North Star Resource Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Edward G. Deutschlander

Pros
  • 1/3 of the Financial Advisors are fun, and bonus their support staff since the company decided to stop giving raises 5 years ago (in 5 reviews)

• Jacobs Financial is great place to work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • If you really wan't to be considered for a full time job, you must put in some pretty long hours (in 7 reviews)

• Takes a lot of hard work and long hours to build successful practice (in 6 reviews)

1. "Financial Advisor at North Star"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture and the people. North Star focuses on establishing young professionals whom have a drive to help others and succeed in their personal and business lives. As a Financial Advisor, you must be willing to accept responsibility for your own actions and hold yourself accountable, even when no one is watching. North Star allows for the autonomy of the individual advisor and their practice, but provides the structure, mentor ship, and resources required to establish a sustainable, and attractive, financial advising practice.

Cons

Having the internal drive to succeed is a mandatory requirement to the firm, along with holding yourself accountable when others are not there. Being a Financial Advisor is a challenging career, and you will need (not required) to work long hours, often after everyone else has left the office, without the 'overtime' or gold sticker.

Advice to Management

Keep on the same direction, Ed Deutschlander is moving in the right direction!

2. "Great culture, great people, independent product offerings"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked here over 8 years and my experience has been nothing but positive. Even when I struggled in one position, they helped me find a path that would allow me to succeed in another. They care about their people but only if you care enough back to be the best version of yourself. Great flexibility, great career potential, fair compensation. As an expert in my field, I like that I have the choice of products that I can propose without having bias towards one company.

Cons

Like any career worthwhile, you get out of it what you put in. It can be very difficult to be a new advisor and if you don't have the work ethic or the mental fortitude to hear someone say No, then this isn't a great career path. But if you can't make it here you won't make it anywhere else in this field.

Advice to Management

Be more open to technology advancements (understanding that compliance is a major part of the decision). Working with millennials requires better technology and we can't be slow to change and adapt.

3. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

For those who are passionate about becoming a Financial Advisor, North Star Resource Group is a great place to begin, grow, and establish your practice. Here at North Star Resource Group they give you the tools and guidance to be successful. The management here is supportive and fully invested in your success as a Financial Advisor.

Cons

You have to be willing to put in the long hours and hard work.

5. "Financial Advisor"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at North Star Resource Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive company culture, caring and fun co workers. You will be given every opportunity to succeed.

Cons

Must be a self disciplined self starter, you are responsible for your own success. This makes the success rate low for those requiring great direction.

6. "Whole life insurance will be your main financial product."

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a good place to work if you would like to be a whole life insurance sales person.

Cons

Management describes your job as a financial advisor. Truth is, they want you to sell whole life insurance. Many times I told them I wasn't comfortable promoting whole life insurance as my main product. It was obvious management was not happy with this. Very frustrating place for me to work. If you go into the job knowing you are a whole life insurance sales person, you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

Be up front with people when they first start. It is true, we are licensed to sell many financial products, although I think I'd be a lot less frustrated with the job if I knew at the beginning that my main Goto financial tool was going to be whole life insurance.

"if you're looking to get into the industry, look elsewhere"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Charismatic people dupe you into thinking you're making a difference.

Cons

You'll be doing everyone else's work, and they will get paid, but you likely won't. Also, since they sic you on your friends and family, prepare to lose a lot of social contacts. The better advisors to learn from often don't want or have time for new advisors, so you get the bottom of the barrel. If you want to be set up to fail, this is your place. If you do work there, expect to be undercompensated. I just got a check for a small sum of money 5 years after I left.

Advice to Management

Quit letting RVPs compete against each other. The one-upmanship forces new advisors to be partnered with senior advisors that are poor fits, just to stroke some guy's ego.

8. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Austin, TX

Pros

Very friendly environment, and mentors are ready to help those that need it. There's lots of pay potential, but it requires that you put in a lot of effort and work. The quality of mentorship is honestly the biggest pro from NorthStar.

Cons

Having a salary largely decided by commission and performance is a little disheartening, however, this can be easily overcome with a little hard work, and simply doing the job you're supposed to.

Advice to Management

Pay a little more generously, and do a better job of explaining the career routes for those that are completely new to financial advising. Be sure to mention that it is not a career for everyone.

9. "If you work hard and are coachable the rest will come."

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" - Vince Lombardi

Cons

This isn’t the correct path for those looking for simply a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication open.

10. "New Business Coordinator"

Former Employee - New Business Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - New Business Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great staff and working conditions

Cons

Poor agency management, difficult to get raises unless you are an agent who can earn commissions, very little recognition

11. "Intern"

Current Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, extremely flexible with time! Very easy to work here as a student, and keep good grades.

Cons

The pay is a little lower than other companies, possibly good to add commission on top of base pay.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! The senior leadership team is so inspiring, keep it up!