North Star Resource Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Edward G. Deutschlander

Pros
  • 1/3 of the Financial Advisors are fun, and bonus their support staff since the company decided to stop giving raises 5 years ago (in 5 reviews)

• Jacobs Financial is great place to work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • If you really wan't to be considered for a full time job, you must put in some pretty long hours (in 7 reviews)

• Takes a lot of hard work and long hours to build successful practice (in 6 reviews)

1. "Intern"

Pros

No. None come to mind.

Cons

Poor Pay. "Marketing Intern" is actually cold calling. All day, every day.

Advice to Management

Create real, diverse internship experiences, not only client acquisition.

2. "Okay Internship"

I worked at North Star Resource Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly office environment. Little to no micromanagement. Met CEO the first day.

Cons

Low pay compared to other internships.

Advice to Management

Maybe hire fewer interns and pay them more.

3. "It all depends on who you work for"

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

The people (especially the support staff) are wonderful. There really is a decent open door policy among assistants, and many advisors take part in this too. At the monthly team meetings team members are recognized and rewarded for going above and beyond, which is cheesy but nice. Treats on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays is a nice perk. From my experience, no one really cared too much about overtime pay, so you could stretch out your days to make more money if you want to. Don't know if that's changed. CEO is a decent guy. You can change jobs/advisors within the company, but it can be very difficult.

Cons

Unfortunately I could only give my review 2 stars because I have more cons to list than pros (but the pros do carry a lot of weight). Whether or not you have a good experience depends on the advisor you work for. My advisor was awesome. Fun, supportive, available for questions, all that good stuff. Advisors can range from spectacular to downright horrid. There are two advisors in a partnership who can't keep assistants because they are so unpleasant to work for. Unsupportive, mean, self-important, and everyone knows it. Which brings me to my next point, upper management. They know these two individuals can scarcely keep assistants for more than a year, but they don't do anything about it. They only care about making money for the company, which these advisors somehow manage to do. If you go to any management person (HR is nearly non-existent) with a problem related to an advisor, all they're gonna do is defend the advisor. No help for you. No help for you in the way of training either. You've somehow got to carve out time to watch the webinars online, which is impossible if you're up to your eyeballs in paperwork. If you go for a license, you'll be doing a lot of self-study at home, and you won't be paid for your time. Lastly, the pay for support staff is FAR LESS than the national average. It's downright unfair and can be difficult to get by on such a meager amount of money. Raises come once per year after an annual review. The good advisors give sizable holiday bonuses (from their own pockets, not the company), which can help. But be ready to be up sh*t creek without a paddle, as there's not really any opportunities for promotion for support staff.

Advice to Management

Have a higher base pay for support staff. Bite the bullet and hire someone who's sole responsibility is training new people. The turnover is high enough that this would be worth it and that person would have plenty of work to do. If you know advisors treat their staff like crap, fire those advisors! Make room for talented people who are also kind. The company won't suffer from this. In fact, it might even be a beneficial move to make!

5. "an okay place to work"

I worked at North Star Resource Group (Less than a year)

Pros

- people are nice to work with
    - when you get to work on client cases, it can be very educational

Cons

- management doesn't try to teach you things they just want you to do the job

6. "Financial Advisor at North Star"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture and the people. North Star focuses on establishing young professionals whom have a drive to help others and succeed in their personal and business lives. As a Financial Advisor, you must be willing to accept responsibility for your own actions and hold yourself accountable, even when no one is watching. North Star allows for the autonomy of the individual advisor and their practice, but provides the structure, mentor ship, and resources required to establish a sustainable, and attractive, financial advising practice.

Cons

Having the internal drive to succeed is a mandatory requirement to the firm, along with holding yourself accountable when others are not there. Being a Financial Advisor is a challenging career, and you will need (not required) to work long hours, often after everyone else has left the office, without the 'overtime' or gold sticker.

Advice to Management

Keep on the same direction, Ed Deutschlander is moving in the right direction!

7. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

For those who are passionate about becoming a Financial Advisor, North Star Resource Group is a great place to begin, grow, and establish your practice. Here at North Star Resource Group they give you the tools and guidance to be successful. The management here is supportive and fully invested in your success as a Financial Advisor.

Cons

You have to be willing to put in the long hours and hard work.

8. "Great culture, great people, independent product offerings"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked here over 8 years and my experience has been nothing but positive. Even when I struggled in one position, they helped me find a path that would allow me to succeed in another. They care about their people but only if you care enough back to be the best version of yourself. Great flexibility, great career potential, fair compensation. As an expert in my field, I like that I have the choice of products that I can propose without having bias towards one company.

Cons

Like any career worthwhile, you get out of it what you put in. It can be very difficult to be a new advisor and if you don't have the work ethic or the mental fortitude to hear someone say No, then this isn't a great career path. But if you can't make it here you won't make it anywhere else in this field.

Advice to Management

Be more open to technology advancements (understanding that compliance is a major part of the decision). Working with millennials requires better technology and we can't be slow to change and adapt.

9. "A new Financial Service Firm"

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

Since 1908 and reinventing itself every year. Innovative, develops inexperienced people to become excellent Financial Advisors. Comprehensive platform of training, product specialists, marketing and Financial Advice platform. National coverage and based in Minneapolis.

Cons

Must be self driven, persevering, have a strong faith in yourself. If you do what few others can do for five years you will be able to do what few others can do for the next 35 years. Not for faint of heart.

Advice to Management

New CEO Ed Deutschlander is making things happen. Keep it up.

10. "Financial Advisor"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at North Star Resource Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive company culture, caring and fun co workers. You will be given every opportunity to succeed.

Cons

Must be a self disciplined self starter, you are responsible for your own success. This makes the success rate low for those requiring great direction.

11. "Look Elsewhere"

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As administrative staff we were offered 5 half summer hour Fridays. We also enjoyed meager bonuses when the company did well every year around Christmas which ended up being about an extra paycheck. The biggest pro was learning that I never want to work in the financial industry ever again.

Cons

The branches were very separate which led to a lot of cliques. The office I worked in was very small and the advisor's teams were often at odds with each other. The benefits and health insurance were poor. There was so much stress put on team members to sell clients on products the advisor had recommended but not thoroughly explained. Advisors were not in the branch normal business hours as they were often on the road being pushed to sell sell sell. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Value your team members and treat them like they are important. Advisors cannot succeed without a good staff. For team members who have been there 10 plus years please please please review their work and relationships with other staff members as there is a lot of "bullying"