Northrop Grumman Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 6, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life balance is my priority (in 59 reviews)

• Too much politics at the upper management level (in 104 reviews)

"Lay offs"

Former Employee - Production Planning & Scheduler I in Avondale, LA
    Former Employee - Production Planning & Scheduler I in Avondale, LA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was a good company until lay offs.

Cons

Buys companies to take only parts they want & sells the rest and then puts people out of work.

"They talk a good game"

Pros

Pros:
    Excellent co workers - some of the people you work with are some of the best in the nation. A pure pleasure to work with.
    Interesting work - Again, some of the most interesting work in the nation.

Cons

Cons:
    Done def management once again. Currently in the few years I have worked there, the upper management has changed approx. 3 times. The lower level management isn't some of the best either. They choose GREAT engineers with zero or no leadership skills and absolutely ZERO training, of course the obvious happens, leadership that tries to only make decisions that they will not get any heat from. All the employees are essentially thrown under the bus.
    The initial salary is okay, the raises are between 2-3%. So far they are starting to cut anybody who higher than average salaries or even average salaries.

Moving packages are just plain dumb. 15k to move to a new place with little. The company they use is, check this out, a subsidiary of Northrop, so they charge a premium to move your stuff to themselves, never mind the company is crap and a half.

PTO.... yea, when the hurricane came, they tried to make the people use their own PTO for the forced plant closure.

What your specialty is may not guarantee you actually doing it. MANY people are doing something totally different that what they are hired to do. They did this with my manager and that person stayed 1 year to the day to finish out the contact and then moved on. So the current procedure is to put you in a department where you have zero skill in, grade you as if you do know. Many older engineers are just leaving.

Advice to Management

Why don't you listen or at least pay attention to your the "anonymous"s yearly reviews you make us take. PS... I have seen people get questioned and pushed out for these reviews.

"Once top of the hill now at bottom looking up!"

Current Employee - IT Support
    Current Employee - IT Support

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good amount of usable leave and there is training if you sign up for it but you pay for it if you leave to soon.

Cons

Challenges are too many to list. Chronism is the hallmark of working on the VITA Program supporting the State of Virginia IT contract. If you work under the nose of the leaders all is good. If you are in the field doing the dirty work then sad for you. Your manager does not visit their team for 6-8 months at a time other than email. If you want to talk you best be good at email. Personal contact is not available apparently. We have record breaking quarters via corporate propaganda but when it comes raise time you get a carbon copy of your peers evaluation and the same raise if any. You get to see the right side of the period as in .0 something. Most are at top of the unknown pay range hmmmm? No one knows their own pay scale? Why is that. Not asking what others salary might be but what is my pay band / scale. sorry cannot show you. Same 10 people keep getting promoted or receive another reorg of positions. People are made managers without competing for the job. Everything is a stretch goal now days. That is a way to work you more and not pay you for it. Can't pay a mortgage with my stretch goals from my management can we.

Advice to Management

Upper level management I think is ok generally because 401 is off the charts so someone is doing something right up there in McLean VA the HQ but locally we just hire more relatives even if by a local contractor to disguise it.

"project manager"

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

salary and benefits are competitive

Cons

immature back biting work culture

Advice to Management

place of groomed professionals in executive positions

"Very Dirty and borderline Illegal"

Former Intern - IT Analyst in Lebanon, VA
    Former Intern - IT Analyst in Lebanon, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Pay for the are is good.

Cons

This happened at the Lebanon VA facility.

During a normal 1-on-1 with my lead, he asked me if there are any concerns of topics I would like to discuss. I told him that for what we do, the lack of security is concerning. They have security through Securitas which came with no formal training, not armed, and mostly young kids (I used to work for this security company in the past).

During our discussion he brought up many hypothetical situations and arguments that ranged from "no one could bring anything larger than a handgun in" to "I would hit a shooter with a laptop". To the handgun argument I told him that someone could easily break-down a rifle and fit it in a laptop bag and put it back together in the bathroom with no one knowing.

After talking about these concerns for a while my lead even told me that HE WAS PLANNING TO BRING A GUN TO WORK and leave it in his car on the property, at this point was quick to point-out that as an employee of NG he was not allowed to do this as it was in breach of policy.

So, after our conversation we wrapped stuff up and I went back to my desk to continue working. About 2 hours later security approached me, walked me out of the building, and took my badge. Later on I was told that I could either resign or get fired. When I asked what the reason was for this happening I was simply told that my lead reported me for our conversation and it was determined that I "knew too much".

I was in the top 3 employees at the facility, was actually the employee of the month for the previous month of May, and never had a verbal or written warning up to that point, never missed work, was 15 mins late 1 time due to tire blowout on the way to work (which was an hour drive one-way).

The only thing I can add is this story is that when myself and another person were hired as interns we were told that we received no holidays or benefits. After 9 months I received an email stating otherwise any due to me following up with someone other than my manager (after bringing the email to her attention and getting aggressively talked to by her) the company had to go back and pay both of us for the holidays we worked during the prior year and the ones worked up to that date.

Favoritism and special treatment are rampant here.

Advice to Management

Management needs to stop being corrupt and trying to retaliate against employees for simply asking questions.

"Hard for External Hires to be Successful"

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The base pay is good

Cons

Leadership lack of trust and respect for external hires

Advice to Management

Respect and Trust external hires will support the mission/vision with new innovative, diverse skills

"Stuck in its old ways"

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

Stability, at least for my division. Not sure about other divisions. The pay is decent. Higher than startups but lower than high tech companies like Google, SpaceX, and etc.

Cons

Lack of innovation, motivation, and convoluted management. Most of the people here are just looking to retire. Technology is at least 10 years behind

Advice to Management

Increase the quality of managers and engineers. Stop hiring based on experience and connections. Modernize the process and the technology.

"Just another big government contracting firm"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seemed to be an organization that cared about employees.

Cons

Truth be told. I worked for NGC three years. All they care about is filling positions for government contracts. They don't really care about quality because they do not care about matching skill sets to contract positions. This applies to project managers as well as low level managers.

And every manager has a different understanding of policy. They do not put the policy in a place where everyone can see it.

Advice to Management

Try to care about the government contract work.

9. "work"

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

good benefits and pay scale

Cons

none to mention at this time

"Subcontracts Administrator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, paid time off, flexible hours

Cons

difficult to move up, poor management

Advice to Management

listen to your employees, back employees up

Showing 176 of 3,728 reviews