North Star Resource Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Edward G. Deutschlander

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to work, with wonderfully caring & helpful people, located in a beautiful glass office overlooking the green belt (in 6 reviews)

• Supportive company culture, caring and fun co workers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • If you really wan't to be considered for a full time job, you must put in some pretty long hours (in 7 reviews)

• Takes a lot of hard work and long hours to build successful practice (in 6 reviews)

1. "Push Yourself Up"

Current Employee - Support Staff in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can get opportunities to move up in the company if you push for them.
    No micro-managing.
    Flexible Schedule (within reason).
    Good amount of PTO.
    Highly ethical.
    Work hard for a more community based environment.

Cons

You really need to push yourself to exceed and ask for opportunities. I put this as a con because sometimes it is not clear what your options are if you are new to the industry or unclear on what North Star has to offer. Management or your boss will not always tell you how to get to your next step. I cannot imagine this would be much different at another financial company. No drive = no success.
    Pay sucks. Definitely paid less at North Star in all support roles than other companies. Had a conversation with the CEO on this once, he was rather proud of it.

Advice to Management

Give better information on how to move up, not everyone wants to be an advisor. Almost none of the upper management team are advisors anymore.
    Give work from home options to exceptional employees who once in a while want to work at home (and do not need anything more than their computer to do so).
    Obviously, pay more.

"If career growth is not in your plans and ok with minimal directions"

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some flexibility(depends in your relationship with your manager). Little micro managing to none. If your are an independent worker and seeks no guidance then this will work out for you. Some fun company events (bbq, fundraisers etc)

Cons

Non-existent on-boarding process, company driven from top bottem. No transparent at any level. If you are used to working in a team environment, forget it your on your own to seek a friendly conversation. The HR team or equivalent are not placed in 1 area, so its hard to connect and collaborate anything. Major help. If you are looking for growth- you have to throw yourself out there and prove it and then maybe a position will be created. So in a nutshell, the entrepreneur spirit the advisors are encouraged to be is also expected in employees looking to grow..

Advice to Management

Build a unified HR team, encourage and support continuing education for employees not just advisors. Be more transparent. Give employee credit and recognition for their hard work.

3. "You Don't Want to Work Here"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A majority of the other advisors are kind and helpful. The marketing department made things much easier for me.

Cons

You are told you will receive a $1,500 a month stipend with additional bonuses but after all the fees, charges, and other things North Star charges you it is more like $500. You are promised a 1 on 1 relationship with a senior advisor but in reality it will be you and 9 other new advisors paired up with 1 advisor who has only been in the industry for a few years. You are made promises after promises but you are set up to fail because they have an inconsistent, unproven onboarding system.

Advice to Management

Figure out a consistent way to actually keep people at North Star.

4. "Austin branch review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, with wonderfully caring & helpful people, located in a beautiful glass office overlooking the green belt. Financial advisers are trustworthy and knowledgeable individuals, with a solid group of coordinators seeing that everything operates as smooth as possible.

Cons

Due to the nature of the business, the work in an administrative capacity can be tedious and extremely detail oreiented. This suited my personality well but saw first hand how other inexperienced individuals quickly left after realizing the massive amount of information to learn regarding insurance, securities, paperwork and regulations.

Advice to Management

Keep reflecting & improving, as any successful place must do!

"Better jobs/internships out there"

Current Employee - Current Employee
    Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good experience cold-calling, that's about it.

Cons

Very disorganized company. Liked to play favorites, and the training program was subpar at best. You are on your own, with no one to really ask questions to. Unfriendly environment.

Advice to Management

Get a better training program, as well as HR team. The company as a whole is extremely unorganized. Take a look at your employees for who they really are, stop playing favorites. The culture is a mess.

6. "not a fan"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, nice people, offers benefits, SOME room for growth

Cons

disorganized, low pay, high stress, terrible training regime

Advice to Management

get a proper training regime for your new employees instead of just tossing them into the mix and hoping they will flourish. Get an IT dept who knows what they are doing. Make pay more fair for employees who work hard for bosses who are making 10x their assistants are.

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and lots of opportunity for young advisors

Cons

A lot of work on the front end, but comes with the territory. Not really a con but glassdoor made me put something in this space

8. "Financial Advisor"

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

Management at my specific office was fantastic to work with. Very ethical and fun to be around. They are doing good things.

Cons

You should basically view it as a 90% commission job for a company with bad benefits. I also was uncomfortable portraying myself as an "independent" advisor when clearly we pushed a specific life Insurance company from Minnesota and used a broker owned by the owners of Northstar with much more expensive costs than are necessary.

Advice to Management

You would retain better long term advisors if compensation was at a professional level. It appears that this is set up almost intentionally so that new hires bring contacts to senior advisors instead of actually having the long term interest in mind of advisor.

"New Advisor Program Is A Mess"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly People and learn basic insurance/investment knowledge

Cons

Hidden fees and expenses, never had a real mentor, minimal teaching on how to work with clients

Advice to Management

I had no problem working 60-70 hours a week but I felt like my time was being wasted. If I were partnered with an actually advisor (1 on 1) I would have been willing to do everything and anything for them in order to shadow and learn from them.

10. "Awesome Company!"

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

I've never been happier at a company! This organization communicates effectively its goals for the future and how each team member plays a role in achieving said goal.

I also like that North Star promotes from with in whenever possible. I have the opportunity to work in many different roles in my time with North Star.

As I Iook back to the interviewing process, it was a great experience. I had a good understanding of the process and what we were trying to accomplish with each interview. The process was long at times, but completely worth it in the end.

I would recommend this company to all mt friends and family!

Cons

Very high expectations. This isn't so much of a "con" as it is reality. North Star expects you bring your A game to the table every day. It is definitely a high performance no excuse kind of culture.