Northrop Grumman Reviews in Linthicum, MD | Glassdoor

Updated March 31, 2017

Linthicum, MD

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • 9/80 Schedule is something that helps maintain some life balance (in 255 reviews)

• Great work life balance and benefits (in 248 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance is my priority (in 57 reviews)

• Tone-deaf upper management thinks that continuous surveys on employee satisfaction will improve satisfaction (in 102 reviews)

"Good Work and People"

Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Linthicum, MD
    Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Linthicum, MD

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Northrop Grumman has a variety of contracts to support and they try to match people with good opportunities, They do good job of building a sense of community despite their size. They make continued learning a priority with plenty of internal and external options.

Cons

The main downsides come from the nature of the customers they support. Contracts and organization change which can be challenging. When I left, they had begun a reorganization which I would imagine has improved things.

2. "Northrop Grumman - Mission Systems [Internship]"

Current Intern - Advanced Computing Engineering in Linthicum, MD
    Current Intern - Advanced Computing Engineering in Linthicum, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the work, the environment, the people. Very diverse, very social. I would love to work here full time! PDP positions are great!

Cons

Very large company, getting the work you want can be a bit hard, mainly for interns.

Advice to Management

Better communication to interns on what exactly they'll be working on.

"Pathetic Dishonesty"

Current Employee - Systems Architect in Linthicum, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Architect in Linthicum, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

Pretty good technical learning experience if in good group! IF in good group!

Cons

Northrop Grumman is a pathetically dishonest company!

In the sector / division I worked for most of the people in low level management or project leadership roles are the children of executives. These so called manager and so called leaders are extremely inept and have learned very passive aggressive techniques to hurt people. If you are an experienced individual and go there be forewarned that when you leave the management will see to it you never work again in the DoD or government sector.

Especially stay away from the “Systems Integration” groups.

1) The security officers will contact every employer you got to after leaving the company and will slander you and falsify your JPAS / OPM jacket as to prevent you from working for some time.
    2) They will communicate your salary to companies and keep you from any increase in pay upon leaving. They flat out abuse the clearance system to control salaries.
    3) You will always have multiple tasks and each week they will change the priorities. They get more work out of you as you will believe your working hard will impact your salary and career. It will not!
    4) Groups will hire experienced individuals and use them to do all the work then will “mob” them until they are gone and then take credit for their work.
    5) These socalled “leaders” will slander you within the organization so you cannot transfer.
    6) The HR will give you a bunch of lies on day one stating that if you have an issue with a manager come to them. The HR works with the management to hurt employees if they “make them look bad”, ie., get them caught.
    7) Management uses “Need of Business” to force you to stay in their group. That is you cannot get away from bad managers.
    8) Since you cannot leave the group then there is no reason for pay increases.
    9) Since you did not get pay increase at Northrop they will see to it you do not get one after you leave the company also.

Be very careful before you hire in with Northrop Grumman! Most of the people in management are there because of nepotism reasons! Many employees have little if any real skills but use passive aggressive techniques to abuse others to survive.

There are some sharp people at the top doing Engineering but the really bad managers will never let you work with them. They will control whom you work for as to control your ratings, reviews, and salaries.

Do not take my work for it! Read “A Just Cause” by James Hohlweitzer.

Make sure you really read the reviews on Indeed and Glassdoor. Be careful I is as though they payed someone to write good ones!

There is a pattern in the real ones.
    1) Management at low level is terrible.
    2) If your really lucky to be in a good group the company is okay.
    3) Management constantly cutting benefits.
    4) Dishonesty and Nepotism in all management.
    5) Career growth only to children of executives.

Advice to Management

Executive management should cut all the lower level managers! Quit allowing kids of executives to be fast tracked. Quit allowing management to sneak behind employees that are trying to do the right thing. You have a lot of dishonestly in your company. Someone goes to HR just to transfer out of a bad group they have their career ruined at Northrop and for ten years after leaving.

4. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Linthicum, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Linthicum, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people, good managers, good work.

Cons

Salary can be a bit low in some areas and highly dependent on level of education.

Advice to Management

Good management, but be more upfront with the problems you're having with your employees or counsel them on how to make their salaries increase.

"So far I have enjoyed working here."

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Linthicum, MD
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Linthicum, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very big manufacturing plant with lots opportunities in one location. Convenient location, close to city. Flexible schedule is added bonus. 9/80 schedule.

Cons

Benefits could use some improvements. No bonuses or rewards. Sick leave was rolled into PTO. Not many opportunities for promotions, only 6 levels.

Advice to Management

More reward/recognition and opportunities for travel and growth

Oct 14, 2016 – Talent Community Manager

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a review. When it comes to bonuses, the vast majority of Northrop Grumman employees are solid, productive contributors, but the reality is that not everyone at the ... More

6. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Material Control Specialist in Linthicum, MD
    Current Employee - Material Control Specialist in Linthicum, MD

Pros

Union job
    nice environment
    friendly staff

Cons

healthcare becoming expensive
    PTO accrual system could use some work

"Financial Planning Analyst"

Current Employee - Financial Planning Analyst in Linthicum, MD
    Current Employee - Financial Planning Analyst in Linthicum, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman (More than 5 years)

Pros

9/80 work schedule
    Education Assistance Program

Cons

no career growth
    salary does not grow
    no work life balance
    stressful micro mangers

Advice to Management

Provide more ways for professionals to progress career wise in lateral promotions

Oct 3, 2016 – Talent Community Manager

Thanks for leaving a review. When it comes to advancing in your career, it's important that you speak with your manager to talk about your future plans and how you can take steps toward that goal. If ... More

8. "Technical Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Linthicum, MD
    Former Intern - Intern in Linthicum, MD

I worked at Northrop Grumman as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

NG does a great job connecting interns, helping you find and afford temporary housing, connecting you with higher ups in the company, putting on lunch events, etc.

Cons

I didn't like the work environment, most people clock out right at 5 and are not all that invested in their projects. I was working in electronic systems and I have hear this is not the case in other areas.

Advice to Management

Make sure that the manager actually wants and intern and has interesting projects the intern can take on during the sumer.

9. "Semiconductor Process Engineer"

Current Employee - Semiconductor Procedss Engineer in Linthicum, MD
    Current Employee - Semiconductor Procedss Engineer in Linthicum, MD

Pros

The corporation is state of the art. The benefit packet and treatment of employees is excellent.

Cons

There is more opportunities in the East Coast than in the West Coast.

Advice to Management

Facilitate upward mobility for entry level and mid level employees to enter into Management level for a higher retention.

10. "Northrop Grumman, Electronic Systems, Manufacturing Internship"

Former Employee - Intern in Linthicum, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Linthicum, MD

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay for a young intern with little previous experience.
    Very helpful and enthusiastic hiring manager and department supervisor.
    Working hours were reasonably flexible.

Cons

A lot of the work was quite cumbersome and didn't offer a valuable career experience.

Advice to Management

I don't really have any advice. I expected a lot of my work to be tedious grunt work. Some employees in my department, and my supervisor, made a great effort to keep me engaged in the real technical work that was happening in that department, and I appreciate that.

Mar 29, 2016 – Talent Community Manager

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a review. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your internship!

Showing 38 of 3,628 reviews