Northern Tool + Equipment Reviews | Glassdoor

Northern Tool + Equipment Reviews

Updated September 8, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company supports work life balance and gives employees the opportunity to work hard and play hard (in 12 reviews)

• Family owned company, great customers, decent benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, no commission, zero opportunity for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• The hours suck for part time people like myself and can't get a second job because of the schedule "me working every Saturday" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Help the customers find merchandize they are looking for and ring the customers up in a friendly manner."

Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible,commission (sometimes) and the pay is okay. Great people to work with and enjoying meeting different people each day.

Cons

The hours suck for part time people like myself and can't get a second job because of the schedule "me working every Saturday". Some of the co workers steal your sales and some co workers show favoritism toward certain employees when it comes the sales.

Advice to Management

Cut the rudeness and have all the employees do their job instead of half doing it.

2. "Our Grass is Pretty Green"

Current Employee - Director in Burnsville, MS
    Current Employee - Director in Burnsville, MS

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Nothing worth putting in writing

May 8, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review. So glad you are happy here at Northern! We love to hear from our long-term employees.

3. "Northern Tool and Equpment"

Pros

Flexible Life/Work Balance, Good managers, ample vacation

Cons

Lower than average compensation, Limited room for advancement

May 8, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review.

4. "Great family owned company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great to work with.

Cons

No onsite diner so lunch options are not plentiful.

Advice to Management

offer free coffee

Apr 4, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your kind words! We have recently implemented Foodsby, which is a delivery service offering multiple restaurant options per day, at our Corporate facility. Our employees are enjoying... More

5. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Gastonia, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Gastonia, NC

Pros

It is a large company with the feel of a small family business, management gives their employees a job to do and the authority to do it. Part time employees can get a reduced version of health insurance if they work at least 30 hours per week

Cons

It seems they are always short handed and each employee is regularly expected to do the job of 2 or 3 employees without complaint. Breaks are frequently not given because there is only one cashier and nobody to spell them. If a second cashier is there at same time, they are put to work putting up stock.....

Advice to Management

Allow 2nd cashier on premises to spell primary cashier for breaks as needed, cashier's are held accountable for their drawers balancing at end of shift, even though other people are allowed to use said drawers

May 8, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We have shared your concerns regarding staffing with management.

6. "sales"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Bismarck, AR
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Bismarck, AR

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a general rule, the company has great people.

Cons

low pay and sometimes long hours

Advice to Management

Consider a better pay scale for employees that show their worth.

Jan 23, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback!

7. "Retail shouldn't be this stressful."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) The people are great
    2) One can make good contacts
    3) Discounts on tools
    4) Make good money if you put in the work
    5) They work with your schedule
    6) Management is helpful and professional

Cons

1) The conversion rate is controlled by an obsolete, inefficient, inaccurate, and useless piece of software that has entirely too much affect on the daily operations of the store.
    2) Because of the fracking boom 2 years ago the stores struggle to maintain realistic numbers now that the industry is in the toilet.
    3) Warehouse operation is inefficient. Store is always behind in freight and the salespeople are forsed to focus on freight, not making $$$ for themselves or the store.
    4) Store honors online pricing. The idea is to get customers to GO TO a website and shop. They don't have to when they can go to the store and have the salesperson find it, the cashier bag it, someone load it, and still get $$ off....NO BRAINER... $$$ HEMORRHAGE.
    5) No military discount
    6) Parts and Service/ Warehouse are closed on weekends but their departments don't close, leaving sales to do that too.
    7) Air conditioning is controlled remotely. In South Texas the thermostat should not be controlled as it were in Minnesota.
    8) It costs more to pay employees to work on Sundays than it is worth.
    9) Corporate comes down and stays about an hour. They need to come mid afternoon on a Monday and get in there. It's not all sunshine and rainbows.
    10) Phone rings off the hook with more time consuming stuff than necessary.

Advice to Management

Get rid of obsolete conversation calculations.
    Don't cut hours because of unrealistic expectations.
    Open all departments all 7 days or no drop offs/pickups or FSD pickups on the weekends.
    Find a better way to manage frieght that doesn't overwhelm the store and its staff.
    Train everyone on everything.
    Open a central call center that has access to live inventory so that the majority of the calls don't have to wait long periods just to ask if we have item.
    Update older stores.
    Close Sundays

Feb 17, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks so much for your feedback! We have provided the information to retail management and will be addressing the concerns you have brought to us.

8. "Great company."

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Representative in Lake Charles, LA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Representative in Lake Charles, LA

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a fast growing company with lots of potential in our area. With the wide range of products, it will be a very good job to have.

Cons

That part time sales associates get paid commission to. I think it would make them strive to sale more products for the company.

Advice to Management

Keep improving the company like they are.

Dec 5, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for the nice review! Lake Charles is one of our newest stores and we're so happy to hear you are having a good experience!

9. "I'm the beginning it seemed like total chaos"

Current Employee - Service Technician in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Service Technician in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Building blocks of being a incredible company to work for. Hard work gets noticed and is recognized. If you do right by the company, the will do right by you.

Cons

Company is growing rapidly and seemed to be lots of management issues and no communication between stores that are struggling in certain departments...Seems the bugs are being worked out and are on the right track now.

Advice to Management

I think workshops would be a great idea for customers and employees to be more familiarized with the product they are selling to the customer...I've noticed a lot of the salespeople can't tell you why one product is better then the other and then when the product doesn't fit there needs and are having issues with it...The first person they point the finger at is the salesman...I think the store technician should once a week during meetings do a small product knowledge presentation for employees and maybe once or twice a month do one for customers.

10. "An inspiring place to work"

Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Burnsville, MN
    Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Burnsville, MN

Pros

NTE is a company that operates with integrity. The company's efforts to provide customers with high-quality products at competitive prices is admirable and inspiring. Likewise, management's efforts to ensure employees find the company a positive, fair and fun place to work is admirable. Many employees have expressed that they find it the best atmosphere they've encountered in a corporate setting.

Cons

None that are worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

Maintain the serious focus on keeping customers happy and expanding product choices to grow with customers' needs. Also, keep up all the actions that reflect the company's expressed core values. They provide a beacon to all employees regarding priorities.

Nov 28, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your experience.