
    - Not a lot of learning opportunities (NH University is a somewhat of a joke)
    - Old technology in place for time reporting, knowledge management
    - Pushes sales on everyone. They say it's about building relationships but people can be cut throat about sales
    - Everyone works in a SILO
    - Manager are still on the low end of the job hierarchy so limited ability to help grow individuals. Of course you can try to go an account, but sales isn't for everyone.
    - Very cliquish and hard to break in with the "cool" kids, this can impact your ability to try different accounts and roles. Thankfully the company has friendly people so you don't feel like you are missing too much, but they can try to be more inclusive.
    -Lack structure
    -Dont' be fooled about the unlimited PTO (Personal Time Off), if you are in consulting arm you will have a utilization target so you will likely be able to take 4 weeks of vacation and still maintain your utilization
    - Poor communication

Advice to Management

Figure out who you want to be. You cannot continue to use no travel as a perk because at the Senior Consultant level you are expected to travel ALOT. Listen to the little people.

"Sad!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Good to great consultants
    Great clients

Cons

Just terrible senior leadership
    Company strategy is 'spaghetti on the wall'
    Compensation is complex, confusing, and designed so the house wins (hint: ESOP plan is not 'the house')
    Equity sharing is a disaster, not worth lower cash compensation; you'll want to focus a lot of questions on this during negotiations

Advice to Management

Board of Directors needs to step in and make some changes

"Lost its way"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was previously in a smaller office and the individuals I worked with were phenomenal, smart, caring and dedicated. I enjoyed my time there while times were good but knew to jump ship

Cons

Ever since the CP&E rollout that happened in 2014/2015 and other mandates brought forth from Atlanta, core essence and thus draw of the company has disappeared. The local based model is no longer unique and has been readily adopted by other firms. Compensation leaves room for much improvement to say the least (utilization targets are unreasonable). From what I hear from former colleagues on the West Coast, an acquisition that occurred was an utter disaster.

Advice to Management

Look towards the past successes to drive your future. Be open to feedback from your employees. What once was a great company is no longer...

"Quick to Cut"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people are great.

Cons

They treat their employees like pawns. A week after you are no longer billable, they will fire you.

Advice to Management

Your behavior will cause an eruption in negative Glassdoor reviews. Next, you will run out people to exploit.
    Are you that close to retirement that you can survive?

"North Highland is a joke"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Pay Rate is med to high.

Cons

Cheap. Does not give all employees proper tools to work with: Laptop, WebEx, etc. Treats employees unequally. Does not stand behind the employee for what ever reason. Always takes the side of the client and will work against the employee rather than spend the time to resolve issues. Does not communicate well. Lost my health Care benefits when NH acquired its' subsidiary. No formal notice and inadequate communication was given of the acquisition and that the employees from the company being acquired were changing employers and benefits. I lost my health care benefits because I did not re-enroll and North Highland said there was nothing they could do.

Advice to Management

None. They probably wouldn't understand. They are too busy raking in revenues to deal with building a solid firm.