Northern Quest Resort & Casino Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Phillip Haugen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "The good, bad, and the ugly"

Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Airway Heights, WA
    Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Airway Heights, WA

I have been working at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Free lunch, cheap benefits, mostly great co-workers, fun place most of the time

Cons

The food is not that great, but hey, its free! Too many people making decisions and nothing getting done. Advancement is hard to come by, its sad that people are hired that do not have the experience and those that do are looked past. The pay gap between low man on the totem pole and the ones in which are held up high is sad. There is a way to pay your team members better, it means stop over paying your upper management so much.

Advice to Management

The phrase "If you succeed, then we have succeeded" needs to actually be used and not a myth! Stop hiring people outside of the casino and allow your current team members the opportunity to advance themselves. Stop playing the popularity contest and get people into positions that are qualified. Pay your security guards more, for what is asked of them, you pay them peanuts. They are supposed to protect us, and for $11, that is the last thing on most of their minds. Start living the Core Values, supervisors and above, and stop pretending you do. Stop trying to hurt the Spokane Tribe, it makes you greedy and a complete contradiction of the Core Values. Natives are supposed to help each other, not slander and hurt! Keep your team members informed on current events of the casino. Instead of slandering the Spokane's and wasting time, get your affairs in order and start building up the casino, less time talking smack, more time getting NQR&C to where it can be!! Without those of us on the bottom, those on the top will fall for you will have nothing to stand on!!!

2. "Loyal, dedicated, hard working don't bother-you'll be replaced"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Airway Heights, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Airway Heights, WA

I worked at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was great. Room for advancement. Benefits are great. Tribe gives employees as many promotional incentives as they give guests.

Cons

Don't get proper training for positions. Attendance calendar is a joke. Management will go back on time clock and add points when you had schedule changes just so they can fire people.

Advice to Management

One would think a company would want to keep its hardest working dedicated employees. Too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the pot.

3. "AV Supervisor"

Current Employee - AV Supervisor in Airway Heights, WA
    Current Employee - AV Supervisor in Airway Heights, WA

Pros

Exciting, regular growth in diverse directions.

Cons

Very inconsistent treatment of Team Members and extremely slow internal processes.

"Lead Line cook"

Former Employee - Lead Line Cook in Airway Heights, WA
    Former Employee - Lead Line Cook in Airway Heights, WA

I worked at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits were great! The Tribe certainly had taking great care of their employees! Training programs were available. I truly appreciate all of the benefits offered as I did come to need them during my tenure. They stuck by the 8 hour work day and were great in offering double time for holiday pay (work 8 hours, get paid 16), among many others!

Cons

Too much red tape, Casino Management treated employees less than desirable (especially on the casino floor). The Tribe does a management flush every five years or so from the Executive level down. Typical shakeup for something new I guess. They placed too much emphasis on Native American (NA) preference. A non Native American more qualified for a position was overlooked for a less qualified individual who has Native American ancestry. Advancement was hard to accomplish due to red tape and NA preference, which is why I left.

Prior to hotel opening, benefits were fantastic! After the hotel opened, benefits dramatically reduced or became non existent.

Advice to Management

The company would be better suited to be more open in hiring duly qualified individuals based on qualifications and to remove NA preference.

5. "NOT GOOD MANGEMENT"

Current Employee - Reservations Agent in Airway Heights, WA
    Current Employee - Reservations Agent in Airway Heights, WA

I have been working at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to have free lunch

Cons

Management really does not care about anyone besides themselves.

6. "Fun place to work!"

Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician in Fruitland, WA
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician in Fruitland, WA

I have been working at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is nice and seem to enjoy their jobs.
    Lots of teamwork.
    Good core values.
    Good benefits.
    Free food!

Cons

Choice of food in the cafeteria is repetitive, but they feed you for free so its hard to complain.

Advice to Management

None at this time

"Morally Bankrupt"

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Supervisor in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Supervisor in Spokane, WA

I worked at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work is easy.
    You can easily keep the job if you don't want to work hard.

Cons

This company has no moral compass at all. Profits are put in front of people nearly constabtly. Drinks are pushed on people who are already drunk or obviously high in order to compromise their judgement. Every employee has to sign a Native Preference policy which states that Natives will be chosen for promotion over them. No care is given to attempting to keep employees. Just an awful awful under paying company.

Advice to Management

Pay more and promote people based on merit not the color of their skin.

8. "It has potential. Needs new management and could be a great place"

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Airway Heights, WA
    Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Airway Heights, WA

I worked at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch. Everyone on the bottom are nice to eachother. Decent breaks. They give good discounts to team members.

Cons

Understaffed, horribly managed, the schedules are always messy and they definately don't work with you on them. They aren't able to keep people.

Advice to Management

Listen and help solve problems in the department.

9. "Great organization!"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Airway Heights, WA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Airway Heights, WA

I worked at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive wages, solid management team, and good employee relations made for a good workplace environment.

Cons

Quick growth (a good thing) made for much work for few hands during my time there.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of you.

10. "It turned into a joke."

Former Employee - Warehouse Specialist in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Specialist in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

I worked at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a job, no room for advancement.

Cons

Need serious work on bullying by supervisors. After many discussions with the department managers, nothing was ever done to stop an individual I worked under. I quit when I was accused of creating a hostile work environment on a one time situation which I deeply regretted, but the joke was that I, along with others in the department, had put up with a far more serious situation for years,