Northern Tool + Equipment Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Chuck Albrecht

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The take pride in having a great work/life balance for their employees" (in 17 reviews)

• "Northern is one of the few great, family-owned companies" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "I know I’m only part time but I do more than just cashiering" (in 8 reviews)

• "low pay and sometimes long hours" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Contact Center Employee in Burnsville, MN
    Current Employee - Contact Center Employee in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Northern Tool provides a great working environment. They provide a great work/life balance for their employees. The amount of hours that you are expected to work are reasonable, and if something personal comes up they are also flexible. The company has both internal and external educational opportunities and a nice tuition reimbursement package that supports employees who want to develop themselves in terms of education and personal development. The compensation is not the same as huge companies but it makes up for that in life / work balance and in a healthy work environment. The company does little things for all the employees, Donuts Day, Coffee and bagels, Twins Day, etc.. It makes being at work fun and who doesn't love a bagel and donuts with a hot cup of coffee

Cons

Small company so there are limits to growth, Tuition reimbursement is nice but you have to bee here a full year so if you're in school it can delay your degree if you're needing employer funds or cost more from your own pocket. Health benefits are only after a full 30 month. So you can end up waiting 60 days

Advice to Management

None

Jul 2, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review. Hearing from Contact Center employees makes us happy! We are so glad you are enjoying your experience working for us.

2. "Senior Assistant Manager"

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hours, Health Benefits, incentives, great communication.

Cons

Relocation is a must for advancement.

Aug 6, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are so glad you are happy here!

3. "State Fair Review, positive"

Pros

Fun place to work, good people, generally clear with instructions.

Cons

Fast paced, could be different depending on the day.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Aug 16, 2018 – Human Resources

We are so glad you enjoyed your experience at our tent at the Minnesota State Fair. Thank you for sharing and please consider joining us again next year!

4. "Inbound Sales Supervisor"

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time

Pros

South of the river office.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement in this company.

Aug 16, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We would encourage you to speak to your manager regarding your desire to advance within the company. We have a strong internal hire rate at all... More

5. "Cashier/Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time

Pros

GREAT ATMOSPHERE!!!! THE CUSTOMER LOVE THAT WE ARE IN MOBILE, AL...

Cons

YOU HAVE and EMPLOYEE THAT WILL INTERRUPT you WHEN TALKING TO A CUSTOMER . The customer came to me wanting information. I went to the computer to show him the information. The customer did not want any help from the other associate. WE lost a 1500.00 sale BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMEONE THAT IS RUDE and greedy!

Advice to Management

You need to fix the problem in the store.

Aug 16, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We would encourage you to connect with your store manager regarding the issue you addressed here.

6. "Frustrating lack of support"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good pay and people

Cons

Upper management inconsistent and not supportive

Advice to Management

Give more authority to stores

Aug 16, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review.

7. "Can’t wait to quit after I graduate in December from college!"

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One pro I would say that keeps me here is they work with your school schedule.

Cons

-You are allotted two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute break for a 8.5 hour shift but you only ever get a 30 minute break and a quick bathroom break.
    -The customers that come in there are of a different breed that’s for sure. They only come to shop when coupons get sent out. If they forget their coupons they expect you to give them one. When you tell them you don’t have any and that you can actually get fired (which is true) the customer calls you an obscene name that is unnecessary.
    -You’re not allowed to stand up for yourself when customers are being rude or calling you obscene names. You are told to keep your mouth shut and take it.
    -Managers won’t stand up for you either. I had an extremely rude customer who got irritated with me because I wouldn’t honor a sale price on an item that was no longer on sale. I had a manager standing behind me the whole time and the customer went on and on about how this was BS and more obscene language. The manager did nothing and the customer finally left in a tissy fit. It was a Sunday so I asked to go home early because I couldn’t take it anymore.
    -We are constantly under staffed but somehow over budget.
    -As a cashier you’re not allowed to sit down during your shift except on your 30 minute break. You’re provided with the worst “support” mat to stand on. Can’t tell you how many shoes I’ve gone through and wasted $100’s of dollars and my feet still ache. You can’t go far from the register (which is understandable) but that means you’re stuck in this little box at the register for 8 hours every shift.
    -Our registers are always messing up because the company refuses to get new equipment and software. The WiFi went out COMPANY wide on a Saturday (usually the busiest day of the week) and that meant the card readers didn’t work, check machine didn’t work, we could only take cash. If the customer only had a card or check then we had to write up a hand receipt of every single item they were buying, get all of their information, when the WiFi came back up a couple hours later we had to input everything manually.
    -It’s hard to get backup on the register if the store is busy and there is 1 manager, 1 sales associate and 1 cashier. I’ve called several times for back up and never received help. I was 8-10 customers deep in line.
    -Some of the managers like to hide in the office for hours at a time, they don’t answer their radios because they either never have it on or they turn the volume down so they don’t have to hear people asking for help.
    -The managers only worry about getting the store in tip top shape right before someone from corporate is coming for a visit. If it was done on a regular basis it wouldn’t be such a scramble when they come.
    -I’ve worked for this company for a little over 3 years now and I am the least paid employee there. I know I’m only part time but I do more than just cashiering. I cover other people’s shifts all the time, sometimes I’m made to be a sales associate (and I don’t get commission on that day because I’m part time and a cashier), I put freight away, I help with getting clothing out of boxes, hung up and priced and put out on the floor, redo planograms and resets, sweep the entire store because no one else does and the floors get really gross, etc. I can basically do everyone’s job in there. I even know how to do someone management tasks because I’ve had too.
    -This job will stretch you thin and everyone in there takes advantage of you and your skills.
    -I get called to the register when there is a semi complicated transaction to do because the managers don’t trust the newest or oldest full time cashier to correctly handle the transaction. WHAT does that tell you?! You need better staff.
    -There are people who have worked at this store since it opened who have no idea how to do their job correctly and they have no idea where anything is in the store.
    -Oh one last thing I once asked for a weekend off so I could spend time with my grandma and aunt. I got the weekend off, but then had to work 14 days straight without a day off. I asked the manager why I was working a 14 day stretch, he said “well I gave you that weekend off that you wanted didn’t I?” Like seriously?! I hadnt had a weekend off in months and I ask for Friday- Sunday off once and I’m punished for it.
    -I could go on but I think this is enough. As you can see, this is a GREAT place to work.

Aug 16, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. While we are so glad that you are happy with the scheduling, we are deeply concerned about the other issues mentioned. We would love it if you... More

8. "Solid Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Keyholder/Floor Leader in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Keyholder/Floor Leader in Cary, NC

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible Scheduling
    Solid Management Team
    Good Benefits
    Fair Amount of Paid/Floating Holidays
    Growing, Family Owned Company

Cons

Occasional operational disconnect between corporate management and store levels.

Not Much Room for Advancement

Jul 13, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate hearing from our stores and from long-term employees. We are glad you are enjoying NTE!

9. "Cashier"

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management and co-workers were pleasant to work with. Management scheduled me around my school hours. You receive an employee discount.

Cons

Standing most of the day. Sometimes I felt we were understaffed at times. There could be two cashiers working at the same time.

Advice to Management

I do not have any advice for management other than providing positive support and criticism to the employees.

Jul 11, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review!

10. "Cashier"

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time

Pros

Hours are fair. Nice customers for the most part.

Cons

Poor management. Hire friends in management and out everyone else. Not fair.

Advice to Management

Do not hire your buddies and forget your duties to the company.

Aug 7, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review.