North Star Resource Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 7, 2018

1.0
Edward G. Deutschlander

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to work, with wonderfully caring & helpful people, located in a beautiful glass office overlooking the green belt (in 6 reviews)

• Supportive company culture, caring and fun co workers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • If you really wan't to be considered for a full time job, you must put in some pretty long hours (in 7 reviews)

• Takes a lot of hard work and long hours to build successful practice (in 6 reviews)

1. "Terrible"

Former Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at North Star Resource Group as an intern

Pros

Paid internship with a nice office. Get comfortable talking on the phone.

Cons

A little too comfortable talking on the phone considering that's the only thing you do as an intern. The main advisor that me and the other interns worked for essentially let us go mid summer. He said we did not schedule enough client meetings and paying us was no longer worth it. Can't even put this experience on my resume because all I did was cold call, and I did not go to college to be a telemarketer.

Advice to Management

Look into other companies' internship programs and duplicate it. This experience was pointless except for making a little money over the summer.

2. "You Don't Want to Work Here"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A majority of the other advisors are kind and helpful. The marketing department made things much easier for me.

Cons

You are told you will receive a $1,500 a month stipend with additional bonuses but after all the fees, charges, and other things North Star charges you it is more like $500. You are promised a 1 on 1 relationship with a senior advisor but in reality it will be you and 9 other new advisors paired up with 1 advisor who has only been in the industry for a few years. You are made promises after promises but you are set up to fail because they have an inconsistent, unproven onboarding system.

Advice to Management

Figure out a consistent way to actually keep people at North Star.

"Better jobs/internships out there"

Current Employee - Current Employee
    Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good experience cold-calling, that's about it.

Cons

Very disorganized company. Liked to play favorites, and the training program was subpar at best. You are on your own, with no one to really ask questions to. Unfriendly environment.

Advice to Management

Get a better training program, as well as HR team. The company as a whole is extremely unorganized. Take a look at your employees for who they really are, stop playing favorites. The culture is a mess.

4. "Intern"

Pros

No. None come to mind.

Cons

Poor Pay. "Marketing Intern" is actually cold calling. All day, every day.

Advice to Management

Create real, diverse internship experiences, not only client acquisition.

"Look Elsewhere"

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As administrative staff we were offered 5 half summer hour Fridays. We also enjoyed meager bonuses when the company did well every year around Christmas which ended up being about an extra paycheck. The biggest pro was learning that I never want to work in the financial industry ever again.

Cons

The branches were very separate which led to a lot of cliques. The office I worked in was very small and the advisor's teams were often at odds with each other. The benefits and health insurance were poor. There was so much stress put on team members to sell clients on products the advisor had recommended but not thoroughly explained. Advisors were not in the branch normal business hours as they were often on the road being pushed to sell sell sell. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Value your team members and treat them like they are important. Advisors cannot succeed without a good staff. For team members who have been there 10 plus years please please please review their work and relationships with other staff members as there is a lot of "bullying"

"if you're looking to get into the industry, look elsewhere"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Charismatic people dupe you into thinking you're making a difference.

Cons

You'll be doing everyone else's work, and they will get paid, but you likely won't. Also, since they sic you on your friends and family, prepare to lose a lot of social contacts. The better advisors to learn from often don't want or have time for new advisors, so you get the bottom of the barrel. If you want to be set up to fail, this is your place. If you do work there, expect to be undercompensated. I just got a check for a small sum of money 5 years after I left.

Advice to Management

Quit letting RVPs compete against each other. The one-upmanship forces new advisors to be partnered with senior advisors that are poor fits, just to stroke some guy's ego.

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

Pros

-Free coffee
    -Free Tea
    -You might get a good mentor

Cons

Pay is absurd, if you truly want to attract top talent-pay for it.

Advice to Management

Financial advising is centralized on the foundation of fostering relationships with your clients. Do not forget about keeping your employees happy.

8. "Intern"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

I worked at North Star Resource Group (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of independence. You have the ability to work alone and not be bothered (much). This can be a positive for some. Also. family like atmosphere.

Cons

Extremely old mentality. No brand name. You will literally just be cold calling all day and nothing else. You won't learn anything.

Advice to Management

Evolve

"Negative experience as an intern"

Former Intern - Client Relations Coordinator
    Former Intern - Client Relations Coordinator

I worked at North Star Resource Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-tons of freedom
    -fun company wide event
    -other interns were fun people
    -managers are good people

Cons

-I left mid-summer because of a difference in opinion with a manager, we'll just leave it at that
    -started with a pool of around 30 interns, I was told by another intern that it ended with around 8
    -not much training
    -completely sold a bill of goods

The job required calling doctors around the city you are assigned and getting them to go to dinners. We were told the doctors wouldn't answer and our job was basically to get to the doctor through secretaries/nurses. Ya, good luck. The inference was that this job was going to be tough but highly lucrative. I put forth a high effort but there was very little reward, certainly not enough to want to do this as a career

North Star Resource Group Response

Mar 5, 2015 – Talent Aquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of North Star. This career is indeed an extremely difficult one and it is unfortunate that it was not a great experience for you. We are very open and... More

"No Structure, No Support, No Success"

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

Managers are never present and you're able to make your own schedule. It's a great environment and culture but only for a select group of people.

Cons

Complete disorganization throughout the entire company, which causes employees at all levels to experience frustration and failures in some areas. Upper management is focused on bringing in only a certain type of candidate and diversity is non-existent. Flagrant disrespect for women in private offices where HR representation is void.

Advice to Management

When failures occur within the company, take responsibility instead of passing the buck to those below you. Leadership, respect and success start at the top and trickle down.