North Island Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Stephen O'Connell
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Merger in the near future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at North Island Credit Union (More than 10 years)

Pros

Members and employees will receive many benefits from the merger of North Island Credit Union with California Credit Union.

Cons

Employee benefits were reduced in 2008 due to economic downturn. Good news is they have gotten better and with merger will be good.

Advice to Management

As the credit union expands continue to be accessible to members and staff.

2. "Bill Cademy"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at North Island Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent employer - they really care about their people as human beings, and not "just another resource." When they had to lay me off (due to restructuring) they were very open and up-front about it.
    Mark Firestone is a great man to work for. Not only does he understand the needs of the financial industry from an IT viewpoint, but he also understands the needs of his people, and will do whatever he can to support their individual needs.
    If they were to ask me, I would go back to work there in a heartbeat.

Cons

As with most companies in America, they always look for shortcuts to save on budget. Sometimes these shortcuts backfire.

Advice to Management

Be willing to spend a little more on staff/infrastructure to ensure 7/24 availability of computer systems.

3. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Compliance in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Compliance in San Diego, CA

I have been working at North Island Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good new leadership with an outstanding outlook. Survived the recession and remained independent to the wants of our members. Centralized location and good rapport in our community.

Cons

Slowly implementing incentives but they are being implemented. Continual building in our loan portfolio has created a bit of a back log in our back office personnel. Imaging standard are lacking but improving.

Advice to Management

Build peer to peer relations. No new employee introduction.

4. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

They are not the largest employer so career advancement is somewhat limited but they care about their employees and do their best to do right by them.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities due to size of company

Advice to Management

I think you guys did a great job and when i was laid off I appreciated that you cared.

5. "Bright Future"

I have been working at North Island Credit Union full-time

Pros

I have been an employee of North Island for over 11 years. During this time, I’ve worked directly for management of all levels in different departments, worked under the leadership of several different executives, and now 3 separate Chief Executive Officers. As anyone can see, I have a wide view of how this financial institution was and is being managed. In all my years working for this company, there has never been a better atmosphere, been more financially viable, or better managed from an executive level then today. In the past, being able to move up professionally was not based on merit, but was decided on who you are friends with, which for good employees, created a frustrating work environment. I believe this is evident by the past performance, and near demise, of this credit union. It is further evident by today’s financial results, stemming from happy and motivated employees (because they are thriving and most importantly being recognized and in some cases promoted for their achievements). Since our new CEO and executives have arrived, I have NOT been promoted but my contributions are recognized and I feel appreciated from every level below and above me. The reason I emphasize “NOT” being promoted should not be viewed as a gripe, but to show that my reflection of this company is unbiased and solely motivated by working at a company that I am proud to call my work home. The success of any company starts at the top, by the executive and board leadership. Their leadership trickles down to the employees who are ultimately the face of the company. I’m a proud face of this company because I want to work hard for my manager, our executives, and our board. Without these leadership components being successful, I would not be successful, as attitude reflects leadership. Finally, I often say that true leadership is not a title given but a duty that is naturally designated to an individual or group. I believe that our leadership team has earned this designation and we have a bright future ahead of us.

Cons

Changes have been made and more are coming... just wish the changes could happen a little faster. But, I realize changes take time.