North Star Resource Group Reviews | Glassdoor

North Star Resource Group Reviews

Updated July 28, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Supportive company culture, caring and fun co workers (in 5 reviews)

• Jacobs Financial is great place to work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • If you really wan't to be considered for a full time job, you must put in some pretty long hours (in 7 reviews)

• Takes a lot of hard work and long hours to build successful practice (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great culture, great people, independent product offerings"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked here over 8 years and my experience has been nothing but positive. Even when I struggled in one position, they helped me find a path that would allow me to succeed in another. They care about their people but only if you care enough back to be the best version of yourself. Great flexibility, great career potential, fair compensation. As an expert in my field, I like that I have the choice of products that I can propose without having bias towards one company.

Cons

Like any career worthwhile, you get out of it what you put in. It can be very difficult to be a new advisor and if you don't have the work ethic or the mental fortitude to hear someone say No, then this isn't a great career path. But if you can't make it here you won't make it anywhere else in this field.

Advice to Management

Be more open to technology advancements (understanding that compliance is a major part of the decision). Working with millennials requires better technology and we can't be slow to change and adapt.

2. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

For those who are passionate about becoming a Financial Advisor, North Star Resource Group is a great place to begin, grow, and establish your practice. Here at North Star Resource Group they give you the tools and guidance to be successful. The management here is supportive and fully invested in your success as a Financial Advisor.

Cons

You have to be willing to put in the long hours and hard work.

3. "Financial Advisor"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at North Star Resource Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive company culture, caring and fun co workers. You will be given every opportunity to succeed.

Cons

Must be a self disciplined self starter, you are responsible for your own success. This makes the success rate low for those requiring great direction.

4. "Intern"

Pros

Easy going, advisors are helpful with needs.

Cons

Lack of direction and expectations.

Advice to Management

Provide interns with more direction and expectations.

5. "Internship"

Pros

People, skill building, culture

Cons

Some communication issues between departments

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

6. "Look Elsewhere"

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As administrative staff we were offered 5 half summer hour Fridays. We also enjoyed meager bonuses when the company did well every year around Christmas which ended up being about an extra paycheck. The biggest pro was learning that I never want to work in the financial industry ever again.

Cons

The branches were very separate which led to a lot of cliques. The office I worked in was very small and the advisor's teams were often at odds with each other. The benefits and health insurance were poor. There was so much stress put on team members to sell clients on products the advisor had recommended but not thoroughly explained. Advisors were not in the branch normal business hours as they were often on the road being pushed to sell sell sell. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Value your team members and treat them like they are important. Advisors cannot succeed without a good staff. For team members who have been there 10 plus years please please please review their work and relationships with other staff members as there is a lot of "bullying"

7. "Whole life insurance will be your main financial product."

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a good place to work if you would like to be a whole life insurance sales person.

Cons

Management describes your job as a financial advisor. Truth is, they want you to sell whole life insurance. Many times I told them I wasn't comfortable promoting whole life insurance as my main product. It was obvious management was not happy with this. Very frustrating place for me to work. If you go into the job knowing you are a whole life insurance sales person, you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

Be up front with people when they first start. It is true, we are licensed to sell many financial products, although I think I'd be a lot less frustrated with the job if I knew at the beginning that my main Goto financial tool was going to be whole life insurance.

"Financial Advisor"

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

Great Training, Flexible work Hours

Cons

Unsettling Sales Practices (use b/d owned by Minnesota Life)... In other words, you become an Minnesota Life agent and biased. Company promotes itself as independent, which is misleading to clients.

9. "Overall good, but but they have thier flaws."

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If things are going good, they are good. Unlimited growth potential.

Cons

However if things are going bad, they don't help you get back on track. Instead they take stuff like your stipend to make it even harder. Don't necessarily care about you they care about what you can do for the company.

Advice to Management

Don't take away peoples stipends, they need that to live. If you want to stop the high turn over in the financial services industry, don't make it harder. Make it easier.

"if you're looking to get into the industry, look elsewhere"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Charismatic people dupe you into thinking you're making a difference.

Cons

You'll be doing everyone else's work, and they will get paid, but you likely won't. Also, since they sic you on your friends and family, prepare to lose a lot of social contacts. The better advisors to learn from often don't want or have time for new advisors, so you get the bottom of the barrel. If you want to be set up to fail, this is your place. If you do work there, expect to be undercompensated. I just got a check for a small sum of money 5 years after I left.

Advice to Management

Quit letting RVPs compete against each other. The one-upmanship forces new advisors to be partnered with senior advisors that are poor fits, just to stroke some guy's ego.