North Star Resource Group Reviews | Glassdoor

North Star Resource Group Reviews

Updated Feb 23, 2020

4.2
North Star Resource Group Chief Executive Officer Edward G. Deutschlander (no image)
Edward G. Deutschlander
Pros
  • "All around a great place to work(in 9 reviews)

• "I very much enjoyed learning about what a career as a financial advisor looks like, and the usefulness of practical personal financial knowledge(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay compared to other internships(in 9 reviews)

• "Low pay, hard work, late work hours(in 7 reviews)

"Not just a firm, but a family!"

in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group

Pros

If you do not want to spend every day at your “home away from home” this is NOT the firm for you. I attended a wedding this weekend celebrating the marriage of 2 of the firms employees. The largest group of individuals attending the celebration were all from North Star! This firm, and the people, really care. I cannot imagine my life without showing up here and serving alongside these amazing people everyday.

Cons

Like many firms we are growing - so there can be challenges associated with this but North Star is doing better at adapting and being open to new ideas and technology & marketing needs.

North Star Resource Group2020-02-23

"A Firm that values dedication & collaboration"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The firm's committed to growth - both through company expansion as well as Team/Advisor development. The strong culture ensures the right people stay and thrive in their roles.

Cons

We're in an industry that will continually evolve - trends, technology, regulations, etc. This isn't specific to our firm, but is an ongoing challenge.

North Star Resource Group2020-02-07
  3. "Actively looking, Just punching the time clock"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company and it's culture is passionate about giving back to the community. They offer employees complimentary snacks 3 days a week, as well as recognition and prizes on a monthly basis. They are transparent about the company's growth, and progress, and offer a nice profit sharing bonus each year if the financials have grown or remain steady. There are a lot of nice people who work here. There is a nice amount of PTO to start with and decent flexibility. The CEO is truly wonderful and has a much more comprehensive view of the "big picture". He shows everyone his appreciation for their efforts, personally. All upper management should be on the same page as Ed Deutschlander.

Cons

They are not interested in developing team members to further their career with the company, unless they wish to become a financial advisor. The culture is one of a "Good Old Boys Club", in that there is a lot of behavior and talk not befitting of a progressive, professional, organization by SOME of the upper management and long-time, old-school, financial advisors. They do not promote from within, as most team members are treated as easily replaceable, and kept exactly where they started, until you leave and must be replaced. Non-advisors are devalued regularly by being told they are not important to the organization. The compensation for team members is far below current market value for the same positions within the same cities. Their 6 core values are nice words, but don't apply to everyone.

North Star Resource Group2020-01-22

North Star Resource Group Response

February 20, 2020North Star Resource Group

Thank you for your review! We are thrilled to share that North Star has had a number of internal promotions over the last 5 years. Many individuals at North Star have been promoted to new roles, with new responsibilities! We have also added additional management positions allowing for internal growth! North Star is a firm that values and celebrates our team members. We celebrate and highlight individuals through monthly recognition and at our Annual Team Member recognition event held off campus.

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, perks, and bagel Wednesdays!

Cons

Team members are located all across the country, tough to connect sometimes.

North Star Resource Group2020-01-06

North Star Resource Group Response

February 3, 2020North Star Resource Group

Thank you for your review! We are thrilled that you find our benefits valuable. We also enjoy our Bagel Wednesdays!

Continue reading
  5. "Client Relationship Coordinator"

Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group

Pros

Great mission and vision Able to build relationship with your senior advisor Very relax environment

Cons

Lack of training for what is needed for the job As a financial company, north star is FAR behind the industry standard when it comes to compensation!!! Awful, worst company ever, minimum wage, over worked and UNDER PAID! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME HERE.

North Star Resource Group2020-01-04

"Volunteering with NS"

Current Employee - Practice Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I recently accompanied many NS employees to Feed Our Starving Children, a charity that invites volunteers to help package food that goes all over the world. We were compensated for the time off work as well!

Cons

While you do receive Volunteer Time Off, you only receive 8 hours/year.

North Star Resource Group2019-11-25

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

There’s a lot of room to learn and grow here, and the office space is very nice! Coworkers are great too

Cons

The benefit packages could be better

North Star Resource Group2019-10-11
  8. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - New Business Coordinator

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is so Friendly and Caring. North Star is so flexible and accommodating. As long as you get your work done you will not be bother!

Cons

Training employees in is something they do need to work on

North Star Resource Group2019-10-11
  9. "Love this company!"

Current Employee - Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible hours, caring and kind coworkers, everyone helps everyone. Upper management always wants to give recognition no matter how small the task or feat which I think helps encourage any employee. All around a great place to work.

Cons

None that I can think of.

North Star Resource Group2019-10-08
  10. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

This job has everything that people are looking for in a job. Amazing people, great benefits, and in this environment you can really tell that they care about all their employees and their clients. They also really take their time to train you in exactly what you will be working on.

Cons

I haven't found any cons.

North Star Resource Group2019-10-09