Northrop Grumman Reviews

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush
Wesley G. Bush
1,024 Ratings

Pros
  • 9/80 schedule allows for a good work life balance (in 190 reviews)

• The 9-80 schedule is also very nice (in 187 reviews)

2,490 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

"A Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Program Manager III
    Former Employee - Program Manager III

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Highly Competitive Benefits program Strategic Focus with Great Alignment to Corporate Mission and Vision Commitment to outreach programs and local organizational communities

Cons

Talent Management Program is somewhat limited for mid-career personnel. Model tends to let many leading technical professionals slip away. Frequent corporate to division to departmental realignments limit momentum for high-performer personnel and top performing departments and divisions.

Advice to Management

Designate career development plan for all stages of personnel development (college/entry, Mid career, and Sr./executives) and align corporate resources for each demographic.

Northrop Grumman Response

Nov 25, 2015 – Talent Community Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We're glad that you had a positive experience with us. For current employees who may be reading this, the Northrop Grumman Development ... More

"Great Place To Work, But Don't Get Too Comfortable"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Very Stable - Usually Predictable - If you are smart and trusted, you can choose methods of solving problems - Generally, no one bothers you as long as you get your work done. I show up around 9 or 9:30 and sometimes even later. I get my work done and everyone likes me. Cool :)

Cons

- Like any job, if you have a bad manager, life will suck. Moving around within the company is doable if you make friends and seek out job reqs. I had to quit my old manager and find a new one about 3 years into the company. -- The company as a whole will not save you if your manager is a jerk. You just need to find a new one. - Company is trying, but not keeping up with modern benefits such as free food, laundry, day care, etc. -- They say they want to, but claim they'd rather funnel more money into internal R&D. Such is life. - IT runs your life in the computer world. I feel like I am breaking rules when I try to run the latest version of Java, FireFox or Notepad++. This company is hyper, hyper paranoid about cyber security. I don't blame them, but I think there could be better options that don't impede actual Engineers doing technical, computer intensive work. - After being with the company about 6 years, my salary only went up about 25% total. I got fed up and entertained offers from other companies where I fairly easily got a 40% bump offer. Within a week my manager matched -- though I suspect my current salary is nominal. Great experience, but I do wish I didn't have to go through that song-and-dance and Northrop gave raises each year.

Advice to Management

Please keep up with modern employee benefits & bonuses! Cost cutting was understandable in 2009 during the recession, but now its time to give back.

"Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good salaries, smart people who are very engaged with their mission.

Cons

Indirect functional management is is transition and not transparent when making management decisions. Recent downturn in defense has created a clumsy organizational structure that seems to be reverting back to leaders keeping staff who are "best connected" (to the boss), although not best at what they do.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and clear with your management vision. The best people are jumping ship.

"Overall postive experience"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting work; flexibility; work independence. Opportunities for advancement for those that stick their necks out.

Cons

Too many levels of management. Some management hiring based on relationships rather than qualifications. Amenities such as meeting rooms are in short supply. Treat all employees the same though needs differ, for example software types might sit next to contract people. Widget mentality.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your annual survey comments.

6. "System Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redondo Beach, CA

Pros

Big company and many interesting projects,

Cons

The interns are not allowed in most of the meetings

7. "Great Career Path"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

Pros

Benefits, flexible schedules, tuition reimbursement

Cons

Yearly raises are not very good

Advice to Management

compensate your employees according to their performance, not what's on paper

8. "Machinist"

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

a good company to work for

Cons

to much over time exspected from you

9. "Professional and Great HR Support"

Pros

Great HR support Employee Benefits Short Term Disability

Cons

Unrealistic Deadlines Not many recognized Holidays

10. "Business Management Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

Hours are very flexible. Every other Friday off and a lot of opportunities to move within the company. Potential to travel to other locations and great pay.

Cons

Defense industry isn't particularly exciting in general. Lulls in between projects can lead to boredom unless you really apply yourself. The opposite may be true as well, once on a project you may find yourself very stressed out and busy.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Managers are very understanding since they've worked their way up. Friendliness goes a long way in keeping a team happy and productive.

"NGC"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager and Business Partner in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman (More than 10 years)

Pros

Northrop has a noble purpose and sense of mission. C4ISR technology that saves lives and makes a difference everyday throughout the world.

Cons

Roller coaster ride with the ups and downs of defense contracts won and lost. Best to have a long legged program to build your career on.

Advice to Management

Listen more than you speak. Provide direction. Communicate, communicate, communicate. Reflect upon your days as a follower and remember the different ways that you told yourself that you would do different the day you became a leader. It's not that hard. Just do it.

Showing 2,490 of 2,639 reviews