KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

NorthStar Memorial Group Reviews

Updated Nov 16, 2021

Found 131 of over 133 reviews

3.4
NorthStar Memorial Group President and Chief Executive Officer Mark Hamilton (no image)
Mark Hamilton
Pros
  • "I am proud to say I work for Northstar Memorial Group(in 9 reviews)

• "NorthStar Memorial Group is a great and growing company to work for(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "My biggest concern working with NorthStar is in relation to finances(in 13 reviews)

• "Upper Management sees sales staff as replicable, no lasting value(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Amazing Company!

Nov 8, 2021 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love working at NorthStar. Great company with the most amazing coworkers. I really can't imagine working anywhere else. I have never worked with so many compassionate and talented people that have become like family to me. Great pay and great benefits, too!

Cons

None at this time. Support from management has always been great. Lots of company-provided training and resources, too.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great Company

Oct 21, 2021 - Customer Service Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Northstar Memorial Group is a wonderful company. They really do care about the families that they serve and are constantly striving to make the experience of having to make final arrangements for a loved, a better one. Excellent customer service is and always has been they're number one priority and the compassion is evident from the Customer Service Specialists who are the first point of contact for families to the Care Team and Funeral Directors, who are consummate professionals, to an after care program to help families deal with the grieving process. No company is perfect but Northstar is dedicated to being better for the communities they serve.

Cons

There should be more opportunity for advancement as a Customer Service Specialist for those who exhibit a passion for what they do and desire to advance in their career.

3. 1.0

Don’t walk, run.

Nov 16, 2021 - Collections Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Hours are ok pay was ok

Cons

Toxic environment, a lot of bullying went on from upper management, exaggerated micromanaging in that department. Wouldn’t recommend to anyone who is looking for a happy work environment. Turn over is high for the last year and a half.

HR Director

We're sorry to hear your experience has not been a positive one. I would appreciate an opportunity to speak with you privately and learn more about your experience and research further. Please contact me, Courtney Murphy at (832) 308-2771. Thank you

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to be challenged, learn, and grow

Aug 16, 2021 - IT Infrastructure Manager in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

family culture, hybrid work, growth and learning opportunities, promotes from within

Cons

micromanagement, understaffed, tactical vs strategic, high stress, lack of prioritization

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company for self-starters with a service mindset

Jul 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

What I like best about working at NorthStar is that the service NorthStar provides to client families really matters and the employees here have a shared sense of purpose. It is a growing company and that provides lots of opportunity to learn new things and grow personally and professionally. Truly great people work here.

Cons

Like most mid-sized companies that are growing, you can sometimes feel spread thin. NSMG is a good fit for solution oriented self-starters who will hold themselves accountable for their own results.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Amazing

Sep 7, 2021 - Commission Specialist in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company is very attentive to the employees and the families that we serve.

Cons

Can’t say there are any.

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Funeral director

Oct 8, 2021 - Funeral Director in Tampa, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Open to new ideas from employees

Cons

Pays lower than competitors’ wages and poor support for operations staff

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A gear foot in the door for those thinking about a career in mortuary care

Apr 16, 2021 - Staff Associate in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

My location's work volume was high enough to require full and part-time associates, which provided a great peak behind the curtains into the funeral business. It was a good exercise in professionalism, people skills, empathy, grace, and organization.

Cons

During my last year, corporate was very firm about maintaining our high volume even though we lacked the staff to provide high quality services at that rate. This created a chaotic work environment that was filled more and more with negativity and a general dread to be there. Communication suffered dramatically during this time and there were certain ethical issues with how the deceased were stored.

HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to be a great place to work and appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. Please know we have heard your suggestions and will continue to look at ways to improve as well as enhance our training. Please also feel free to reach out to me to discuss specifics. Courtney Murphy 832-308-2771

9. 3.0

Have thick Skin

Aug 18, 2021 - Family Service Counselor
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work with great people and get to help grieving families in their time of need. The pay is pretty good as well.

Cons

customer product takes a long time to get delivered and installed. There is a very high turnover rate as well.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great except Corp and who runs it

Jun 19, 2021 - Mortuary Affairs Specialist in Pinellas Park, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Family atmosphere. Great manager Great staff

Cons

The corporation as a whole suckkkssss

3 people found this review helpful

Human Resources Director

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We strive to be a top place to work and appreciate your honest feedback. Please contact me to provide more information so that I can understand and research this further. You can reach me at rubianoc@nsmg.com.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 131 Reviews