Northern Quest Resort & Casino Reviews in Airway Heights, WA | Glassdoor

Phillip Haugen

"Lead Line cook"

Former Employee - Lead Line Cook in Airway Heights, WA
    Former Employee - Lead Line Cook in Airway Heights, WA

I worked at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits were great! The Tribe certainly had taking great care of their employees! Training programs were available. I truly appreciate all of the benefits offered as I did come to need them during my tenure. They stuck by the 8 hour work day and were great in offering double time for holiday pay (work 8 hours, get paid 16), among many others!

Cons

Too much red tape, Casino Management treated employees less than desirable (especially on the casino floor). The Tribe does a management flush every five years or so from the Executive level down. Typical shakeup for something new I guess. They placed too much emphasis on Native American (NA) preference. A non Native American more qualified for a position was overlooked for a less qualified individual who has Native American ancestry. Advancement was hard to accomplish due to red tape and NA preference, which is why I left.

Prior to hotel opening, benefits were fantastic! After the hotel opened, benefits dramatically reduced or became non existent.

Advice to Management

The company would be better suited to be more open in hiring duly qualified individuals based on qualifications and to remove NA preference.

2. "Reservations Agent"

Current Employee - Reservationist in Airway Heights, WA
    Current Employee - Reservationist in Airway Heights, WA

I have been working at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch and good Co-Workers

Cons

The management is unprofessional and is beyond selfish

Advice to Management

Not to be so selfish with there team members.

3. "It has potential. Needs new management and could be a great place"

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Airway Heights, WA
    Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Airway Heights, WA

I worked at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch. Everyone on the bottom are nice to eachother. Decent breaks. They give good discounts to team members.

Cons

Understaffed, horribly managed, the schedules are always messy and they definately don't work with you on them. They aren't able to keep people.

Advice to Management

Listen and help solve problems in the department.

5. "Great organization!"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Airway Heights, WA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Airway Heights, WA

I worked at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive wages, solid management team, and good employee relations made for a good workplace environment.

Cons

Quick growth (a good thing) made for much work for few hands during my time there.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of you.

6. "Customer Service"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Airway Heights, WA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Airway Heights, WA

I worked at Northern Quest Resort & Casino as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company continues to grow and expand which creates a feeling of job stability. Also, there are good benefits for employees from food discounts to entertainment and hotel options. The benefits are decent too for fulltime employees.

Cons

It is hard to advance within the company even though it continues to grow beyond a certain point. This is true of most companies, but it seems like there is more outside recruiting than searching for qualified employees within.

Advice to Management

Management can make or break, and there are many good managers here, but the company is growing so rapidly it can feel easy to get lost in the growth where there is so much excitement about the new options that management can feel like they've lost sight of the employees that help get to where they are now.

7. "One big disappointment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Airway Heights, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Airway Heights, WA

I have been working at Northern Quest Resort & Casino part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The diversity is wonderful. You can meet someone from just about every walk of life. I meet people who came here after Katrina.

Cons

Upper management will only promote those who will sacrifice values and morality. They set up these core values and then refuse to follow them. They have had contestant poor feedback by the team members and ignore it. At one of the last big meetings they badmouthed the Spokane tribe and the an executive said and I quote "there are too many handicap people" in response to a team member question about guests not being able to find handicap parking. when it comes to low level employees they expect you to break your back. Only to have your manager hardly ever show up for work because they are salary. They will not value you.

Advice to Management

Many so so many of your employees are unhappy. Pay attention. Because the reason you have kept the ratings you have is because of them.

8. "Casino Host"

Former Employee - Casino Host in Airway Heights, WA
    Former Employee - Casino Host in Airway Heights, WA

I worked at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits great team members

Cons

want younger people so they don't have to pay a higher salary. Very Political

Advice to Management

improve communication

9. "The tribe was amazing.. but the management was inconsistent, none of them were on the same page. I feel disappointed."

Former Employee - Server in Airway Heights, WA

I worked at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid holidays, vacations, incentive programs. the property was gorgeous. the majority of the guests were so much fun to see and server. My fellow co-workers were exceptional.

Cons

i didnt understand the sick policy, why accrue sick time if you cant use it? without the fear of losing your job. Or being denied your vacation/time off request. Hours of operation 24 hours a day.

Advice to Management

Your management teams should communicate in their circles before executing the main goal. so that everyone is on the same page. instead of one telling you to do it one way and another manager telling you to do it the other way..

10. "I never want to go back."

Former Employee - Server in Airway Heights, WA

I worked at Northern Quest Resort & Casino part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My fellow team members were very good people. Hard workers who deserve to be treated a lot better than what Northern Quest offers as management and structure.

Cons

Negative Work Environment
    Encouraged to go to management with any problems, then punished for speaking up
    Management thinks they are way above the rest of the crew. Not willing to help out.
    Management uses fear of firing people to get employees to do what they want
    Upper management ignores such issues when brought to their attention by multiple team members
    Never get raises
    Huge turnover rate
    No positive reinforcement, compliments or encouragement
    Guests have complained to me about rudeness of management
    They have simply forgot about the Guest Experience, and are more focused on how much money they can get out of them. My advice is to find a better place to spend your money.

Advice to Management

If multiple team members come to upper management with the same problem, it is most likely a real problem on the property. By not dealing with the problem, and more-so, causing more negativity, cost the casino many valuable employees. I use to say I loved to work for Northern Quest, but now I am telling anyone I know not to go as a guest, and absolutely do not work there.

11. "Fun experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Airway Heights, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Airway Heights, WA

I worked at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of politics and preference being that it is a native casino. Even though the company is constantly expanding, there are hardly any raises. Depending on the department, not a lot of communication going on and some people in high positions are extremely power hungry.

Cons

A lot of benefits. Paid lunch hours, vacation time, and 401K. Fun place to work if you love to people watch.