Northern Virginia Community College Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
Cons
  • No opportunity for full-time work (in 13 reviews)

• Low pay, no benefits -- that goes without saying for adjuncts (in 8 reviews)

1. "Work-study"

I worked at Northern Virginia Community College part-time

Pros

Schedule is flexible with class hours, pay is good.

Cons

20 hours is the max you can work being a work-study.

2. "adjunct"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Northern Virginia Community College part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, academic freedom, friendly atmosphere

Cons

below-market pay, no benefits, policies from top management that make no sense and penalize part-timers, no opportunity for advancement

Advice to Management

Stop abusing adjuncts.

3. "Faculty"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Northern Virginia Community College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Conveniently located near DC, MD, and VA.

Cons

Hiring Freeze, no annual raises.

Advice to Management

End hiring freeze.

5. "Trainor"

I worked at Northern Virginia Community College part-time

Pros

means to an end type of job

Cons

the management is bad and no where to ask questions

6. "A good place to work"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Annandale, VA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Annandale, VA

I have been working at Northern Virginia Community College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ease of work, friendly coworkers, respected institution, time off, benefits

Cons

Bureaucratic, campus locations, difficult to advance in your career

Advice to Management

Actively mentor staff and groom them for more senior positions.

7. "instructor"

I worked at Northern Virginia Community College part-time

Pros

really great place to work

Cons

tight budgets due to politics

8. "Student Advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annandale, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annandale, VA

I worked at Northern Virginia Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues
    Nice offices
    Interesting students with a variety of backgrounds, needs, and concerns -- kept work interesting.

Cons

Heavy student load and so limited amount of time could be spent with each appointment.
    Little to no follow-up with students given the nature of the "walk-in" appointments and heavy load.

9. "Adjunct employment"

Former Employee - Adjuct Instructor
    Former Employee - Adjuct Instructor

I worked at Northern Virginia Community College part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Some flexibility in work hours taught
    - Able to ask to teach classes on days preferred
    - Interesting students
    - Department staff is great

Cons

- Full time instructors can bump part-time out of classes
    - At will work place
    - Do not expect to be hired full time - no chance of ever moving up
    - College is exceptionally political and crony filled
    - Assistant deans hold all power

- HR is very poorly run

Advice to Management

- The new president needs to clean house and get rid of many at the VP level.
    - Assistant deans need more oversight
    - Stop discrimination on the basis of race, age, and disability

"Come for the Medicore State Benefits Stay for the Mental Breakdown"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor

I have been working at Northern Virginia Community College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This section is tough.. Let me come back to it. I must have stayed here this long for some reason>>> I love our students. God bless them they really do try and succeed when they put earnest effort into whatever they are pursing they achieve. When you've helped them get to their goal it feels amazing. Just really a fantastic feeling being a part of a person's story in that way.

Cons

Since working here, (going on 13 years) I have witnessed 5 different individuals have total mental breakdowns. This doesn't include the folks you see and hear quietly sobbing in their offices during lunch breaks. The darkened windows can't muffle the sounds of their crying.

The scene is reminiscent of the little mermaid where the evil sea queen Ursula has the captured souls. It is not all that different here.

The reason you ask? How can one of the largest community colleges in the world that is host to some cutting edge technology and located in a major metropolitan area fail so hard? Well let me illuminate the possibilities!

1) the college is slaved to the VCCS ( Virginia Community College System) AND the state of Virginia. On the surface this means we have the support of the state in the form of dollars and shared resources YAY! However we also split off revenue to support other VCCS schools AND are unable to make independent decisions.

The kind that would allow the college to say provide staff with merit based salary incentives or bonuses. Instead we have to wait for state approved increases to salaries and budgets.

In reality this means that for every year you work at NOVA you're REAL salary goes down when adjusted for inflation. So while your $50,000 salary seems OK, after a few years it is actually $47,000 or lower.

ADD to it that new hires are normally brought in at a significantly higher wage than current employees and you start to see the issue. Moral suffers and work slumps. Those that are motivated to keep at it will do so, but over time they slack and the work falls on those left.

Currently NOVA enjoys a staff hiring/salary freeze for most positions and departments. This does not extend to the higher ups of course.

2) Management is unable to encourage employees in meaningful ways:

Great you went above and beyond and saved your department $10,000 this year through some cost savings method you discovered! O what not even a thank you?

Increased enrollment through some innovative outreach campaign? Nada

Did the bare minimum required for your job?! Great here yours one-time bonus that EVERYONE got. regardless of actual contribution or effort.

You see when you can't motivate your employees to do better and allow them to reap some reward either monetary or otherwise you disincentives folks from continuing to do better.

There is something fiendish about a person ( president Scot Ralls) who says , "you didn't get into this for the money [insert Carolina drawl]" when he's making 549% above the median salary. Now to be fair, as executive compensation for a similarly sized organization goes, his is low. Still, how dare he say such an incentive thing to a group of people some of which struggle to pay bills and feed their families.

3) If you can't raise wages at least allow more people to work alternative schedules or perhaps even from home. The red tape and groveling you have to go through for a lousy teleworker agreement is near impossible in some divisions, while others they hand them out like candy.

News Flash, you don't have to be physically at your work place to do your job in this modern era. There are extremely low cost tools that the college already has that allows more and more people to do so. I shouldn't need a medical reason to work form home once or twice a week.

4) Dwindling budgets means different departments dumping on one another. The worst is dealing with an overstaffed department dumping work on your understaffed department. This is made worse by the gray zone

5) Budgets: Budgets would be less of an issue if managers were not encouraged to actually only spend money they absolutely needed to. Incentives matter.
    Example: I have $1M dollars in my budget but really I only need half that. So I increase the purchase of detritus to make up the gap. Next year I'll just surplus the excess at an extreme loss. the outcome? the manager gets to retain their bloated $1M budget. This goes on and on and on for years until some audit maybe determines that they spent a little to much.

Not saying it all needed to go to staff, but some of it could have been used to fund merit based salary increases.

6) HR is a joke. It is telling that the few staff who do get salary increases every year tend to work in HR, administration or the Finance/comptrollers office to a casual observer it would appear as if maleficent forces are at play.

Advice to Management

Read the con section

11. "Tutor"

Former Employee - Tutor in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Sterling, VA

I worked at Northern Virginia Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, allowed me to contact students however I wanted. It was also relatively easy to get hired. You just needed to have a B on a class.

Cons

It was hard to find tutees for certain subjects. Many of the classes at NOVA weren't an issue for most students so it was hard to find consistent work.