Northland Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 4 reviews

Zed Runyan
  1. "Warehouse"

I worked at Northland Services

Pros

The benefits were good, and the people that work there are great - everyone likes to have a good time but still work hard and get the job done.

Cons

The pay scale between different departments is massively skewed. For example, the breakbulk area typically made 5-10 dollars more than the average warehouseman.

Northland Services2015-07-30
    • "Ignorant old men!"

I worked at Northland Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You could not do your job and still get rewarded. The overall management team didn't even know their own jobs, let alone yours, so any lame excuse for why you might not have gotten something done would ALWAYS suffice. I had the opportunity of working for the WORST company ever developed, so spotting poor companies/corporate structures are simple now!

Cons

The management at this company wouldn't be qualified to be leaders at a local fast food joint! The former CFO was forced go to anger management classes to avoid a lawsuit, and was then busted for making sexist comments to the women at work too. He then walked away from the company with $3,000,000. Their current CEO, Larry S. is the worst narcissist I've ever come across. He literally steals others ideas, and even...

Advice to Management

The ones with brains, skills, and guts should leave. However, my guess is they'll cite my first sentence under the "Pros" section as the reason they stay. Do something brave and go to work for Samson.

Northland Services2014-05-21
    • "Enlightening Marine Transportation experience."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Northland Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits. Treat employees very well. Annual performance bonuses along with excellent 401K matching program. Good health & medical benefits provided.

Cons

Lack of opportunities provided or available. Lack of upward mobility as promised at time of being interviewed & getting hired. Good people will eventually move on to better opportunities elsewhere due to top heavy upper management / sales people.

Advice to Management

Lots of dead weight in upper management eating away at potential raises that those who deserve it will never see. Lots of mergers/company acquisitions attributed to this problem.

Northland Services2012-10-12
    • "Good first job with great work/life balance"

Former Employee - Receiving Clerk in Seattle, WA

I worked at Northland Services

Pros

Traditional 9-5 (or 6-3 in my case) Great coworkers (even the surly old men once they get to know you) Casual workplace - attire and attitude (Terminal, not corporate office) Awesome benefits Fast paced in the summer, a lot of downtime in the winter Windows (it sounds funny but you miss them when you don't have them)

Cons

Raises are non-existent and when they are given out, they were the verge of insulting Nepotism is rampant Value time at the company more than experience or ability at the job No interest in developing talent or fitting people to strengths Very old school company with little interest in modernizing A lot of finger-pointing and CYA mentality Office is pretty depressing

Advice to Management

Figure out what your employees actually do on a daily basis. Be open and honest with everyone. Avoid making empty promises. Follow through with decisions.

Northland Services2011-03-30