Northern Tool + Equipment Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chuck Albrecht

Pros
  • The company supports work life balance and gives employees the opportunity to work hard and play hard (in 12 reviews)

• The company is family-owned and it shows in all they do for their employees, like the company picnics, holiday activities, etc (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, bad mgmt, unreal expectations , back stabbing on all levels (in 5 reviews)

• They only cons that I can think of are, it is unreliable hours if you are part time (which is any (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Corpus Christi, TX

Pros

The pay is pretty good, far better and more than many other companies. The employees are cool pretty damn cool

Cons

You must know a lot about hand tools, trailers, garden tools, generators, compressors, some about clothing, using a cash register is a plus

Advice to Management

None

Northern Tool + Equipment Response

Dec 12, 2016 – Human Resources

Thanks so much for you review! We love hearing from our retail stores and are so glad you are happy!

"Great family friendly company who offers flexibility and work life balance."

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Burnsville, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Burnsville, MN

Pros

Family friendly company who offers a lot of flexibility and work life balance. Managers empower employees to do best work. Very fun work environment. Core values are: Know Your Customer, Provide Value, Act With Integrity, Empower the Individual, Be Entrepreneurial, Have Fun. The company definitely lives by these values. The Kotula family is amazing!

Cons

Smaller company (400 employees at corp HQ) so not a lot of options for moving up the corporate ladder quickly, however you definitely are able to grow in your positon and take on more responsibility.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! One thing I have noticed is that I don't think all department heads live by the core values as much as others and certain areas might be a bit more rigid than others. I absolutely love my department, management team, etc. and hope that others have as great of a mangement team as my group.

3. "I have Truly enjoyed working here at Northern Tool"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benifits , Great Hours, Great People

Cons

Systems are kinda of out dated but they are working on changing that

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, fun work culture. Executive team is very friendly and down-to-earth. Good pay and benefits. Work life balance. Excellent training programs available.

Cons

Smaller organization so not a lot of room for upward advancement, but a lot of opportunity available to grow your position outward.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, you treat your employees well and make us feel valued.

6. "Family Company with great management"

Current Employee - Cashier in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is great and everyone at my store is a big family. Hours they are open are wonderful too...not too late or too early!

Cons

Can't get benefits as a part time employee and stores are so small that if someone is sick or fired....you end up working for them.

7. "Northern Tool loves it's managers"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Takes great care of management on all levels. Great perks, wonderful benefits and they are instated quickly.

Cons

Inventory receiving program could be a lot more tight.

Advice to Management

Store level management - focus on working ON your business more than IN your business. Delegate your work and show much appreciation for all of your employees.

8. "Great culture, great core values"

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Northern Tool is growing fast but still maintains a small company culture where you feel like an asset, not a corporate cog. Management sets high expectations and gives you the tools to achieve them. This company has a great work/life balance and puts a priority on family. Northern Tool lists 6 "Core Values" as its foundation. One of these core values is to HAVE FUN! We are given opportunities to have fun and encouraged to do so. What more can I say?

Cons

I can't think of any cons

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

9. "Part time/FT"

Former Employee - Product Placement in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Product Placement in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Company to work for.
    Flexible with school and military service.
    Good starting pay compared to other small retail jobs in the area.

Cons

Not the Job for a lazy person.

10. "Great Company"

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Very family friendly

Cons

Sometimes gets in to do more with less

11. "Great Place to Work and Grow!"

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Northern Tool + Equipment is a wonderful place to work, and it is truly a great place to work and grow as both an individual and as a team member. I love working here, and believe it is an invaluable life experience for me. My management is fantastic, my coworkers are great, I could not have asked for a better experience. They are really good at working around my college schedule, and always try to put me first. I get paid well.

Cons

They only cons that I can think of are, it is unreliable hours if you are part time (which is any part time job, usually), and if you wish to transition to full time, that can be a difficult process. Also, I do not receive benefits, or any vacation/sick time at all (which is to be expected out of a part time position).

Advice to Management

I firmly believe in my core that this is a wonderful place to work. I have worked in several different locations in my region, and the experience truly depends on who is working there with you. I do wish that procedure would remain the same throughout different locations, but everyone does things their own way.