Northern Tool + Equipment Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 14, 2017

4.0
Chuck Albrecht

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company supports work life balance and gives employees the opportunity to work hard and play hard (in 12 reviews)

• Family owned company, great customers, decent benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, bad mgmt, unreal expectations , back stabbing on all levels (in 6 reviews)

• The hours suck for part time people like myself and can't get a second job because of the schedule "me working every Saturday" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Inventory Control/Quality Assurance Supervisor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At the corporate level, Northern Tool has great benefits, competitive salaries and a fantastic atmosphere.

Cons

It can get a little clicky from time to time.

May 16, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review!

2. "sales"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Bismarck, AR
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Bismarck, AR

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a general rule, the company has great people.

Cons

low pay and sometimes long hours

Advice to Management

Consider a better pay scale for employees that show their worth.

Jan 23, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback!

3. "Great company."

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Representative in Lake Charles, LA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Representative in Lake Charles, LA

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a fast growing company with lots of potential in our area. With the wide range of products, it will be a very good job to have.

Cons

That part time sales associates get paid commission to. I think it would make them strive to sale more products for the company.

Advice to Management

Keep improving the company like they are.

Dec 5, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for the nice review! Lake Charles is one of our newest stores and we're so happy to hear you are having a good experience!

4. "I'm the beginning it seemed like total chaos"

Current Employee - Service Technician in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Service Technician in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Building blocks of being a incredible company to work for. Hard work gets noticed and is recognized. If you do right by the company, the will do right by you.

Cons

Company is growing rapidly and seemed to be lots of management issues and no communication between stores that are struggling in certain departments...Seems the bugs are being worked out and are on the right track now.

Advice to Management

I think workshops would be a great idea for customers and employees to be more familiarized with the product they are selling to the customer...I've noticed a lot of the salespeople can't tell you why one product is better then the other and then when the product doesn't fit there needs and are having issues with it...The first person they point the finger at is the salesman...I think the store technician should once a week during meetings do a small product knowledge presentation for employees and maybe once or twice a month do one for customers.

5. "Great Company - Keep Getting Better!"

Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is family-owned and it shows in all they do for their employees, like the company picnics, holiday activities, etc. These things can only be found in a family-owned company staying true to their Core Values.
    Definite culture of respect and kindness throughout - if you don't value those traits you aren't a good culture fit here.
    Management cares about what the employees think - recent all-company survey has management creating goals for 2017 based on suggestions from employees, which shows they care and want to change to meet the needs of their people.

Cons

Work/life balance is quite good, although flexibility in the workplace (working from home and/or flexible work hours) is sometimes lacking. Some departments are very flexible while others still try to micro-manage even their salaried employees.
    Still a very top-down type culture with executives making some decisions without consulting anyone else - can be short-sighted at times.

Advice to Management

Keep getting better! Northern has a special culture and has the momentum to be outstanding! Don't let old ways of thinking get in the way of that progress.

Nov 7, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We take pride in hearing from our employees and making improvements wherever possible.

6. "Receiver"

Current Employee - Receiver in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Receiver in Arlington, TX

Pros

Employees help each other
    3 three breaks good shifts

Cons

When it get slow its kinda boring

Oct 24, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate the feedback!

"Corporate Office"

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time

Pros

For the most part everyone at corporate is very nice and helpful. There is still a feeling of a family owned company.

Cons

Northern seems to be going through some growing pains both with processes and/or procedures and corporate culture. Not a bad problem to have but just some upcoming changes that impacts everything we do.

Advice to Management

Years of service doesn't automatically make a productive, contributing employee. While it is awesome to see longevity, titles don't necessarily correspond.

Oct 10, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We will share your feedback with our management team!

8. "Order puller, Shipping, and Recieving Clerk"

Current Employee - Outbound Order Picker and Back Up Clerk in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Outbound Order Picker and Back Up Clerk in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work for.

Cons

Hard to advance within the company.

Advice to Management

Give associates within the company a chance to advance within the company for as lead and supervisor positions.

9. "Cashire"

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Co worked dont work together

Oct 10, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write your review! We are happy you enjoyed working at Northern!

"Great Retail job, but typical pay and no advancement options"

Current Employee - Sales Person in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Person in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment (Less than a year)

Pros

This retail sales job is a bit friendlier than most, not the frenetic psycho environment of a Home Depot or Wal-Mart or Target. Like any business, it's the people who run the place that matter, and in my store, we have a good core team of management that respects the job the employees are tasked to do. Store management goes out of their way to help make sure that you can do your job to the company's satisfaction. Managers usually makes sure that there are enough employees around to cover the anticipated store traffic. Manager and especially the Assistant Managers are always 'hands on' for store traffic and problems. No yelling, screaming or dressing down us lower eschelon folks.

Cons

I feel that the experience at my store is a bit unique, due to the churn in management before I arrived. However, I understand that this is kinda corporate dogma in a business like this. I think that it's size and growth have a lot to do with the tolerance level, and will expect total retail chaos when the company grows bigger and goes public.

Advice to Management

To corporate HQ: For God's sake, get your retail system in order- the way you refill merchandise that we sell is a joke- sell one bag of Oil Dri, they send us 2 pallets! We've got a warehouse full of crap that we couldn't sell down in a million years. Tie-in store sales in real time to the re-order system, and allow the stores to input adjustments on an on-going basis.
    Oh yeah, if you pay your workers more, you'll attract a better class of folks who will stick around and not do the retail job hop. Look at Costco- you can easily be in that class...

Feb 2, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to review us! We are glad to hear that you are happy with the work environment in your store. We pride ourselves on being a family-owned and operated business and... More