North Island Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Stephen O'Connell
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Merger with California Credit Union"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President Payment Services Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at North Island Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Member focused credit union with a good employee culture

Cons

Merger impacted several employee's positions.

2. "Senior Loan Processor"

Former Employee - Senior Loan Processor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Loan Processor in San Diego, CA

I worked at North Island Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly people and nice atmosphere

Cons

Small company and a non-prophet organization

Advice to Management

average management with good knowledge

3. "Merger in the near future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at North Island Credit Union (More than 10 years)

Pros

Members and employees will receive many benefits from the merger of North Island Credit Union with California Credit Union.

Cons

Employee benefits were reduced in 2008 due to economic downturn. Good news is they have gotten better and with merger will be good.

Advice to Management

As the credit union expands continue to be accessible to members and staff.

4. "Bright Future"

I have been working at North Island Credit Union full-time

Pros

I have been an employee of North Island for over 11 years. During this time, I’ve worked directly for management of all levels in different departments, worked under the leadership of several different executives, and now 3 separate Chief Executive Officers. As anyone can see, I have a wide view of how this financial institution was and is being managed. In all my years working for this company, there has never been a better atmosphere, been more financially viable, or better managed from an executive level then today. In the past, being able to move up professionally was not based on merit, but was decided on who you are friends with, which for good employees, created a frustrating work environment. I believe this is evident by the past performance, and near demise, of this credit union. It is further evident by today’s financial results, stemming from happy and motivated employees (because they are thriving and most importantly being recognized and in some cases promoted for their achievements). Since our new CEO and executives have arrived, I have NOT been promoted but my contributions are recognized and I feel appreciated from every level below and above me. The reason I emphasize “NOT” being promoted should not be viewed as a gripe, but to show that my reflection of this company is unbiased and solely motivated by working at a company that I am proud to call my work home. The success of any company starts at the top, by the executive and board leadership. Their leadership trickles down to the employees who are ultimately the face of the company. I’m a proud face of this company because I want to work hard for my manager, our executives, and our board. Without these leadership components being successful, I would not be successful, as attitude reflects leadership. Finally, I often say that true leadership is not a title given but a duty that is naturally designated to an individual or group. I believe that our leadership team has earned this designation and we have a bright future ahead of us.

Cons

Changes have been made and more are coming... just wish the changes could happen a little faster. But, I realize changes take time.

"President /CEO"

Former Employee - President/Chief Executive Officer in Brewerton, NY
    Former Employee - President/Chief Executive Officer in Brewerton, NY

I worked at North Island Credit Union (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Staff and Team Culture when I was there...

Cons

Board Politics, and "Blame Management" when I was there

Advice to Management

After 22 years as the former CEO I would just add a BIG Thank You to Mary, Roger, and Ron for their Friendship & Loyalty

6. "Small Credit-Union - Family Feel"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in San Diego, CA

I worked at North Island Credit Union part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment wasn't stressful, only when frustrated members got upset. I loved my co-workers and we treated each other like family. We all loved the members as well and almost always saw the same people. Paid holidays.

Cons

2 weeks of vacation, days given by seniority. Mediocre pay.

7. "Bill Cademy"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at North Island Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent employer - they really care about their people as human beings, and not "just another resource." When they had to lay me off (due to restructuring) they were very open and up-front about it.
    Mark Firestone is a great man to work for. Not only does he understand the needs of the financial industry from an IT viewpoint, but he also understands the needs of his people, and will do whatever he can to support their individual needs.
    If they were to ask me, I would go back to work there in a heartbeat.

Cons

As with most companies in America, they always look for shortcuts to save on budget. Sometimes these shortcuts backfire.

Advice to Management

Be willing to spend a little more on staff/infrastructure to ensure 7/24 availability of computer systems.

8. "Healthy work Environment"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at North Island Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

North Island really does make sure their employees are cared for. They have pretty good benefits and they encourage training.

Cons

Incentive plan and decisions made by upper management in regards to incentive plan. They're always changing it and changing things last minute so they don't have to pay out as much.

Advice to Management

You guys have great ideas but be a little more involved and friendly when going out to the branches. Of the two of you, I've seen, not one acknowledged any branch personnel.

9. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Compliance in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Compliance in San Diego, CA

I have been working at North Island Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good new leadership with an outstanding outlook. Survived the recession and remained independent to the wants of our members. Centralized location and good rapport in our community.

Cons

Slowly implementing incentives but they are being implemented. Continual building in our loan portfolio has created a bit of a back log in our back office personnel. Imaging standard are lacking but improving.

Advice to Management

Build peer to peer relations. No new employee introduction.

10. "North Island Credit Union is a joke!"

Former Employee - Msr in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Msr in San Diego, CA

I worked at North Island Credit Union part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a Credit Union, that's about it!

Cons

Most of the employees are rude and don't deserve jobs in customer service. If you're unhappy QUIT! Obviously, the employees are a reflection of their management. What does that say for a company?

Advice to Management

Please please please replace 95% of your employees with people who will appreciate their job. Offer a customer service training class.