North Star Resource Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Edward G. Deutschlander

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to work, with wonderfully caring & helpful people, located in a beautiful glass office overlooking the green belt (in 6 reviews)

• Supportive company culture, caring and fun co workers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • If you really wan't to be considered for a full time job, you must put in some pretty long hours (in 7 reviews)

• Takes a lot of hard work and long hours to build successful practice (in 6 reviews)

1. "Better jobs/internships out there"

Current Employee - Current Employee
    Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good experience cold-calling, that's about it.

Cons

Very disorganized company. Liked to play favorites, and the training program was subpar at best. You are on your own, with no one to really ask questions to. Unfriendly environment.

Advice to Management

Get a better training program, as well as HR team. The company as a whole is extremely unorganized. Take a look at your employees for who they really are, stop playing favorites. The culture is a mess.

2. "Austin branch review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, with wonderfully caring & helpful people, located in a beautiful glass office overlooking the green belt. Financial advisers are trustworthy and knowledgeable individuals, with a solid group of coordinators seeing that everything operates as smooth as possible.

Cons

Due to the nature of the business, the work in an administrative capacity can be tedious and extremely detail oreiented. This suited my personality well but saw first hand how other inexperienced individuals quickly left after realizing the massive amount of information to learn regarding insurance, securities, paperwork and regulations.

Advice to Management

Keep reflecting & improving, as any successful place must do!

3. "not a fan"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, nice people, offers benefits, SOME room for growth

Cons

disorganized, low pay, high stress, terrible training regime

Advice to Management

get a proper training regime for your new employees instead of just tossing them into the mix and hoping they will flourish. Get an IT dept who knows what they are doing. Make pay more fair for employees who work hard for bosses who are making 10x their assistants are.

4. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and lots of opportunity for young advisors

Cons

A lot of work on the front end, but comes with the territory. Not really a con but glassdoor made me put something in this space

5. "New Advisor Program Is A Mess"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly People and learn basic insurance/investment knowledge

Cons

Hidden fees and expenses, never had a real mentor, minimal teaching on how to work with clients

Advice to Management

I had no problem working 60-70 hours a week but I felt like my time was being wasted. If I were partnered with an actually advisor (1 on 1) I would have been willing to do everything and anything for them in order to shadow and learn from them.

6. "Financial Advisor"

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

Management at my specific office was fantastic to work with. Very ethical and fun to be around. They are doing good things.

Cons

You should basically view it as a 90% commission job for a company with bad benefits. I also was uncomfortable portraying myself as an "independent" advisor when clearly we pushed a specific life Insurance company from Minnesota and used a broker owned by the owners of Northstar with much more expensive costs than are necessary.

Advice to Management

You would retain better long term advisors if compensation was at a professional level. It appears that this is set up almost intentionally so that new hires bring contacts to senior advisors instead of actually having the long term interest in mind of advisor.

7. "Awesome Company!"

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

I've never been happier at a company! This organization communicates effectively its goals for the future and how each team member plays a role in achieving said goal.

I also like that North Star promotes from with in whenever possible. I have the opportunity to work in many different roles in my time with North Star.

As I Iook back to the interviewing process, it was a great experience. I had a good understanding of the process and what we were trying to accomplish with each interview. The process was long at times, but completely worth it in the end.

I would recommend this company to all mt friends and family!

Cons

Very high expectations. This isn't so much of a "con" as it is reality. North Star expects you bring your A game to the table every day. It is definitely a high performance no excuse kind of culture.

8. "Financial Advisor"

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

Growth for new advisors, excellent people, ability to serve client on multiple fronts from risk management to investments, always feel like you are working for client and can shop whatever markets to get the best result, not tied to one company for investments or insurance, truly feel good of working with clients, specializing helps and expertise breeds competence and provides a lane to offer rock solid planning for clients, nicest and most friendly people by far (always a Thank You! or Awesome! or something along those lines for internal emails, nice touch on the strength of culture and the company is a team, people love being at North Star)

Cons

Must be very responsible to do well so this is more up to the person, must be willing to embrace idea of running a practice which makes some people excited and others, not so much

Advice to Management

Continue to make integrity, values, and people the center of the business, rarity in today's world but the clients benefit tremendously

9. "hey"

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

really good people and fun atmosphere

Cons

can't think of anything to be honest

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing

10. "Advisor"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The flexibility of the job is definitely a plus. Once you gain momentum in the career it is very rewarding not only personally and financially, but you really start seeing the impact you make on people's lives. This was something I completely overlooked about this career, but it has made it the most rewarding part and having a firm that allows you to make an impact so early is great.

Cons

It takes time and effort to be successful. It's not your 9-5 job. You have to be committed and sometimes it is difficult to keep motivated.

Advice to Management

Keep putting people first!