North Star Resource Group Reviews

Updated Mar 6, 2021

4.3
North Star Resource Group Chief Executive Officer Edward G. Deutschlander (no image)
Edward G. Deutschlander
Pros
  • "I very much enjoyed learning about what a career as a financial advisor looks like, and the usefulness of practical personal financial knowledge(in 9 reviews)

• "All around a great place to work(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "You’re going to start with a low pay: and who knows when the heck you’ll ever get to a point when you’ll ever be satisfied(in 8 reviews)

• "They are not interested in developing team members to further their career with the company, unless they wish to become a financial advisor(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Fantastic all-around!

Feb 15, 2021 - Team Member - Benefits Administration
      Business Outlook

Pros

After having worked at my previous employer for over 20 years (business closed), I had no idea what to expect transitioning to North Star Resource Group. I have now been here a year and I can say I'm impressed on a daily basis at how much North Star supports its team members. Most positions allow the flexibility to work from home, which is definitely a nice perk! Generous benefits package, team-building and team-appreciation events throughout the year, a CEO who is visible and approachable, and a friendly and accepting atmosphere are additional benefits of working here. If you're looking to apply here, GO FOR IT - you won't regret it!

Cons

In all honesty I cannot think of a single one!

Continue reading
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company filled with great people!

Feb 2, 2021 - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really friendly and kind people work here who genuinely want to do good for their clients. Lot's of freedom and independence for their advisors.

Cons

Lack of marketing support. Could use some more diversity.

3. 5.0

Supportive Culture, Built on Strong Values

Jan 25, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am consistently amazed by the support I receive at North Star. From my immediate teammates to top C-suite executives, the people at North Star truly care about you and provide kindness and encouragement at every turn. When my family's situation changed due to COVID, North Star provided options to extend my remote work capabilities, and they met my compensation needs on top of all the other fantastic work-life balance and benefits they offer.

Cons

Sometimes we lack diversity in hiring. I would love to see more internal promotions and a stronger focus on bringing more gender and race diversity into a notoriously white male industry.

Continue reading
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good company

Mar 6, 2021 - Investment Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

None that I can think of

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Typical office environment

Mar 4, 2021 - Marketing Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people, very chill and no micromanaging

Cons

Low office camaraderie, not much room for growth

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

A Company Focused on Client Service and Culture

Nov 4, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

North Star values and helps develop individuals who truly own their role within the firm and choose to contribute above and beyond what's traditionally expected.

Cons

The operational flexibility the firm has offered team members during the pandemic has left some of us missing those casual in-office conversations we'd taken for granted.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

I'm a lifer

Oct 29, 2020 - Vice President in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

One of the most important things to me is family, and North Star greatly respects the needs of my family. Covid has been difficult for a lot of people but having a child that needs extra attention is even more challenging while trying to work remotely. North Star has been so supportive and flexible with my needs. I've been here 12 years now and it's simple things like this that make this such a special place that I'll never leave.

Cons

Coming from an entry level position to now being a Vice President, I've seen all levels of this firm. The biggest challenge we have is maintaining a National culture. We do a pretty good job of it, but because we are in so many states it can be difficult to get to know people from other states if you don't interact with them on a regular basis. Lastly, I'd say that it's incredibly difficult to attract a diverse group of employees. We definitely try but there's something about the Finance world that seems to make it more difficult.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

World Class Financial Organization

Oct 28, 2020 - Financial Planner In SAN Diego, CA in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The team support with salaried positioned specialists in every area of financial planning is world class. Early in my career, the mentorship with a senior advisor was key to my success. Mentors are typically only growing a couple of advisors at a time, compared to many firms which might hire a dozen at the same moment and see who sticks. The independence of North Star and not being tied to any specific insurance or fund family is a huge Pro to this firm. There is a rich history since 1908, with the main management focus on supporting the advisors.

Cons

The website needs to be improved and online lead generation supported by the home office could use improvement

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazin

Oct 26, 2020 - Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to start a career for finance

Cons

Location isn't always great for offices

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A wonderful place to work

Oct 7, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Flexibility -Community -Respectful coworkers -Respectful Supervisors -Good benefits package -Fun work atmosphere -Work life balance -Good onsite gym

Cons

So far my experience at North Star has been great and there really hasn't been any cons. I think overall the company is ran well!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 135 English Reviews