North Orange County Community College District Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Program Manager"

I have been working at North Orange County Community College District full-time

Pros

Excellent community doing excellent work.

Cons

No option for raise or bonus

2. "Terrible place to work"

Pros

Pay, although benefits are expensive for the market

Cons

Management, fellow staff, cost of benefits

Advice to Management

Management feels entitled. Show up late leave early.

The fellow staff members spy on each other.

Small things are micromanaged while the big stuff that costs money is ignored.

3. "lab assistant"

Pros

great hands-on experience with lab equipment and chemical inventory. supervisors are friendly and very helpful

Cons

No full-time employment available, only part-time.

5. "Tuition Instructor"

Former Employee - School of Continuing Education Professional Expert Tuition Instructor in Fullerton, CA

I worked at North Orange County Community College District (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment to instruct tuition based students. Kids College Program - Sports

Cons

No cons with the program.

6. "Not bad"

I worked at North Orange County Community College District part-time

Pros

Stable district, financially. Small enough campuses to easily navigate.

Cons

Grading was difficult to manage. Not enough consideration for adjuncts.

Advice to Management

Have adjunct offices, easier access to health care.

"District Administration could care less about staff"

I worked at North Orange County Community College District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is the best salary and health care around!

Cons

If you are staff, you are trampled upon. I respect that it is a learning institution, but many of the staff are as well educated as the faculty. The word tenure does not mean god.

8. "OAP Instructor"

I have been working at North Orange County Community College District part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good pay, great retirement plan and you can accrue time off the more hours you put in. Office staff is really nice, especially the administrative assistant who has been there the longest. I feel they really advocate for our program to continue.

Cons

No health benefits. The state keeps adding and changing regulations which has been making it very difficult to keep
    up with all the changes and additional requirements. It seems that the state keeps trying to find reasons to cancel our programs, which makes it difficult for us to feel at rest about being able to keep our job almost every year.

9. "casual environment"

Pros

very flexible with scheduling, good pay.

Cons

mostly part time employment, so no benefits

10. "A great place to work."

Pros

It is a rare pleasure to be surrounded by incredibly competent and caring coworkers. SCE offers decent pay, an embracing attitude, and a chance to make real change in real people's lives.

Cons

Working for any public institute comes with bureaucracy. There are also strange hourly restrictions for many positions.

"Overly bureaucratic and siloed. Toxic culture. Improving in some areas as previous management dies/retires."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

I worked at North Orange County Community College District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Worked in the Information Services department several years ago. I'm posting this review as their are significant things perspective employees should know about. The previous management team was mostly homegrown talent that came up through the ranks. Few had any real management training and they typically led through fear and intimidation. There are still lots of these folks left throughout the District. The new management team (in Information Services) improved things dramatically but sadly the changes came mostly after I departed. Lots of paid vacation and flexible work schedules. Helping students is very satisfying. I would never go back to work for my previous managers, but the new managers in the department are an excellent group that anyone would enjoy working with.

Cons

Under previous management NOCCCD was very siloed and management was much more concerned with controlling and expanding their influence instead of serving the students and staff. Every new initiative/project was viewed through the lens of "how does this threaten me" or "how can I use this to my advantage." Changes in the management team (due to retirements) brought in new blood that dramatically transformed the culture in the department I worked for.

Salaries are on the low end for IT professionals.

It's very easy to "hide" at a place like this by doing the minimum and "flying below the radar." This can be very demotivating and create some very bad habits that won't serve you well elsewhere.

Management is simply not held to account by anyone. There was a manager at Cypress College who was so bad virtually their entire team had requested a lateral transfer to ANYWHERE else. The team lost one great member after another yet upper management failed to react and behaved as if they were unaware or indifferent to this failed manager. Management is absolutely paralyzed and mostly dysfunctional. Each department varies, of course, so make sure you get a good feel for who you'll be working for and talk to the team members. There are some fantastic folks to work for, and some real horrible ones. Ask about the department culture, management, etc. Sadly, this lack of good management often results in new hires who are more interested in slacking off than they are in being challenged.

Advice to Management

Do not treat managers life they have a lifetime appointment. Establish meaningful metrics and goals at all management levels and hold management accountable for performance. Strictly limit the amount of time a manager can spend doing ancillary activities like serving on committees so they are focused on their actual jobs.