Northern Tool + Equipment Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 16, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chuck Albrecht
1 Rating

Pros
  • The company supports work life balance and gives employees the opportunity to work hard and play hard (in 12 reviews)

• The people are great to work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, bad mgmt, unreal expectations , back stabbing on all levels (in 5 reviews)

• They only cons that I can think of are, it is unreliable hours if you are part time (which is any (in 5 reviews)

1. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Gastonia, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Gastonia, NC

Pros

It is a large company with the feel of a small family business, management gives their employees a job to do and the authority to do it. Part time employees can get a reduced version of health insurance if they work at least 30 hours per week

Cons

It seems they are always short handed and each employee is regularly expected to do the job of 2 or 3 employees without complaint. Breaks are frequently not given because there is only one cashier and nobody to spell them. If a second cashier is there at same time, they are put to work putting up stock.....

Advice to Management

Allow 2nd cashier on premises to spell primary cashier for breaks as needed, cashier's are held accountable for their drawers balancing at end of shift, even though other people are allowed to use said drawers

2. "Retail shouldn't be this stressful."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) The people are great
    2) One can make good contacts
    3) Discounts on tools
    4) Make good money if you put in the work
    5) They work with your schedule
    6) Management is helpful and professional

Cons

1) The conversion rate is controlled by an obsolete, inefficient, inaccurate, and useless piece of software that has entirely too much affect on the daily operations of the store.
    2) Because of the fracking boom 2 years ago the stores struggle to maintain realistic numbers now that the industry is in the toilet.
    3) Warehouse operation is inefficient. Store is always behind in freight and the salespeople are forsed to focus on freight, not making $$$ for themselves or the store.
    4) Store honors online pricing. The idea is to get customers to GO TO a website and shop. They don't have to when they can go to the store and have the salesperson find it, the cashier bag it, someone load it, and still get $$ off....NO BRAINER... $$$ HEMORRHAGE.
    5) No military discount
    6) Parts and Service/ Warehouse are closed on weekends but their departments don't close, leaving sales to do that too.
    7) Air conditioning is controlled remotely. In South Texas the thermostat should not be controlled as it were in Minnesota.
    8) It costs more to pay employees to work on Sundays than it is worth.
    9) Corporate comes down and stays about an hour. They need to come mid afternoon on a Monday and get in there. It's not all sunshine and rainbows.
    10) Phone rings off the hook with more time consuming stuff than necessary.

Advice to Management

Get rid of obsolete conversation calculations.
    Don't cut hours because of unrealistic expectations.
    Open all departments all 7 days or no drop offs/pickups or FSD pickups on the weekends.
    Find a better way to manage frieght that doesn't overwhelm the store and its staff.
    Train everyone on everything.
    Open a central call center that has access to live inventory so that the majority of the calls don't have to wait long periods just to ask if we have item.
    Update older stores.
    Close Sundays

Feb 17, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks so much for your feedback! We have provided the information to retail management and will be addressing the concerns you have brought to us.

3. "Company stuck in the two gender world"

Former Employee - Factory Assembler in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Factory Assembler in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment (Less than a year)

Pros

The people the work the supervisors were all fantastic

Cons

The company's treatment of being transgender was the worst I have ever seen

Advice to Management

This is 2016 get with the program

Jul 5, 2016 – Human Resources

We’re sorry that you feel like you were treated poorly. We work diligently to ensure fair and respectful treatment of all employees through our policies, programs, and development of employees. We ... More

5. "Easy to climb ladder, but it is a short ladder"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As long as you are hard working you can move up very quickly given the right manager

Cons

Small company, limited opportunities in management unless you are willing to relocate
    Company is indecisive in every corporate decision
    Does not invest in up to date technology.

Advice to Management

Managers at all levels need a lot more training
    Corporate partners need accountability

Apr 13, 2016 – Human Resources

We appreciate the time you took to review us on Glassdoor. Our Learning & Development team works hard to provide quality training for all levels at our Retail stores, including a very robust ... More

6. "Technical Support"

Former Contractor - Help Desk Support in Burnsville, MN
    Former Contractor - Help Desk Support in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Gain experience in the field and get my foot in the door of IT.

Cons

I had difficulties with some of the terminology there because I had not heard of the company before and should have done my research.

Advice to Management

Develop a better training program that informs and shows employees how to do the job effectively.

"Solid Company, a Bit of a "Boys' Club""

Former Employee - Retail Store Assistant Manager in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Retail Store Assistant Manager in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product. Good communication with Home Office. Most corporate employees are willing and eager to help, find or locate answers, and listen to outside ideas or solutions.

Cons

Regional and District Management do not represent the company as well as the Corporate employees and officers do. A male-dominated retail culture which does not seek the promotion of women within its culture.

Nov 17, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you very much for your feedback and comments. We strive to make Northern Tool + Equipment a great place to work and we work hard to create and maintain a transparent culture. We also pride ... More

"Very hard to advance"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Saint Peters, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Saint Peters, MO

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    People friendly
    Friendly competition

Cons

Terrible management
    Unorganized
    Bad communication overall

9. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For retail it is easy for a work and family balance. If you are relatively organized this is easy for an experienced manager.

Cons

Can not execute new programs effectively. It is difficult maintaining inventory levels in key areas when new products are introduced.

Advice to Management

Stay on top of day to day processes. Follow up at least twice weekly on low inventory areas.

10. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time

Pros

The company has a good product base, with loyal customers. The company has good benefits.
    Store Closes at 8 pm, never many late nights.

Cons

The amount of payroll in the stores is very limited compared to other retail.

"Good Culture"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Clover, SC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Clover, SC

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance is exceptional for retail. Adequate compensation. You have the opportunity to make a difference for your customers every day.

Cons

Too many corporate distractions. Everyone has an agenda. No way to plan staffing for "truck day". Company is still slowly making its way in retail operations.

Advice to Management

Get back to basics. The initiatives are great but always seem to go way overboard. Allow time for training and personal development. Store personnel is the greatest asset in brick and morter retail.