Northern Illinois University Reviews
81% would recommend to a friend
(767 total reviews)
Lisa C. Freeman
82% approve of CEO
Found 767 of over 862 reviews
Updated Nov 27, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Pay is low (although on par with the rest of the universities GA's)" (in 57 reviews)
- "Low salary causes the department to miss out on much needed talent." (in 18 reviews)
- "Poor management, used to be a better place to work, tier 2 pension is horrible" (in 10 reviews)
- "Raises are few and far between negotiate a great salary up front." (in 7 reviews)
- "No training" (in 6 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Northern Illinois University and is not affected by filters.
- 5.0Aug 9, 2023Undergraduate Research AssistantCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearDeKalb, IL
You will obtain some great experience doing a research assistantship, and this will set you up for internships very well!
The pay isn't very good, but they are following a policy set up by the school.
- 5.0Jul 31, 2023Graduate Teaching AssistantFormer Employee, less than 1 yearDeKalb, IL
Work was flexible and pay was decent for 10 hours a week.
Students can be little argumentative at some times, you need to handle with patience.
- 5.0Jul 30, 2023Graduate Teaching AssistantFormer Employee, more than 1 year
Allowed WFH at the start. Chose your own hours.
No WFH in 2023 for TAs. Was not given a proper office to do my duties but just a classroom with 2-3 other TAs. Back would hurt like crazy sitting in tiny classroom chairs for hours. Students become pushy to update their grades and constant emails, which I don't mind. but be ready for that.
- 5.0Jul 10, 2023Student Assistant ResearcherFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsDeKalb, IL
On campus work. Flexible scheduling. A lot of autonomy.
N/a (I know that’s a cop out, but I had a really good experience)
Northern Illinois University Reviews FAQs
Northern Illinois University has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 862 reviews left anonymously by employees. 81% of employees would recommend working at Northern Illinois University to a friend and 76% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.
81% of Northern Illinois University employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Northern Illinois University 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.