North Star Resource Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Edward G. Deutschlander

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 1/3 of the Financial Advisors are fun, and bonus their support staff since the company decided to stop giving raises 5 years ago (in 5 reviews)

• Supportive company culture, caring and fun co workers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • If you really wan't to be considered for a full time job, you must put in some pretty long hours (in 7 reviews)

• Takes a lot of hard work and long hours to build successful practice (in 6 reviews)

"Lack of Leadership"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Portland, OR

Pros

Ability to study for Series 7&66 and Life and Health

Cons

Office dynamics made it a unberable place to work.

Advice to Management

Create a training program designed for newly grads and do not tell individuals to take out a personal loan of 50k to stay in this career.

"Be prepared to pay to work!"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Unlimited salary, Flexible schedule, Good coworkers

Cons

The recruiters make it sound like unlimited salary is in your near future but you will absolutely not get paid more than $400-$500 for about six months. You are required to purchase your own training tools for $600 a pop and if you aren't making any commissions, they require you to pay that when you leave! Seriously- no salary, no benefits, no leadership. And when you do sell products or make commissions, they absolutely require you to cut in your "mentor" even though they do nothing. Their "mentors" are only still producing there because they take 50% of commissions from their new employees and can "mentor" up to 15 people at a time!

Advice to Management

If you want to continue to survive as an organization, you need to find some way to allow your people to make some kind of money! It was hard to sell life insurance to someone when I couldn't even afford to buy produce at the grocery store that week!

"Awful place to work"

Former Employee - Advisor
    Former Employee - Advisor

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

The day I left that place.

Cons

Ponzi scheme structure. You bring two friends in, they each bring in two friends, etc. I feel horrible for their clients. Always getting slammed into highly commissionable life insurance products that don't make sense for their situation.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror and slap yourself.

"No Structure, No Support, No Success"

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

Managers are never present and you're able to make your own schedule. It's a great environment and culture but only for a select group of people.

Cons

Complete disorganization throughout the entire company, which causes employees at all levels to experience frustration and failures in some areas. Upper management is focused on bringing in only a certain type of candidate and diversity is non-existent. Flagrant disrespect for women in private offices where HR representation is void.

Advice to Management

When failures occur within the company, take responsibility instead of passing the buck to those below you. Leadership, respect and success start at the top and trickle down.

5. "Intern"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

I worked at North Star Resource Group (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of independence. You have the ability to work alone and not be bothered (much). This can be a positive for some. Also. family like atmosphere.

Cons

Extremely old mentality. No brand name. You will literally just be cold calling all day and nothing else. You won't learn anything.

Advice to Management

Evolve

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

Pros

-Free coffee
    -Free Tea
    -You might get a good mentor

Cons

Pay is absurd, if you truly want to attract top talent-pay for it.

Advice to Management

Financial advising is centralized on the foundation of fostering relationships with your clients. Do not forget about keeping your employees happy.

"if you're looking to get into the industry, look elsewhere"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Charismatic people dupe you into thinking you're making a difference.

Cons

You'll be doing everyone else's work, and they will get paid, but you likely won't. Also, since they sic you on your friends and family, prepare to lose a lot of social contacts. The better advisors to learn from often don't want or have time for new advisors, so you get the bottom of the barrel. If you want to be set up to fail, this is your place. If you do work there, expect to be undercompensated. I just got a check for a small sum of money 5 years after I left.

Advice to Management

Quit letting RVPs compete against each other. The one-upmanship forces new advisors to be partnered with senior advisors that are poor fits, just to stroke some guy's ego.

8. "Look Elsewhere"

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As administrative staff we were offered 5 half summer hour Fridays. We also enjoyed meager bonuses when the company did well every year around Christmas which ended up being about an extra paycheck. The biggest pro was learning that I never want to work in the financial industry ever again.

Cons

The branches were very separate which led to a lot of cliques. The office I worked in was very small and the advisor's teams were often at odds with each other. The benefits and health insurance were poor. There was so much stress put on team members to sell clients on products the advisor had recommended but not thoroughly explained. Advisors were not in the branch normal business hours as they were often on the road being pushed to sell sell sell. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Value your team members and treat them like they are important. Advisors cannot succeed without a good staff. For team members who have been there 10 plus years please please please review their work and relationships with other staff members as there is a lot of "bullying"

9. "Intern"

Pros

No. None come to mind.

Cons

Poor Pay. "Marketing Intern" is actually cold calling. All day, every day.

Advice to Management

Create real, diverse internship experiences, not only client acquisition.

"Mislead during interviews. Don't expect to make a penny at the job for at least the first month."

Pros

Young office with opportunity to move up if you have a lot of local contacts that want to buy life insurance policies.

Cons

Sent me a bill for business cards and long distance charges for a total of approximately $13 after I quit. Worked here for 3 weeks before I figured out my first paycheck wasn't in the near future. Was repeatedly told to find my own contacts and if I couldn't find any of my own to just cold call the white pages. Awful experience... The job ended up costing me money.

Advice to Management

Give better descriptions of what the work will entail before your new employees decide to make the decision to devote the next couple of years of their life to something that they may not make any money at