North Shore Community College Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Enrollment Center"

Former Intern - Work Study Student in Danvers, MA
    Former Intern - Work Study Student in Danvers, MA

I worked at North Shore Community College as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional and caring office people. No gossip. Good energy. Looked forward to going.

Cons

Contract gets renewed couple times a year. Hours offered are minimal.

2. "Highly recommend"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Danvers, MA

I have been working at North Shore Community College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborative and friendly colleagues, they are fantastic at promoting from within

Cons

Working in academia can lead to painfully long processes

3. "my experience at this school"

Former Employee - Assessment Specialist in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Assessment Specialist in Danvers, MA

I worked at North Shore Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location was near my residence.

Cons

staff and students were rude. Students were NOT interested in their studies.

Advice to Management

Management needs to set fixed rules and not change rules on a whim and based on their personal student preferences.

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynn, MA

I worked at North Shore Community College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great camaraderie among colleagues. It is what you make it. The college is active in the community...there is always something to participate in. The college is located near the ocean, so you will have a great place to go for a lunch break.

Cons

You may have to sometimes deal with cliques, power/control hungry managers who micromanage/abuse their position, and witnessing that those around you may not be under the same HR policies as you.

5. "Peer Tutor"

Current Employee - Peer Tutor in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Peer Tutor in Danvers, MA

I have been working at North Shore Community College (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a lot of fun working with students, peers amongst myself and the coworkers are a great group of people, very supportive.

Cons

Very unorganized, first come first serve kind of deal and no real training structure. Kids usually just come to get help with a graded assignment than trying to learn anything supportive.

"Friendly Place - Your Experience Will Depend on Your Department"

Former Employee - Instructor in Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Lynn, MA

I worked at North Shore Community College (More than 3 years)

Pros

A very favorable full-time/part-time faculty ratio when compared to other community colleges. Respect for academic freedom. Friendly coworkers. Opportunities to take on interesting side projects and explore professional interests on an ad-hoc basis. Many of the individual faculty and professionals on the support staff are skilled, creative, and amazing. NSCC recently hired a new President and VP so the institution is in a state of transition--there are potential opportunities for faculty and administrators to positively impact the future of NSCC.

Cons

Heavy workloads and challenges with gaining administrative support can make it difficult to organize side-projects with other faculty. Very low pay for the Boston Metro area. Professional development funds for organizational memberships and conferences are very limited and difficult to procure. Declining enrollment is a challenge, though one that institutional leadership seems to be planning for. Departmental politics can get ugly and there can be an aversion to change.

Advice to Management

I see the need to build institutional capacity and admire your efforts in this area, but continue to listen to and respect your faculty. Don't skimp on professional development--one, because it's so important for instilling a positive institutional culture, and two because this is one area where you can either retain or alienate your top performers. NSCC is an incredible and important institution on the North Shore--I'll continue to wish you the best.

7. "A good place to work--though lots of changes happening"

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Danvers, MA

I have been working at North Shore Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid benefits for union employees.
    Some great colleagues.
    Many people passionate about their work and excited to be involved with education.

Cons

A lot of senior management changes and changes as a result that has been creating low moral. Independent departments try to have flexibility, but HR generally doesn't support schedule flexibility.

8. "Adjunct Faculty"

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Lynn, MA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Lynn, MA

Pros

The students are great. Very interested in learning.
    The services that the college provides are helpful to so many people.

Cons

Adjunct faculty isn't as well connected as full-time faculty.

"Great student job or extra $$"

Current Employee - Computer Lab Tech/I T Assistant in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Computer Lab Tech/I T Assistant in Danvers, MA

Pros

Great job for a student. Hours are flexible, and lots of free time to do home work etc. Occasional assisting of the IT dept, but nothing too difficult and on the upside you usually get to learn something from the ordeal. Also, assisting students with questions, although sometimes aggravating, usually tends to be a rewarding experience.

Cons

As mentioned, this is mainly a student job or for extra money. There is no room for growth, and in the time I've been there I've only received one small raise (0.25 $) - although there is a pay cap, so upwards monetary mobility is limited. I show a good amount of incentive to do projects etc, but this is for personal gain-as mentioned it is a go no where position. Also, weekly hours are limited to 20 or <

Advice to Management

This is a college, so the hierarchy of bureaucratic joy prevents many opportunities. My advice, although purely ideological, would be to allow for upward mobility for those that show incentive

10. "Pleasant working atmosphere for work-study student."

Current Intern - Office Assistant in Danvers, MA
    Current Intern - Office Assistant in Danvers, MA

I have been working at North Shore Community College as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Convenient location, well maintained campus, relaxed working environment. Good experience for resume.

Cons

Low pay scale but consistent with work-study positions.