Northern Bank and Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
James J Mahn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Northern Bank Invests in People…its Customers AND its Employees"

I have been working at Northern Bank and Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can-Do Attitude, Embrace Change, Leadership Opportunities, Open to Innovation, Entrepreneurial Approach and Spirit and Invests in Professional Development.

Cons

Behind the times in some formalized processes and procedures. This is an area of opportunity for the right person.

Advice to Management

Invest in a formalized project management program.

"Lots to learn in the ever-changing world of banking, without the proper training."

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Northern Bank and Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pizza and Salad Parties last Friday of the month, great co-workers, incentives are a plus. Good work life balance, so close to home. Mobile app is fantastic!

Cons

Some of the other branches are very old and outdated. The procedures/bank as a whole is very conservative with everything. The computer systems that are used could be updated to be more seamless. This bank seems to be behind compared to their competition. There also needs to be a full time trainer/department that can properly train all current and new staff. Procedures differ at each branch where they not followed exactly the same.

Advice to Management

Update procedures so they aren’t so conservative. Create a better environment for the lower level employees where they can come to you if needed. (Not be afraid to say something if something is wrong etc)

Update products we offer (checking, saving etc)

3. "Good working environment."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I worked at Northern Bank and Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and great work environment

Cons

No flexibility in working hours

Advice to Management

Flexible hours

"Worst company I’ve ever worked for."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I worked at Northern Bank and Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was nothing positive about working here, especially in comparison to other banks of similar size that I’ve worked for.

Cons

From an experienced, successful banking professional who’s worked in middle management for several private financial institutions, this is far and beyond the worst company I’ve ever worked for. If you accept a job here, you’ll likely be desperate to get out within six months.

The bank is owned by the Mawns - a family of pretentious attorneys who see their employees strictly as capital; not as people with real value. Upper management is a cold, legalistic group with very poor people management skills. Employee morale is very low and turnover is unbelievably high, largely due to extremely unrealistic expectations for retail banking sales. For not meeting goals, great managers are fired on a regular (usually annual) basis without being listened to; with upper management never considering that their own approach to the market may be flawed.

“Low ranking” tellers are often fired for minimal, human mistakes. In my 18 miserable months at Northern, I witnessed more than 3 dozen employees leave, most of them being terminations. Over the course of 10 years, this bank had gone through 6 heads of retail banking; one which was hired and fired even within the short time I was there. This company has had a number of unlawful termination suits filed against them, though sadly, most could never afford to bring them to court. I lived in fear for my job everyday but survived by staying quiet and never making any mistakes. HR is managed by the Mawn family and completely ineffective with regard to employee confidentiality. Not once did the CEO or anyone from upper management even care to meet me, nevermind visit the branch I managed for them. Especially for such a tiny institution that places so much emphasis on community banking, it’s absolutely unacceptable.

The facilities are also in terrible condition as upper management cut costs wherever possible (the running joke being that they’re slumlords). I felt sick on a daily basis because of the poor air quality of my branch - the strong smell of mildew was stomach churning. At one point, maggots were dropping from the ceiling onto my coworker’s desk - when she reported this to management, they accused her of being “filthy”, insisting that the maggots must have originated in some rotting mess she had created and demanded that she clean her “untidy” desk. This could not have been further from the truth. They did nothing further to investigate the problem.

Advice to Management

Your employees are fearful of you, and this is NOT something you should be proud of. Actually listen to them, show them that you care and make them feel appreciated... by visiting your branches regularly and getting to know who they are as people (yes, even tellers). You may just find that this yields the greatest ROI of all.

"teller"

I worked at Northern Bank and Trust full-time

Pros

horrible to customers and employees

Cons

terrible business owners. would give 0 stars

Advice to Management

improve on everything

"Dont recommend the bank"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Woburn, MA

I worked at Northern Bank and Trust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small community bank. Pizza & Salad Friday. Good hours! Great gift choices for employee appreciation night! Nice customers! Good locations...

Cons

Big bureaucracy! Paperwork for everything! We are in 21 century. The computers are our friends! Outdated bank systems! Very cheap.,.
    Too much drama... Gossips everywhere...

Advice to Management

Add more products. Be competitive. Hire GOOD trainer!!!

"The worst place to work in the entire country"

Former Employee - Branch in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Branch in Woburn, MA

I worked at Northern Bank and Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I couldn't think of one pro if I wanted to honestly. Maybe the fact that they allowed holiday decorations around Christmas but even those were cheap and mostly broken.

Cons

Where does one person even begin. No future growth opportunities whatsoever. Upper management who treat you literally like dogs. Banking fees that rip off customers and deceive them. Random branch audits with finger-pointing and deceptive performance management practices. No training whatsoever and outdated, complicated banking systems.

Advice to Management

Nobody would listen anyway so why bother.

8. "CLA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Northern Bank and Trust (More than a year)

Pros

Work Closely with executives in fast pace environment. Great work life balance

Cons

Location is not ideal, but easy commute

"Poor management"

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at Northern Bank and Trust part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly Branch Staff
    Friendly Customers

Cons

Underpaid
    They are always trying to make changes and don't bother to tell other employees.
    Some managers do make change and when you follow the change the manager plays: I never said that before.
    Supervisors accuse employees without asking what happened before.

"Peak time Teller"

I worked at Northern Bank and Trust part-time

Pros

Have a lot of free time
    Very friendly atmosphere

Cons

Very outdated systems, a lot of pressure to look professional, nothing to do majority of the time, no internet access for tellers

Advice to Management

Give internet access to tellers