North Star Resource Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Edward G. Deutschlander

Pros
  • 1/3 of the Financial Advisors are fun, and bonus their support staff since the company decided to stop giving raises 5 years ago (in 5 reviews)

• Jacobs Financial is great place to work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • If you really wan't to be considered for a full time job, you must put in some pretty long hours (in 7 reviews)

• Takes a lot of hard work and long hours to build successful practice (in 6 reviews)

"A Fun Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement and a lot of recognition. Good balance between working hard and playing hard. Very competent leadership and a fun culture. Great opportunity to learn and work the same time.

Cons

A lot of hard work. If you are not comfortable with sales then you will be way out of your comfort zone. Ask a lot of questions before you start in this career or you could be disappointed.

2. "A very rewarding career after a lot of hard work"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have the opportunity to run your own business and have true job security
    Flexible work environment and schedule
    Incredible upside income potential which is limited only by your own motiviation
    Great culture and very supportive management

Cons

It's very difficult to get started and it can take years to build a successful practice.
    Very long hours and low pay during the first few years (up to 3 years)
    You constantly face rejection and skepticism as not everyone appreciates the work that you do.
    You can't just try this career on for size. It's just too tough and you will fail. It requires a great deal of persistence and vision to succeed in this business.

3. "Great job with great people"

Pros

Great place to work, learn, and lay down the foundation for a successful and rewarding career path! Wonderful and helpful people that truly want to help you succeed in all that you do and want you to accomplish all of your goals.

Cons

It is crucial that you are always working hard. A lot is expected out of you and you will work hard to get where you want to be.

5. "A Company dedicated to building a strong culture and providing exceptional client service."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quality work &commitment do not go unnoticed. As with any career, you should be required to demonstrate your value &North Star recognizes that.

Cons

We're in a client-centered business, which has both challenges & rewards.

Advice to Management

Keep setting a great example and high standards for your team members to help them realize their full potential.

Nov 21, 2014 – Talent Aquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking time to write a review from a seasoned perspective. Your example is appreciated. Keep up the good work!

6. "I dont understand the negative reviews"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

North Star is one of the best financial planning firms in the country, hands down. I'm assuming the negative reviews above were put there by people who have no clue what it actually means to be an advisor. We have a high performance, no excuse culture. if you want to be an advisor, you have to be willing to take risk, work hard and stick through the tough times early on. The upper management is a star studded list of industry icons with the highest ethical standards you could imagine. Culture will vary somewhat between offices - I personally work in a small, high performing & highly positive office environment where everyone is respected and thanked for what they do every single day to better the lives of our clients.

Cons

For the wrong person, this career is the worst career you could imagine. You must take on personal financial risk, income instability, rejection and long hours to have a shot at becoming successful. If you don't have an entrpreneurial mindset, hard work ethic or generally positive and optimistic attitude, turn around and leave the industry before its too late!!!

This all said, for the right person, this is a dream career.

Advice to Management

Better CRM software and technology access would be appreciated.

"North Star has a great culture of success and support"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, flexible schedule, upward mobility/income potential

Cons

difficult to start your practice from nothing, compensation schedule is very confusing

Advice to Management

increase the stipend for new advisors and give slightly better benefits, change the compensation method to make it easier to see how you are getting paid and from where

Nov 21, 2014 – Talent Aquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience so far at North Star. You are not alone in your confusion of understanding the compensation program. We as a leadership team have heard you and ... More

8. "A challenging and very rewarding work environment"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work for myself, my extra efforts directly impact my career, I am only limited by myself

Cons

Under payed and overworked at the beginning of the career

Advice to Management

Better marketing tools, better technology for client tracking

Nov 21, 2014 – Talent Aquisition Specialist

Great feedback. Hopefully, since you have written this you have already seen an improvement in our marketing materials. We have hired 3 new marketing specialists in the last year and they want to get ... More

"North Star invests in the people that work there"

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about North Star is that there is a huge amount of opportunity for growth. They like to say that they recycle people. There are many people that work there that have started out in one role and moved to a different role because they found out it suited them better. The people and the culture are great and everyone has a lot of fun together.

Cons

It is a lot of hard work. People come into this career and don't realize how hard it is and they get frustrated. You have to be willing to talk to anyone without worrying about rejection.

Advice to Management

Have more team building scavenger hunts, so much fun!!

Nov 21, 2014 – Talent Aquisition Specialist

Thank you for the encouraging words! You are right, we love to help people do what they love. We are working on the scavenger hunts, thank for the input!

"Independence for advisors"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlike large corporate firms, North Star is really great about giving independence to their advisors. As an independent contractor, you can structure your practice however you like and aren't forced into a "one-size-fits-all" mold. They also have a great open-door culture so you can talk with any advisor about their insights, practice management tools, etc. There is a lot of hands on training for new advisors and they strongly encourage joint work with more senior advisors so you're not left to fend for yourself. Through their affiliation with Securian, they are also able to offer additional education courses and conferences to help you succeed and grow your business.

Cons

As a brand new advisor you have to do a lot of cold marketing for events and the income is pretty unstable for the first year or two.

"Work-Life Balance Motivates for Personal Growth and Development"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities from a career changer's perspective. I left my last career of many years because it did not have a promising career growth for me. At North Star I have been recognized for who I am as an individual and what I have accomplished thus far. Lastly, I have a wonderful manager that supports everyone's talent and is a great mentor in helping us grow as individuals. With the work-life balance at North Star, I am able to enjoy more time with my young child and to participate in school/sport activities.

Cons

Incorporating automated processes would be wonderful, and would help with efficiency in my department. Otherwise, I have enjoyed my experience thus far.

Advice to Management

I am thankful for the flexibility and the opportunities North Star Has to offer. I also feel fortunate that I can just talk to any of the management team at any given time, which was non existing with prior jobs.