Northern Tool + Equipment Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2020

3.5
Northern Tool + Equipment President and CEO Chuck Albrecht  (no image)
Chuck Albrecht
Pros
  • "Family friendly, focus on work life balance for employees(in 24 reviews)

• "Great company to work for, family owned, great atmosphere(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "I have been employed at northern for a little over a year and I am still part time(in 10 reviews)

• "the upper management "seems" to have no clue to running a large retail business(in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Family Business"

Former Employee - Business Development in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being a family run business Northern Tool was like a family. Over the 3 years that I was there I met friends that I will have in my life forever. Their products were always advancing and easy to sell because the reputation of the company stood behind it. Just a fantastic company.

Cons

The pay wasn't competitive with the market...that was how they lost me.

August 26, 2019Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at Northern. We regularly do compensation analysis to ensure that we are being competitive in the marketplace so we appreciate your feedback. I have forwarded your feedback on to our compensation department.

2. "Couldn't be happier!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Administrative Assistant in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture, the people, and the business model.

Cons

My onboarding/training process was shortened, so felt a little lost at the beginning.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Distribution Manager in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The management at my facility is great.

Cons

There is too much forced overtime on weekends.

4. "Overall"

1.0

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time for less than a year

Pros

Not too much to note on

Cons

No benefits, management was not good

Continue reading
  5. "the head needs to listen to its staff"

2.0
    Current Employee - Senior, ASM

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time

Pros

they make some of what they sell

Cons

there is no communication allowed from the workers to management

Continue reading
  6. "Eh, good for a temporary job, while you're searching for another one."

2.0
    Current Employee - Sales in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Family run, can be lots of fun working with the customers.

Cons

Pay is not competitive with market. I've been with the company over two years and I've got to say, they've lost me. I took a lesser position in a new store to help them open, expecting to move up in that store. They've been talking me up for promotion for just about a year now, however, theres always just one more new goal I need to accomplish. Moved to a new store with them, hoping to move up, unfortunately my last two years of employment are not going to be viewed as experience for management. Promotions end at key holder in the same store for employees looking to move up. If offered a position, employee must pay out of pocket for the move to take the position in another location. Company boasts how they love to promote from the inside, however, from the last two stores they've always hired from the outside and denied promotions to management. Raises are 3% per year, commission is minimal for sales and most of the time the sales you make are not credited towards you.

May 27, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience working for us isn't what you had hoped, and that you were not selected for a promotion in your store. We do promote from within quite often, in fact, our internal promotion rate is right around 50%. We have a very competitive relocation package when we promote and/or move a Northern Tool employee to a different store location. In situations where an employee already has a planned relocation for personal reasons and they ask to be transferred to a different store, we grant them the transfer whenever possible, but would not pay relocation expenses, unless it were for a role that is covered by our relocation policy.

7. "NTE great culture great people"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are really given what you need to solve problems. It is a fun place to work. There doesn't seem to be artificial barriers.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of skill set for things, which means that you will take on more responsibility than you probably have skill for. They do however give you the time and the freedom to learn and train up.

May 8, 2020Human Resources

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a review. We really appreciate the valuable feedback. We are so happy that you enjoy working here - we really do have a great culture and a great team!

8. "I’ve been given an opportunity to grow"

Current Employee - Key Holder

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation, compensation and once again compensation

Cons

I feel the location would run smoothly if they had more staff

February 14, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoy working for us.

9. "This place needs new management!!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Lead/Key Holder in O'Fallon, IL

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is reasonable If there are good sales the place is busy

Cons

They are hyper focused on SOP guidelines They worry more about whether an employee is allowed to have something at their station, rather than if the employees work is improved by having it there. Nobody cares about employees it's all about what the SOP guidelines says

February 14, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your time working at Northern. Employee engagement is very important to us - we regularly do engagement surveys and create action plans based off of the results of those surveys, so we are continually listening to employee's feedback and trying to improve. We would love to hear more from you about the concerns you had at your store. If you would be willing, please reach out to us at talent@northerntool.com .

10. "Improving all the time!"

Current Employee - Senior Server Engineer

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Work Life Balance. Family Run and feels like working with a family who cares. Fun and Energizing. Management is truly looking to help the company modernize and become more efficient. Salary is competitive to that of larger companies.

Cons

Still have some old, bad habits that need to be shed. Little stressful at times while we try to keep pace and shed old tech. Benefits are generally okay, but lack some options.

January 13, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We are happy to hear that you enjoy working here and recognize the positive changes we are making with technologies and efficiencies! We truly appreciate your feedback - it's direct feedback like this from our employees that can help us to better understand what we are doing well and where we can improve. Thank you!

Found 211 reviews