Northern Tool + Equipment Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Chuck Albrecht

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The take pride in having a great work/life balance for their employees" (in 18 reviews)

• "Northern is one of the few great, family-owned companies" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "low pay and sometimes long hours" (in 8 reviews)

• "I know I’m only part time but I do more than just cashiering" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Contact Center Employee in Burnsville, MN
    Current Employee - Contact Center Employee in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Northern Tool provides a great working environment. They provide a great work/life balance for their employees. The amount of hours that you are expected to work are reasonable, and if something personal comes up they are also flexible. The company has both internal and external educational opportunities and a nice tuition reimbursement package that supports employees who want to develop themselves in terms of education and personal development. The compensation is not the same as huge companies but it makes up for that in life / work balance and in a healthy work environment. The company does little things for all the employees, Donuts Day, Coffee and bagels, Twins Day, etc.. It makes being at work fun and who doesn't love a bagel and donuts with a hot cup of coffee

Cons

Small company so there are limits to growth, Tuition reimbursement is nice but you have to bee here a full year so if you're in school it can delay your degree if you're needing employer funds or cost more from your own pocket. Health benefits are only after a full 30 month. So you can end up waiting 60 days

Advice to Management

None

Jul 2, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review. Hearing from Contact Center employees makes us happy! We are so glad you are enjoying your experience working for us.

2. "Manager"

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time

Pros

NTE has a fantastic culture! There's a true "you're part of a family feel" and everyone has been so nice to work with. There is great energy in the building, evident by those you meet each day!

Cons

No negatives to share so far!

Advice to Management

I appreciate the open, transparent environment - this leads to and supports a great culture!

Sep 24, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for your wonderful review!

3. "Family Feel"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Burlington, NC
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Burlington, NC

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All my associates are always helpful to each other, As everyone from top to bottom has the sense of what needs to be done, there is virtually no need for order giving, assuming you have the common sense and maturity to take an ownership attitude of the store. I am fortunate to be among co-workers who are clearly able to successfully self direct.

Cons

Low pay, considering (at least at my store) that my co-workers are seasoned, intelligent, self-starting, knowledgeable, hard working people.

Advice to Management

I really like my management, and job, and I have no doubt whatsoever that they will know exactly who submitted this review. So feel free to contact me directly should they have the desire to do so.

Oct 9, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for your review. We are so glad you are happy and will pass along your feedback!

4. "You cannot get fired from here."

Current Employee - Cashier in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Will work around other schedules.
    Competitive pay.
    Decent insurance.
    You literally cannot get fired from here.

Cons

One of the biggest issues that we've had in our store has been an older employee, who feels like she can do whatever she wants. She generally does, and gets away with it regardless of how detrimental it is to the store.

Advice to Management

End the favoritism, do what needs to be done.

Oct 16, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We have passed along your feedback to the HR Representative in charge of your region for follow-up. Have a great day!

5. "Asst. Store manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time

Pros

Great hr dept. Decent sales training

Cons

Management doesnt back employees when there are issues

Advice to Management

Better management training

Oct 9, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We will pass along your feedback to management.

6. "Mislead"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Katy, TX

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is job (that sucks) (I needed at lest 5 words for Pro)

Cons

Management
    Core Values
    -How can a Company say they value Intergrity and yet allow a Sale associate to cheat customers and most of management in the Houstion area knows it?
    Work/Life Balance
    Pay

Advice to Management

Train your managers better in interpersonal skills and how to set the example of your core values
    If managers know an employee is cheating customers do something about it and don't use that employee as an example to new employees about how much money can be made.

GET RID OF COMMISSION!!! al it cuases is internal fighting. Also when an employee dosen't get credit for a sale fix it. Come up with a system where an employee can check an see if said sale has been credited.

Oct 9, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review. Acting with Integrity is one of our Core Values - values we stand behind and believe in. We would encourage you to connect with your HR Business Partner with your... More

7. "State Fair Review, positive"

Pros

Fun place to work, good people, generally clear with instructions.

Cons

Fast paced, could be different depending on the day.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Aug 16, 2018 – Human Resources

We are so glad you enjoyed your experience at our tent at the Minnesota State Fair. Thank you for sharing and please consider joining us again next year!

8. "Senior Assistant Manager"

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hours, Health Benefits, incentives, great communication.

Cons

Relocation is a must for advancement.

Aug 6, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are so glad you are happy here!

9. "Inbound Sales Supervisor"

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time

Pros

South of the river office.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement in this company.

Aug 16, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We would encourage you to speak to your manager regarding your desire to advance within the company. We have a strong internal hire rate at all... More

10. "Cashier/Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time

Pros

GREAT ATMOSPHERE!!!! THE CUSTOMER LOVE THAT WE ARE IN MOBILE, AL...

Cons

YOU HAVE and EMPLOYEE THAT WILL INTERRUPT you WHEN TALKING TO A CUSTOMER . The customer came to me wanting information. I went to the computer to show him the information. The customer did not want any help from the other associate. WE lost a 1500.00 sale BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMEONE THAT IS RUDE and greedy!

Advice to Management

You need to fix the problem in the store.

Aug 16, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We would encourage you to connect with your store manager regarding the issue you addressed here.