NorthPointe Resources Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 23, 2017

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Karl Kopp

1. "Great Stress Free Place To Work"

Former Employee - DT Instructor in Zion, IL
    Former Employee - DT Instructor in Zion, IL

I worked at NorthPointe Resources full-time (More than a year)

Pros

interacting with people that need help. All managers and bosses are very nice and understanding

Cons

there are no cons at this job

Advice to Management

stay the way you are

2. "ilc"

Current Employee - ILC in Zion, IL
    Current Employee - ILC in Zion, IL

I have been working at NorthPointe Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The consumers are the best thing about this place. You will fall in love with them. They become like family.

Cons

unfortunately it is the people in the management postilions. If you have to tell on a person that has been there a long time and they get fired......just hope you never find yourself in that position. It is almost a year later and i am still having retribution. I broke my finger and nothing was ever done about it.They gave me the run around. Very low pay( under $10.00 and never any raises!) especially for all they want you to do...pass meds, keep other consumer from beating up other ones or you. Be outside in the elements strapping wheelchairs down. The ones in charge of the ilc are the worst. Ask them to please not to put you in a certain house because you don't feel well (bronchitis) and not only do they make sure to put you in that one but they leave you there an extra 2 hours later and on a holiday. And you just checked the call around master and they could have sent someone to relieve you. Well Happy Thanksgiving!

Advice to Management

Get new management.

"Great place to start a career"

Current Employee - N/A in Zion, IL
    Current Employee - N/A in Zion, IL

I have been working at NorthPointe Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with the staff and management. Good schedule flexibility/work-life balance. This is a great place to start/advance in a career.

Cons

Low pay and expensive/uninspiring benefits. Recently the organization is trying to turn around their financial situation, time will tell.

"Micromanaging + Complete Lack of Leadership + Lots of Gossip = NorthPointe"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zion, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zion, IL

I worked at NorthPointe Resources full-time

Pros

The consumers (clients) are by far the best part of this job. Of course they present some challenges, but they will make you laugh everyday. In some departments, there is a good work/ life balance and it is pretty easy to work flexible hours or take time off when needed.

Cons

Extremely high insurance costs due to employees excessively using (abusing) insurance programs; costs get passed along to everyone else. Unbelievable micromanaging from most mid level to upper level managers. At times, it feels impossible to do your job, so much so that employees finally get to the point that they don't want to anymore. Pay is deplorable - absolutely no raises, regardless of performance. Employees are very "gossipy" and often create drama - it gets tiring trying to stay out of it. Many employees are miserable and have little drive or passion for anything - makes for a negative, uninspiring place to be everyday. Do yourself a favor - If you are going to spend eight hours of your day somewhere each day, find a workplace that attracts intelligent, thoughtful people. At NorthPointe, the loudest and/ or whiniest people end up making decisions (because supervisors are severely lacking in leadership skills), rather than things being done in an efficient, simplified way. Rather than working together, departments are often working against one another due to poor management that allows employees to create a combative working atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Please learn that the incessant micromanaging drives away intelligent, capable employees. Also, take some initiative to lead your team rather than flip flopping back and forth and allowing immature, incapable employees to create messes. Communicate and work with other departments to make everyone's jobs easier - it should not be a constant fight between departments when everyone should be there to serve the consumers.

6. "Making Things Better fr Staff"

I have been working at NorthPointe Resources full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NorthPointe recently raised the salaries for DSP/ILC staff to be more in line with other organizations. Management showed that they care about these often underappreciated staff members. This move will help slow turnover and make everyone's jobs a lot easier.

In the last two years, NorthPointe's senior leaders have set realistic, attainable goals with managers and staff and they are holding people accountable for their goals. It is refreshing to see the changes and to see that everyone understands the revenue and expense side of the business.

Cons

Management is still working to make NorthPointe an even better place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

7. "Getting better and better"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at NorthPointe Resources (More than 8 years)

Pros

Leadership has come a long way in the last couple of years. They just gave all the DSPs a large raise, and senior management volunteers their time at other places so they can get money here to give us a holiday party and gifts. They are now getting money from grants to paint and fix up the Killian Center and the homes. They now have a great website so we look good on the internet, which will hopefully get more good staff in here. Very flexible with time and wherever possible, they are ok with working at home. They place is getting better and better and I am glad I stuck it out. Hopefully we will all be getting raises soon.

Cons

Located in Illinois. What a horribly mismanaged state. So lowest funding in the USA. And Zion as a Location is difficult. This is a depressed area with few companies that can help us out with donations. CTCA has been a great supporter but they are the only big company around here.

Advice to Management

They are all trying hard. There is an open-door policy so if I have something to say, I can tell my supervisor and they are getting good at responding.

8. "A Rewarding Place to Work For Hardworkers"

I have been working at NorthPointe Resources part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NorthPointe is a Non-Profit so it does come with a little extra work but if you put in hard work it is a great opportunity to build your resume and experience many different opportunities. It's a great place for enthusiastic individuals who are willing to broaden their horizons. Everything you do at NorthPointe is for an amazing cause. Working with consumers is inspiring and drives higher productivity and work quality.

The majority of workers at NorthPointe are highly energetic and enthusiastic. These happen to also be the people who do the best. Working at a non-profit means putting in extra work. There are government limitations on funding and a real serious sense of urgency to be consistent in the quality of services provided in order to stay relevant within the community and more importantly provide for those who need it the most.

There will be days where you have to work extra, but the payoff is helping others while also learning an array of new skills.

There is a constant struggle and push with the state to increase wages for DSPs and help fund programs for people with disabilities. Despite this NorthPointe does pay well, especially for part time positions. I encourage individuals to contact their legislature in order to push for better funding. Better funding = better care.

There are many great new activities as well. Not many places offer paid Tai Chi classes, but NorthPointe does. It's part of a wonderful healthy initiative and I highly suggest anyone who joins the team at NorthPointe also take part in the festivities. PTO is great as well. I had a nice extended Christmas. I'm not complaining. :3

Cons

Being a Non-Profit means having to do more work, but this is only a downside if you let it be one. Every opportunity is a tool and NorthPointe lets you get involved with many activities. Photography, writing, gardening, webdesign, you name it and it's a window of opportunity and NorthPointe.

Advice to Management

Things such as the Tai Chi classes really add incentives for employees. Adding more healthy and fun activities helps team building and is much appreciated by us employees. :)

9. "an overall nice place to be everyday"

Pros

good work life balance, generous PTO, overall friendly atmosphere, lot of opportunities to expand professionally (if you have a degree), ability to serve those in need

Cons

PAY!, could be a cleaner environment, major lack of communication at times, some senior management members are flat out lazy and set a bad precedent, lack of organization, little issues turn into ongoing issues because no one takes charge and takes care of things, lack of implementation

Advice to Management

When issues arise, take care of them and move on - no need to rehash everything over and over again.