Northrop Grumman Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 18, 2018
1,094 reviews

1,094 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible 9/80 Schedule (you never want to go back once you have a Friday off) (in 298 reviews)

• Great work life balance and benefits (in 272 reviews)

"Very Corporate"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get good experience and ability to lead.

Cons

VERY corporate. A lot of bureocracy.

Advice to Management

Need to be more modern to keep young talent.

"Great People but Bureaucratic and Siloed"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent people of high character that are friendly. 9/80 work schedule is accepted by all management. Pay is pretty good. They are trying to get better and value employee feedback.

Cons

Poor collaboration, questionable quality of work, siloed work environment that they blame on need to know. You may sit on overhead for months before getting a halfway decent project. Even then it may only last a month. Being locked in a closed room sucks. Northrop needs less table scrap small contracts and more larger ones to keep people doing steady and interesting work.

Advice to Management

Don't make new hires wait 6 months to start. Have QUALITY work for them on DAY 1.

"Not what I expected, but potential"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel genuinely recognized for my work. When used, the corporate employee recognition system and internal career tools are great, but many managers don't use them. There are opportunities for internal lateral movement if you are unhappy, and the company will move you if it's reasonable (and you're cleared) without penalty. You're surrounded by lots of skilled people from all over the industry, so you can get a lot of perspectives if you're paying attention.

Cons

Don't bother if you don't already have an ACTIVE clearance. I took a borderline insultingly low offer based on the promise of a specific, exciting kind of work. The security clearance process has taken OVER A YEAR, and that's perfectly normal around here. The job I was hired for had to be back-filled and I got stuck doing a job I never wanted, for less money than I'm worth. My managers have done everything they can to help, but all the great things that NG has to offer are behind the clearance wall. It's not NG's fault - that's the business they're in - but understand that every promise they make you is conditional on the clearance. And ask your interviewer about the program you'll be on. The programs within the company are essentially their own companies, so take all the negative and positive reviews with a grain of salt. My roommate works for a different program, and his management and work/life balance are completely different than mine. I haven't gotten a Friday off in 6 months and I regularly work every weekend for months at a time. He's home by 3:30 and takes ski trips all the time.

Advice to Management

Please be honest about the clearance backlog on the front end (The year+ wait was well known in the company). Don't over-load functional managers with so many reports they can't fairly rate them or support them. Study employee satisfaction from a program-specific standpoint, not an over-all corporate one, and identify why the good programs are good, and make those changes in the struggling programs. I have seen positive steps in this direction, but I'm already burned out.

4. "Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Jobs are stable and secure.

Cons

Jobs may not be challenging.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good long term business opportunities - lots of growth with new programs

Cons

Palmdale site management is pushing good workers out. VP's and Directors micro managing.

Advice to Management

Empower workers more. Don't claim to be a talent magnet without actually having something that attracts candidates or retains good workers.

6. "It is OK"

Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment is okay. There are multiple projects that you can work on and transfer between them so you don't get bored.

Cons

Racism is one of the biggest problem and culture there even though some people are trying to hide it so they just avoid talking to you.

Advice to Management

Be fair.

7. "Harware Engineer Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Northrop Grumman as an intern

Pros

Large facility (Headquarters) with plenty of resources and learning opportunity

Very welcoming atmosphere

Cons

The internship program did not feel "structured". It felt as if my manager did not have enough time to prepare relevant work for me to do.

Advice to Management

Make sure that there is enough work for ALL interns to take part in.

"Mixed bag put positive experience overall"

Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NGC is a pretty good place to work for the most part. The benefits and on-site amenities are pretty good. We have an on-site workout facility and cafeteria. Company sponsors a lot of activities which is nice. The people in general are pretty cool as well. The environment is serious but not stressful. If you want options for different kinds of projects and skill sets to work on it's good place to be, especially if you're early in your technical career and aren't sure what you like to do.

Cons

Most of the daily frustration is attributed to things that plague most workplaces in this field but what I find the most frustrating the giant corporate mindset that informs a lot of daily operations. Whether be it the usual platitudes about visibility and leadership or their at times nonsensical rating system for annual reviews, there are parts of being in the machine that can induce hair loss. If you're in the lower levels, expect to stay there. The way to make money in the company is to leave then come back later hopefully to higher position. Promotions on site are few and far between and they seem to take notice of people that are threatening to leave, or that change from program to program often rather than the people that focus on their tasks and deliver consistently. They put a real premium on knowing a lot of people and participating in a lot of things rather than excel at the things you're assigned to.

Advice to Management

I'd start by re-thinking employee evaluation and how valuable the corporate definitions of 'visibilty' and 'leadership' really are. It also helps to frame the conversation in terms of what we accomplish as a team rather than what we did for the shareholders. I think sometimes the quest to look good by hiring tons of people and bragging about all the work is a fool's errand.

"Not the best place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team. Thats about it.

Cons

No training. No guidance on tasks.

Advice to Management

Be upfront with your goals

10. "accountant"

Current Employee - Accounting Clerk in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Accounting Clerk in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

9/80 and good pto, good office environment

Cons

the job is demanding and no much room for promothion

Showing 1,094 of 4,107 reviews