Northern Tool + Equipment Reviews | Glassdoor

Northern Tool + Equipment Reviews

Updated January 30, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • The company supports work life balance and gives employees the opportunity to work hard and play hard (in 12 reviews)

• The company is family-owned and it shows in all they do for their employees, like the company picnics, holiday activities, etc (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, bad mgmt, unreal expectations , back stabbing on all levels (in 5 reviews)

• They only cons that I can think of are, it is unreliable hours if you are part time (which is any (in 5 reviews)

"Does not seem to care about employees"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pequot Lakes, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pequot Lakes, MN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many different ways to do your job. Often used to fulfill many duties. After training, the work is fairly simple. Easy goals to achieve.

Cons

I've been at Northern for several years and am used in every way possible. I am even in a position where I take escalated calls from customers and I help train new hires. While I have been at Northern longer than most of my fellow employees, I get paid less than the people I am training or helping. There is no incentive to cross train into other duties because the company uses you more and more but keeps you at the same pay. There is no gratitude or compensation for the amount of duties you fulfill.

Advice to Management

Try to keep your good employees. Why would you be paying new hires a higher wage then some of your most valuable employees? Wouldn't you want to keep your valued employees as well as your new hires? When giving out more responsibilities, give an incentive to do those duties or no employee is going to want to do them. Why would anyone want to take escalated calls or do other departments dirty work when they aren't going to be compensated for doing so? You may want to re-evaluate how you treat your tenured reps cause they may not want to stay.

Sep 7, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for your feedback. We value our long-term employees and will communicate your concerns to Human Resources, as well as to Management. If you have any additional items you’d like to ... More

"Management"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Garland, TX

Pros

Close early, discount, not much

Cons

Low pay, bad mgmt, unreal expectations , back stabbing on all levels.

Advice to Management

Hire better mgmt, pay better

Oct 10, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We will share your feedback with our management team.

3. "Not Your Average Retail Job."

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Inclusive benefits (vacation, insurance packages, 401k, etc), friendly environment, many training opportunities for management, flexible schedule, annual pay increase

Cons

Few opportunities for valuable direct or personal communication with corporate office (lots of familiar names on lists, but no real connection), small company mentality with some big company problems

Advice to Management

Slow down! You have stores growing all over the country - support their growth even more than you already do for awhile and things may improve. Trust your retail management teams with the resources they need to make the stores great - you've hired great people, so trust them to go out into the community and represent the company doing fairs and shows, donating to relevant causes, and rewarding their own staff for a job well done.

"Corporate Office"

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time

Pros

For the most part everyone at corporate is very nice and helpful. There is still a feeling of a family owned company.

Cons

Northern seems to be going through some growing pains both with processes and/or procedures and corporate culture. Not a bad problem to have but just some upcoming changes that impacts everything we do.

Advice to Management

Years of service doesn't automatically make a productive, contributing employee. While it is awesome to see longevity, titles don't necessarily correspond.

Oct 10, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We will share your feedback with our management team!

6. "Company stuck in the two gender world"

Former Employee - Factory Assembler in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Factory Assembler in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment (Less than a year)

Pros

The people the work the supervisors were all fantastic

Cons

The company's treatment of being transgender was the worst I have ever seen

Advice to Management

This is 2016 get with the program

Jul 5, 2016 – Human Resources

We’re sorry that you feel like you were treated poorly. We work diligently to ensure fair and respectful treatment of all employees through our policies, programs, and development of employees. We ... More

7. "Order puller, Shipping, and Recieving Clerk"

Current Employee - Outbound Order Picker and Back Up Clerk in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Outbound Order Picker and Back Up Clerk in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work for.

Cons

Hard to advance within the company.

Advice to Management

Give associates within the company a chance to advance within the company for as lead and supervisor positions.

"Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It started off as a good company and was relevant to my interests. Good work environment and fabulous co-workers. Sometimes they bring in food which is a plus.

Cons

I have received pa cut after pay cut over the years. They have no respect for long term employees and eventually try an get them to quit by making their job terrible. I have six weeks of vacation time that I am never allowed to use and continue to roll over and be unusable. My co-worker even had to beg for a day off in order to attend her mother's funeral. This company is not one to stay with!!

Jul 18, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We always like hearing from long-term employees, as we appreciate the long tenure of our teams. There are some concerns you’ve raised that we would like to speak to, one ... More

9. "Good Company"

Current Employee - ASM
    Current Employee - ASM

Pros

Family owned, good benefits, PTO, bonuses, commission, culture, upper management

Cons

Training, IT issues, Things constantly missing in packages, Giving stores way too much inventory

Advice to Management

Considering there are over 90 stores, things should be functioning at a higher level. Corporate is basically not available after 5PM or on weekends. Warehouse sends stores wayyyy too much inventory. Every day there are IT issues to deal with, usually the same problem over and over.

"A truly, great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Northern is one of the few great, family-owned companies. Despite growing significantly, it has retained its family feel and holds true to its values. I've had the opportunity to work with fantastic coworkers that are smart, forward thinking, but at the same time are down to earth. This is a rare combination to find in any organization. It's also rare to find an organization who truly values its people as demonstrated through fun employee events, charitable giving campaigns, valuing employee input, employee development, and a strong emphasis on work-life balance.

Cons

As a growing company, communication between departments can be a challenge. Leadership seems to recognize this and has made improvements to communicate more frequently and to narrow the gap between corporate and field locations.

Advice to Management

Nurture and protect the Northern culture no matter how large the company becomes. It is truly special and one that I've not found anywhere else. Continue to invest in developing and growing your employees.

Apr 4, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you very much for the kind words. We are extremely happy everything is going well for you here at Northern. It is important to us that everyone has a great environment to thrive! We strive to ... More

11. "Easy to climb ladder, but it is a short ladder"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As long as you are hard working you can move up very quickly given the right manager

Cons

Small company, limited opportunities in management unless you are willing to relocate
    Company is indecisive in every corporate decision
    Does not invest in up to date technology.

Advice to Management

Managers at all levels need a lot more training
    Corporate partners need accountability

Apr 13, 2016 – Human Resources

We appreciate the time you took to review us on Glassdoor. Our Learning & Development team works hard to provide quality training for all levels at our Retail stores, including a very robust ... More