Northern Tool + Equipment Reviews | Glassdoor

Northern Tool + Equipment Reviews

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chuck Albrecht

Pros
  • The company supports work life balance and gives employees the opportunity to work hard and play hard (in 12 reviews)

• Family owned company, great customers, decent benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, bad mgmt, unreal expectations , back stabbing on all levels (in 6 reviews)

• The hours suck for part time people like myself and can't get a second job because of the schedule "me working every Saturday" (in 6 reviews)

"Management"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Garland, TX

Pros

Close early, discount, not much

Cons

Low pay, bad mgmt, unreal expectations , back stabbing on all levels.

Advice to Management

Hire better mgmt, pay better

Northern Tool + Equipment Response

Oct 10, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We will share your feedback with our management team.

"Don't work here"

Current Employee - Product Placement Specialist in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Product Placement Specialist in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you smoke you can take all the cigarette breaks you want.

Cons

crappy schedule, low pay. 3/4 of my coworkers are super annoying.

Advice to Management

burn the building to the ground.

"Don't get hurt there. They will terminate your employment right away."

Former Employee - Assembly in Faribault, MN
    Former Employee - Assembly in Faribault, MN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are ok but hard to pay for with how much you make.

Cons

Treat you like a slave. Poor pay and bad management.

Advice to Management

Treat people like you would like to them to treat you. Get a plan of attack to get things done instead of going with spare of the moment.

Northern Tool + Equipment Response

Feb 26, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Partner

We take our reviews on Glassdoor very seriously. We take pride in the safety of our employees and by no means do we ever terminate an employee because of an injury. We are sorry about your experience ... More

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The store is not open late at night.

Cons

Stores need to have more staff because if one person calls off it affects the whole store. My coworkers were nice but some of the managers there had serious personality issues and will harass and belittle you for anything they can. I had enough of my assistant manager I decided to quit on the spot one day. The pay is terrible as well especially if you're a cashier. I would not recommend this job to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to stop cutting corners and properly staff the stores. Also upgrade the computer systems. This company really pinches pennies and you can tell.

5. "Job from hell!"

Former Employee - Cashier in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits.....wish i had more to say

Cons

low pay, low raises, watching people go into management that were not hired form within the company....bummer not a job to grow with. Management is terrible! too cozy, think they are to good to "work" with the other employees....god complex.
    spp upsales turned ridiculous in jan.2014....more of a mentally stressful job than anything. cheaply made merchandise

Advice to Management

Management needs an update, protocol also a bit on the ridiculous side. Main thing to work on as a company is go through your stores and separate all the family members that work together, it's not fair to everyone else ex. death in family....store is short handed and management wont do anything about it. the store i worked in there were 5 family members working together.....its 2014 people! i would never recommend this job to ANYONE! I don't even like the fact i have to give this review a star to be rated. Oh and watch your personal information, the corporate headquarters gave mine out to another party with out my consent!

6. "Very poor management and merchandising"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. A decent place to work for the first few months then the new store manager got there and after that it was all down hill.

Cons

Poor pay. More junk than tools. Selling SPP above & beyond doing anything else of to the point of losing your job. Poorest store manager in the country.

Advice to Management

Try hiring a store manager that doesn't make a new hire ready to quit after the first week. Also having one that doesn't make customers mad on an almost daily basis and not firing an ASM that customers actually like and come back to see would be a tremendous help. FYI I was employed for 5+ years so I did notice a few things. Unfortunately in the USA a manager is a dictator because you can say nothing negative towards one or else.

7. "Northern Tool's is a difficult place to work with no opportunities to grow at there Manufacturing Facility."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Faribault, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Faribault, MN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time

Pros

They offered great opportunities for a work-life balance with half days every other Friday. There is a diverse array of products that come out of that facility.

Cons

There is no opportunity for advancement. Most individuals who have been there have been in the same position for 5+ years.

Advice to Management

Work on improving opportunities and growing employee knowledge.

8. "not trustworthy"

Former Employee - Loader in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Loader in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very affliated with having fun with workers for there hard work.

Cons

challenged to the maximum for hard work that is brought upon yourself from heavy lifting.

Advice to Management

make work easier for workers who are keeping the company standing and give workers a chance to be hired again after termination.

9. "Horrible and lazy management. Always passing the buck and never fixing problems."

Current Employee - Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few decent people here and there. Work and home life pretty fair most of the time. That's about it

Cons

Pretty much everything, horrible pay, shitty raises, awful management from store and corporate levels. Breaks non existent, like pulling teeth to get your OWN paid vacation days.

Advice to Management

Employees run this store, maybe you should start listening to those people instead of doing nothing.

"An extremely TOXIC work environment"

Former Employee - N/A in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - N/A in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A paycheck / and medical benefits though not the best in the world. . .

Cons

Everyone has a personal agenda to become the great butt in charge. Throw you under the bus is the best example of how day to day work is at Northern. Family owned and claim to be so oriented don't believe it a lie. Spare yourself the misery of working for them. Spent 7 years working there gave over an extra 1 - 2 months a year in overtime and on call. Love to work you to death stay away from this company.

Advice to Management

Get rid of management who prefers suck ups rather than those who actual does the wry.