KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

3.5
Northern Tool + Equipment President and CEO Suresh Krishna
Suresh Krishna

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people to work with and enjoying meeting different people each day.(in 27 reviews)
  • "good benefits.....wish i had more to say(in 26 reviews)
  • "Good pay and great assistant manager Darrell Williams(in 25 reviews)
  • "Work life balance is good(in 19 reviews)
  • "Great coworkers and Great customers(in 14 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Northern Tool + Equipment and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years
    Featured Review

Great company to work for

Apr 15, 2022 - Information Technology
    Business Outlook

Pros

Northern Tool + Equipment is a great company to work for. They're a growing company with a lot of opportunities if you're willing to work hard and take the initiative to learn. Management (all levels) that cares about their employees and listens to them, great co-workers, training opportunities, room for growth. Work/Life balance

Cons

Unable to think of any cons

2. 5.0
    Former Employee

Northern tools stocker review

Aug 31, 2022 - Morning Stocker
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pretty laid-back, just focus on what you need to do when you need to do it and how they ask you to do it.

Cons

None I had a good time there

Northern Tool + Equipment Response

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! Best wishes to you.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Good business outlook but……..

Sep 17, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great product line. Growing company. Good PTO. Pay is decent.

Cons

Mostly all new executive team over past 2+ years. All with new initiatives to undertake at the same time along with multiple major technology upgrades. Some new positions added but none to the existing teams to support the aggressive growth plans and change. Result is long hours with no end in sight. They are losing A LOT of great employees. Not because they aren’t willing to work hard, just have burned them out. They know they have a turnover problem but haven’t been willing to seriously address it. Each week they lose people.

Northern Tool + Equipment Response

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. You are right, we have aggressive growth targets and are committed to accelerating the growth of our organization. We are equally committed to having fun and supporting our team members along the way as the company grows. We wish you all the best in the future!

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best Part time job ever

Aug 27, 2022 - Sales Associate in Johnson City, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good natured hardworking people work here. I always enjoy coming to work.

Cons

Starting pay is only $11.00

Northern Tool + Equipment Response

Best headline ever! Thanks for sharing your experience with Northern Tool + Equipment. We’re powered by smart, hard-working and helpful people - like you!

5. 3.0
    Former Employee

Busy

Sep 9, 2022 - IT Management
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good, nice people on the teams

Cons

Quite a bit going on concurrently. Very fast pace. Sometimes too much

Northern Tool + Equipment Response

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. You are right - we work hard and fast. You certainly get new skills and work experiences as we grow this business. Best wishes to you!

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Employee turnover

Sep 4, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Small discount. I had weekends off.

Cons

High turnover of employees (but not management). Most good coworkers walked out bc of overworked, underpaid, but hey we had a pizza party.

Northern Tool + Equipment Response

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Core Values are important. We take all concerns seriously. Please reach out to us directly at hr-operations@northerntool.com to discuss how we can improve.

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Horrible place to work— 0 stars

Sep 10, 2022 - Operations in Burnsville, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

None to think of since new Management came in.

Cons

No consideration of tenure employees. Gossip, spreading false information and lack of integrity from leadership.

Northern Tool + Equipment Response

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're sorry to hear that you had a negative experience. We take all concerns seriously. Please reach out to us directly at hr-operations@northerntool.com to discuss how we can improve.

8. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

All Types of Co-Workers

Aug 17, 2022 - Retail Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

When you have good co-workers and competent managers it's pleasant. Typical retail.

Cons

When you have poor co-workers and incompetent managers it's an unpleasant place to work. Typical retail.

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Did OK

Aug 12, 2022 - Associate Merchant
    Business Outlook

Pros

As long as you can make a business case, most changes/suggestions are considered and supported.

Cons

No onboarding processes when hired.

10. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Toxic Environment

Sep 1, 2022 - Distribution Supervisor in Fort Mill, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great co-workers Family owned business Nice tools

Cons

Upper management Zero room for advancement Senior management has been running the facility over 20 years Forced overtime on many weekends with no compensation Toxic environment due to the Union

Viewing 1 - 10 of 371 Reviews

Northern Tool + Equipment Reviews FAQs

Northern Tool + Equipment has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 380 reviews left anonymously by employees. 58% of employees would recommend working at Northern Tool + Equipment to a friend and 60% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -9% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Northern Tool + Equipment employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Northern Tool + Equipment. This rating has decreased by -12% over the last 12 months.

58% of Northern Tool + Equipment employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Northern Tool + Equipment 3.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.5 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Northern Tool + Equipment to be career development, benefits, coworkers and the cons to be culture, compensation, management.

Popular Careers with Northern Tool + Equipment Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Northern Tool + Equipment? Share Your Experiences

Northern Tool + Equipment Careers

Cover image for Northern Tool + Equipment

I grew up on Minnesota's Iron Range, between Hibbing and Chisholm. As a youngster, I worked for my father, whose scrap yard recycled...More

• Benefits
  • Mission/Values
  • Dear Applicants
  • Culture

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

203 days ago

Culture
Thankful for our dedicated employees who build our culture and create a great place to work!
Shared image

546 days ago

Company News
We’re proud to welcome Jacks Small Engines into the Northern Tool family! Bringing Jacks on board boosts our expertise in tools, equipment, engines + maintenance services even more by offering millions of repair and maintenance parts to support the hard-working trades professionals + serious DIYers. Northern Tool has long admired the Jacks brand position, customer loyalty and digital platform, and Jacks’ family-run roots mirror our company’s values, making this partnership a natural fit.
Northern Tool Acquires Online Supplier Jack's Small Engines
www.ien.com

Northern Tool + Equipment Photos

+ Add Photo
Northern Tool + Equipment photo of: World Headquarters
Northern Tool + Equipment photo of: Toolidazzle is in full swing at Northern Tool + Equipment! Check out these looks from our ugly holiday sweater contest. #funfriday #toolidazzle #uglysweater #funatwork #burnsville
Northern Tool + Equipment photo of: Halloween 2019
Northern Tool + Equipment photo of: Corporate HQ employees representing their teams for the Vikings vs Packers #borderbattle game this Sunday!
Northern Tool + Equipment photo of: Showing our Purple Pride at the Corporate HQ !
Northern Tool + Equipment photo of: Football season is here! SKOL Vikings!
Northern Tool + Equipment photo of: Weld, Hammer and Duct Tape