North Shore-LIJ Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

North Shore-LIJ Health System is now known as Northwell Health. We at Northwell Health have the power to transform small actions into something life changing. We’re a team united by one core purpose — to deliver world-class service and patient-centered care. Explore more now.

North Shore-LIJ Health System Reviews

Updated March 4, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
North Shore-LIJ Health System President and CEO Michael J. Dowling
Michael J. Dowling

Pros
Cons
  • The workload is heavy but they provide a flexible schedule that enables you to have work life balance while keeping productivity high (in 9 reviews)

• Benefits are better for higher paid positions, however there is room for growth if you are an employee here (in 6 reviews)

1. "Rn"

Former Employee - Psych RN in Glen Oaks, NY
    Former Employee - Psych RN in Glen Oaks, NY

I worked at North Shore-LIJ Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pros include salary, benefits, job schedule flexibility and amount of time off. They also give you cash bonus and school reimbursement for futhering education

Cons

Administration can be quite difficult to work with because their main concern seems to be about the money the hospital brings in and less about patient safety and quality of care. They can be reasoned with but usually only after several verbal battles

2. "Strong union"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in New York, NY

I worked at North Shore-LIJ Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If 1199 union, then Ok. Unionized positions are ok, else, not sure. Overall, good company to work for.

Cons

Some supervisors are king in their kingdom, abusing their power. Some racial issues about high paid positions. Non unionized positions not easy

Advice to Management

Oversee managers, perform frequent anonymous surveys

3. "RN"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Kew Gardens, NY
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Kew Gardens, NY

I worked at North Shore-LIJ Health System (More than 3 years)

Pros

ok place to work in

Cons

needs electronic medical record system.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

5. "Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT | ADMINISTRATION in Great Neck, NY
    Former Employee - EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT | ADMINISTRATION in Great Neck, NY

I worked at North Shore-LIJ Health System (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed every day working in Administration.

Cons

To please allow employees more development courses to take, off site.

North Shore-LIJ Health System Response

Dec 1, 2016 – Candidate Engagement

Thank you for feedback. Have you looked at our free course offerings at the Center for Learning and Innovation lately? We offer many off-site courses that you could enjoy to expand your educational ... More

6. "lenox hill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at North Shore-LIJ Health System part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people, clean, available hours,

Cons

not enough overtime, messed up checks to often so make sure to keep track of your hours worked

"administration is tooooo big"

Former Employee - Nurse - NP in Manhasset, NY
    Former Employee - Nurse - NP in Manhasset, NY

I worked at North Shore-LIJ Health System (More than 10 years)

Pros

co-workers make the world of difference - very dedicated group of professionals

Cons

administration is out of hand - too much emphasis on branching out

Advice to Management

spend some time with the hardworking employees and see what is really important

North Shore-LIJ Health System Response

Dec 1, 2016 – Candidate Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. We love that our team members have Northwell Health pride and are truly dedicated to our mission of driving health care forward. Thank you for being apart of our team!

"Manager, Finance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbury, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbury, NY

I worked at North Shore-LIJ Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Professional environment, generous benefit package, lots of vacation days. Great group of people.

Cons

The environment in Finance department was too uptight and corporate-like, 'by the book', and not entrepreneurial. Obligatory work on Saturdays during the year-end close, even for employees whose job functions were not directly linked to the year end close. Top-down management structure.

Advice to Management

Finance management should learn to evaluate employees by performance, productivity and the final result rather than the amount of hours worked.

"Great technology..good hospitals...Horrible work culture"

Former Employee - Senior Practice Coordinator in Manhasset Hills, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Practice Coordinator in Manhasset Hills, NY

Pros

You are part of a large Health .

Cons

The pressure Northwell puts on Doctors who just signed on the dotted line (bait and switch...) it's all about the bottom line. I.e. I know a hand surgeon who has to see (60) SIXTY patients a day, yes I said 60 patients a day, just to make a decent living!!!!! That's less than 8 minutes per patient, and he's a surgeon! They also lose any autonomy they were promised. In addition to this money driven system that takes the quality and time a dr spends with a patient totally out of the equation, and has a horrific culture.

Advice to Management

If you say that it is going to be a certain way before a Dr signs on with you, it should be straight forward and not a surprise that a surgeon now has to see 60 patients just to make a decent living! And if you want the culture to change, it has to start from the top down.

10. "North Shore-LIJ was once the place to be!"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Manhasset, NY
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Manhasset, NY

Pros

Working at the hospital was great because it was like its very own community. Everybody knew each other and it was a very nice environment. Pay was decent, benefits were great and you had a generous amount of PTO.

Cons

The hospital ended up selling several departments to a West Coast based company and the benefits they were offering were horrible so that is why I looked elsewhere. As long as you are working for Northwell Health, formerly known as North Shore, you are golden.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be to simply hold people accountable. Like many healthcare systems they have an "avoidant attitude" so a lot of people get away with murder. Another thing I would recommend is that the facility not sell anymore of their loyal staff members.

11. "CLT"

Former Employee - Laboratory Technologist in Manhasset, NY
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technologist in Manhasset, NY

I worked at North Shore-LIJ Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good health benefits.
    Good amount of PTO, managers are flexible with PTO requests.
    Good match to retirement plans.
    Proper training.
    Clean work stations.

Cons

It could be tricky to keep health insurance "in system" when clerks don't understand the proper procedures to submit claims.
    It is not easy to move to other shifts.
    Some co workers does not like manager gave special approvals to colleagues needed a longer time off.

Advice to Management

Lift the limit for max vacation time from 2 weeks to 4 weeks for all employees. What's good to give people so many PTO but don't let them use it?