North Suffolk Mental Health Association Reviews | Glassdoor

North Suffolk Mental Health Association Reviews

Updated Aug 23, 2019

Found 54 reviews

2.6
North Suffolk Mental Health Association CEO Deborah Wayne, O.D (no image)
Deborah Wayne, O.D
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay, but relevant experince(in 6 reviews)

• "Some of the problems are part of working in nonprofit behavioral health, but it seems like things have been getting worse at NSMHA(in 3 reviews)

"Program Manager"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Malden, MA

I worked at North Suffolk Mental Health Association full-time for more than a year

Pros

Positively maintaining individuals lives and medical decisions that best suit their mental capabilities and daily activities.

Cons

Unable to maintain an adequate staffing ratio for the safety of my clients daily living arrangement.

Advice to Management

I love working with others and making a difference in people's lives whether I am working in an office setting or providing living arrangements for people living in group homes.

North Suffolk Mental Health Association2016-03-04
  2. "Overall an okay company to work at"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelsea, MA

Pros

Good staff to work with

Cons

Low pay; Company sticks to old systems

North Suffolk Mental Health Association2019-08-23
  3. "toxic work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at North Suffolk Mental Health Association full-time

Pros

some great, caring coworkers, room for creativity

Cons

toxic as in mice, mold as well as lack of leadership skills, screaming managers no follow through on promises, looking the other way at illegal activities etc. etc.

North Suffolk Mental Health Association2019-08-13
  4. "North Suffolk Mental health association"

I have been working at North Suffolk Mental Health Association full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours Independent scheduling with clients

Cons

No annual raises Lots of turnovers

North Suffolk Mental Health Association2019-06-17
  5. "Cool"

Current Employee - Intern in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at North Suffolk Mental Health Association full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good flexibility and supervision overall.

Cons

Fast paced sometimes too much so

Advice to Management

Better training

North Suffolk Mental Health Association2019-04-12
  6. "Resume builder"

Former Employee - Mental Health Clinician @Freedom Trail Clinic in Boston, MA

I worked at North Suffolk Mental Health Association full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work with a diverse clientele in a multi-disciplinary setting.

Cons

Low pay. Long hours—impossible to complete necessary paperwork and meet expected productivity requirement. Focus is on numbers rather than client care with an underserved and marginalized population.

Advice to Management

Focus on the level of client care, NSMNA is a community mental health provider, rather than productivity and number of billable hours. Clients are people in need rather than a vehicle to bill hours. Provide necessary tools; working fax machine, functioning printer and copier, consistent internet to access patient records.

North Suffolk Mental Health Association2019-01-25
  7. "Residential Counselor"

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Chelsea, MA

I have been working at North Suffolk Mental Health Association full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can pick up shifts anytime of day if relief.

Cons

Pay is still low compared to other companies.

Advice to Management

Treat your relief better so they want to pick up shifts.

North Suffolk Mental Health Association2018-11-16

"Awful Management!"

Former Employee - CSA Clinician in Revere, MA

I worked at North Suffolk Mental Health Association full-time

Pros

The families I worked with were great...however, supervision and training was awful! Once they find out you have an allergy or need an accommodation...expect to be treated like you aren’t of any value!

Cons

The supervision is awful! You are expected to know things without proper training! They don’t value knowledge and if you show you are knowledgeable...they will feel threatened and fire you! If you go above your supervisor for assistance then you can just say goodbye to your job! They also do not comply with Mass Health CBHI regulations!

Advice to Management

You need to train your management better.

North Suffolk Mental Health Association2018-09-17

"Maybe it used to be better"

Pros

The pay might be poor, but the benefits are actually pretty good. 10 holidays a year is good for an agency like like, plus you accrue 12 sick days per year that carry over if you don't use them all up. You start with two weeks of vacation time, but by the start of your fourth year (meaning 3 full years working at the agency) you are accrue 4 weeks per year. They provide some education reimbursement (although not as... much as others), give you a bit of paid time off for education - great for those of us who need CEUs - and the job I have gives you some flexibility in your hours. The new training system has more relevant training than most of the agency ones are for me and you can get CEUs with those, too. They offer some exercise classes that people whose jobs end by 5 can do. (In my program, we are rarely done at 5.) My particular program has a lot of great people who have made the job easier. Having a good relationship with the supervisory staff can help you get a little more understanding and flexibility when you're having a rough time. They also provide good opportunities for further training. I personally like working with under-served communities and you definitely do that here.

Cons

The pay isn't great - I know that I can get paid more in similar positions in other agencies. The staff meetings/group supervisions have become directionless and don't add much. The supervisory staff/admins don't make people excited about the work the way that past ones did. Our program has been shrinking dramatically since I started. The turnover was always high, but they struggle to hire people and the smaller we... get the worse morale gets. Attempts to improve morale focus on what staff can do to improve our own morale instead of how the agency can better support us. It seems like burnout is blamed on each person not doing enough self-care, but if most people are miserable than maybe it isn't an individual issue. Some of the problems are part of working in nonprofit behavioral health, but it seems like things have been getting worse at NSMHA. If we keep losing staff at this rate There isn't a lot of room for promotion in my program right now. On the flipside, past emphasis on promoting from within led to people ending up in management positions before they were ready for it. Also there is definitely a bit of favoritism that happens.

Advice to Management

Figure out the recruitment problems. Do more than lipservice and once a year holiday party to show appreciation for those of us in direct care positions. Actually listen to what we have to say and don't make empty promises. Don't blame the union for the problems and don't blame staff for being unhappy.

North Suffolk Mental Health Association2018-08-09

"Program Coordinator"

I have been working at North Suffolk Mental Health Association full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Despite many complaints about no potential for growth, I’ve had 5 promotions in 6 years. Colleagues are generally great and very supportive. Training opportunities are fair- paid for your time and trainings are paid for. Hours can be flexible depending on how efficient you are. There are opportunities to make your time more light-hearted by planning events with clients during working hours. If you genuinely like... working with people, this is a great job.

Cons

It’s great that clients’ rights are paramount, but this can and has created a lot of safety concerns for employees. It can feel like finding trumps employee welfare. Many direct care staff are not qualified and have no desire to learn or grow. No merit-based raises or bonuses, which keeps morale low among direct care staff and decreases productivity. Too many people have been grandfathered into management positions... without having basic computer skills and no higher/relevant education but have higher tenure and TECHNICALLY experience. Few residential managers have formal management training, which can lead to unprofessional and insensitive messages from your supervisor. The majority of senior management are extremely under qualified and out of touch, especially in residential. They don’t keep up to date with changes in mental healthcare and focus on administrative tasks and appearances over actual care. Have had my superiors in trainings with me who don’t understand how to do day to day tasks, tasks they ask of us, or how much has changed over the past 10 years. Few are supportive or know how to answer your questions and give a different answer every time they are asked the same question. Managers aren’t adequately compensated for taking on a lifestyle- this isn’t just a “job”.

Advice to Management

Increase pay to direct care staff to attract better qualified employees who have potential to grow. Have upper management come to programs regularly to see how much they as of their staff. Offer more basic training (e.g. computer skills, more in depth clinical training than “if you see this, tell your supervisor”, professionalism, general medical/clinical terminology, etc.). Offer weekend differentials or tiered pay... scales to encourage people to pick up shifts that aren’t Monday-Friday.

North Suffolk Mental Health Association2018-04-21