Northrop Grumman Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7

3,508 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • A lot of hours are required which offsets the work/life balance (in 59 reviews)

• Too much politics at the upper management level (in 104 reviews)

1. "Great Company."

Current Employee - Engineer V in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer V in Chantilly, VA

Pros

Great, professional atmosphere. Although I work at a customer site, NG is great at distributing company newsletters to let you know what is happening within the company. Also, there is very little micro-management.

Cons

Most of the work is away from the company because much of the work is at customer sites. Therefore, you get very little time with management.

Advice to Management

None. They do a good job.

2. "Great for now - Job security is always the biggest questions"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in El Segundo, CA

Pros

The same as many of its competitors, Northrop has decent early compensation and an acceptable benefits package. Education reimbursement especially has been a significant boon for me. Management is interested in carrying forward good ideas, and has processes in place to empower employees. In such a large organization, however, certain groups often are marginalized.

Cons

The defense industry is always rising and falling with the contracting decisions of our government. Right now, NGC is doing a phenomenal job capturing contracts, and much of this can be attributed to some strong leadership at the right levels. However, not enough is being done to solidify these gains.

Advice to Management

Keep on picking the right contracts, and your employees will keep on winning them!

3. "Wonderful Company!"

Current Employee - Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Reston, VA

Pros

Values employees, flex time and room to grow! In the past 10 years, I have worked in 5 different projects and have been promoted 5 times. Itis a place were you can grow and learn from others. Having a family and balancing work, traffic and the home life it is important to know you have flexibility. The main buildings are open 24 hours so flexing your time is easy. I have come into work at 5am before and left early to take care of personal apts. I have a lap top and can work from home as needed. Excellent company!

Cons

Lots of change as we become a unified company, but the end result will be excellent. I was with another company that was purchased by NG and the company is moving towards there is like policies, benefits, computer systems and career paths so it is easier to move around the company. This takes a lot of work and therefore there seems to be changes every year. Most are positive changes - like we received more vacation one year, benefit expenses were lowered as a result of coming together and soon all the grades and titles will be the same. Change is good...

Advice to Management

Ensure more entry-level positions are supported.

4. "Northrop is a good place to work"

Former Employee - Engineering Planner in Palmdale, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Planner in Palmdale, CA

Pros

The senior management is taking the company in the right direction, providing opportunities in many
    technical fields. Ship building,Electronic warfare,Unmanned aircraft,Stealth Technology,Refueling Tankers - with an internal transfer mechanism in place to apply for possitions on other programs.

Cons

The only downside in my view would be if your job moves to another location - you move with it.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing the right things

"Northrop Grumman is a top tier company that brings in the best and the brightest."

Current Employee - Subcontracts Manager in Redondo Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Subcontracts Manager in Redondo Beach, CA

Pros

There's a lot of pride in our line of work. It's also a top tier company- they only hire the best. Compensation is excellent as well as the benefits. This is a great place to start a career- it gives you a GREAT foundation.

Cons

With any large company there's a lot of inertia. Change happens very slowly and requires 110% buy-in from upper and middle management.

Advice to Management

Indecision wastes tons and tons of money. All the stakeholders need to be involved when it comes to "upper level" decision making. VPs and directors cannot simply "rain down" their will/wish upon the middle management and general work force.

"A great place to shape your own career!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Dallas, TX

Pros

Northrop Grumman has been a great place to shape a career. I've worked here for over two decades and look back over some very rewarding work. I feel like I've been able to contribute to the growth of many other employees. Management has rewarded me well with both pay and respect. The leaders of the IT Sector are ethical and truly care about the work-life balance of the employees. Of course we all have to make sacrifices at various times, working overtime to get the job done or traveling when we would rather be home, but overall I would highly recommend Northrop Grumman Information Technology to even a close friend. My work/life balance is great but it has taken discipline on my part to make it happen over the years. For the past few years I have been working from my home office most of the time and truly enjoy the virtual work environment. Although there is no career path defined for me, there are multiple options and managers have helped me properly use my talents. I work with a very competent and ethical group of NG employees. Our leaders are very serious about making sure NG remains an ethical company and I believe it is.

Cons

Because NG purchased so many companies over the past years and let them retain much of their culture, it is not yet One Northrop Grumman. This can be confusing when moving between sectors but it can also be another chance for career growth within the same company.

Advice to Management

I would encourage senior management to continue living the Northrop Grumman values.

"Northrop Grumman, it's the place to be."

Current Employee - Engineer III in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer III in El Segundo, CA

Pros

Northrop Grumman seems to have been winning all of the major new contracts for the last couple of years.

Cons

Raises do not seem to be heavily performance weighted.
    However, that is probably related to workforce supply vs demand.

Advice to Management

Senior Management at Northrop Grumman has proven vision and implementation. They are carving a successful path for their employees and stockholders.

8. "Northrop Grumman is a technically advanced, challenging, and exciting place to work."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA

Pros

Coworkers all they up to management generally know their stuff, technically speaking. It's a great place to learn from experts in the field. And people are generally friendly and willing to share their knowledge and experience. Also, the flexible work schedule is nice with every other friday off being standard. Northrop Grumman is also known for being the more technologically advanced defense company with many programs on the cutting edge of the fields using the latest designs and hardware. At Redondo Beach, most of the engineering is done in house with many different types of labs and research and development programs.

Cons

Location is in a very expensive area (Redondo Beach, CA) so commuting in LA traffic is an issue. It is a big campus so it is possible to get lost in the numbers. Some of my coworkers have worked hard with little recognition. Also, with all government defense work, having to report time and clock in for a number of hours is a downside. Sometimes tasks take longer and you pretty much work for free on the last day of the pay period.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work of winning challenging and advanced programs and attracting highly technical employees. Work on keeping them with secure remote work sites because living in southern california is expensive.

"A great place to work, but it depends on your management and group you work for."

Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Rolling Meadows, IL

Pros

The pay seems to be a lot better than most places, and the flexibility of work schedule is a huge plus. It's a great place to network with people, and being a defense contractor (depending on how you look at it) can have some great benefits. The type of work is always very interesting and for a technology company you're always working on cutting-edge stuff. From a corporate standpoint, there are few rules in terms of schedule and advancement. Because of this you won't find a lot of "corporate" rules and regulations driving your management to do things that are "out of their hands". At the same time, many departments won't look out for you either.

Cons

It can be very political, and the benefits of salary/work arrangement can vary greatly depending on your department and management structure. Since Northrop is a defense contractor, it's tied very heavily with the current political spectrum. Huge swings in defense spending can drive layoffs or a glut of over staffing. Another downside is that many departments are very politicized and many employees find themselves doing better work than a coworker, but are not rewarded or advancing as fast as they should be. Another downside is that most of the work done here is classified, and because of that you can't always talk about what you do to family and friends. This can also be a plus if you like to work on cutting-edge technology.

Advice to Management

None

10. "Exciting projects, warm work environment, solid company"

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

Flexibility and exciting projects, very concerned about employee welfare. diverse set of locations withing Southern California. Easy to relocate within the state. Leaders are positive up beat group. Probably loyal to a fault for employees.

Cons

Slow bureaucratic methods. Trying to cover to much of the water front. Processes in some cases are very old school. Leaders are not rewarded for taking risks. Corporate starting down a path of one-size fits all-itis. Assume cooler heads will prevail before this goes to far.

Advice to Management

get more focused on a smaller scope of projects.

Showing 3,508 of 3,796 reviews