Northrop Grumman Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7

3,457 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life balance is my priority (in 59 reviews)

• Too much politics at the upper management level (in 104 reviews)

"If you can, work somewhere else!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

Pros

There are usually a lot of positions at NGIT, with 99% of them working for the Air Force. There were a lot of fine people working there; made some lasting relationships.

Cons

The benefits absolutely suck. First of all, they take quite a bit out of your paycheck every month. Secondly, the coverage is not that great. They will only pay up to 90% of prescription medications, which is fine when the medication cost $50.00. What about when the medication cost thousands of dollars.

Management usually consist of former Air Force officers that retire and then "cross the fence". Therefore, there's quite a bit of a "good ole boy" system with regards to advancement and opportunity.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't have the faintest idea.

"Beware if you weren't referred by someone already there - Keep your Resume active!"

Former Employee - Windows Administrator in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Windows Administrator in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

The pay was competitive, The manager (SH) is competent and has been in the role a long time.

Cons

Lots of nepotism, the deputy managers and leads are very aggressive. The leads don't seem competent in the area they are leading. No communication, you have to research everything yourself. There are cliques and brown-nosing is a must to receive good increases. Too many different teams and I was often finding out information about my team from cross-talk from people outside the team. The constant change of work-order/pay codes gave an increasing sense of disorganization - at one point forcing employees to leave an area with one day notice because their contract expired.

Advice to Management

Hire people who know the job, and who know how to manage and not lead by fear and intimidation

"Would not recommend this company."

Current Employee - Engineer I in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer I in El Segundo, CA

Pros

If you like working on defense contracts, and don't mind paper work, it isn't a bad place for job stability (and knowing what to expect on a day-to-day basis) when there are plenty of contracts. Watch out when contracts are about to end, though.

Cons

Once contracts come to a close, you may be laid off (it's the nature of defense contracting). Middle management is pretty inept in terms of assigning adequate work and encouraging career growth. Everyday operations are incredibly inefficient and riddled with large amounts of paperwork and Powerpoint presentations, but very little actual design work. Promotions are given out based on tenure, not merit. And raises are given out based on averages amongst people with your same job title, so all-in-all, raises are given just at the level of inflation (or a bit lower).

Advice to Management

Encourage hard work by rewarding people based on merit, not tenure. Apply company policies with integrity, do not use them as excuses to penalize employees.

"Be wary!"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Newport News, VA

Pros

I worked at the Newport News sector...most managers were very flexible when it comes to time off or coming in early/later. That's what keeps a lot of folks there. Most of the folks there are very friendly and helpful if you have any questions.

Cons

Good ol' boy/girl network. Only the ones that management likes has a chance of getting promoted, and then it is done in secret. Very poor merit increases. No bonus for non-management. Even though they claim they let you go in any direction you want to go in, they are very quick to pigeonhole you into one thing. A lot of the older folks are eligible for retirement and there will be a huge brain drain in the next few years. On the other end, they can't keep the younger folks around b/c either they don't want to deal with the old technology or they know they will not be promoted. Very hard to get training.

Advice to Management

Stop listening to middle management and go directly to the folks at the bottom that are actually doing the work. Don't gather them all up in a room and expect someone to speak out about it.

"Bad Management at its Absolute Worst"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Avondale, LA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Avondale, LA

Pros

Northrop Grumman is one of only a few shipyards in the country that build large military vessels. The opportunities for this company to become the premier leader of its kind are endless. It has many acres for ship manufacturing, lots of technical talent, three sites in three different states (allowing for easy employee exchange), and a well-developed industry. There are a few good managers. Mike Petters has just recently assumed leadership. So far I like what I see, but unfortunately he has a very long way to go to improve morale and to mitigate the effects of past wrongs.

Cons

The management is the absolute worst I've ever seen. Incompetence is rampant, especially at the managerial level. There's an "ostritch with head stuck in the sand" attitude regarding HR matters. The corporate investment management (e.g., 401K) is suspect. Overhead is in the triple digits, percentagewise. Last but not least, the southern culture associated with this shipyard seems to affect how managers treat employees, which is to say, racism and discrimination (racial and gender) are simply out of control. There is no such thing as equal opportunity here. I have a master's degree in engineering, yet I'm never allowed to perform engineering duties. I feel as if I'm collecting a welfare check, and it's intensely depressing. Here, people are outcast if they don't follow convention. It's business the old way, or no way. Managers are paid incredibly exorbitant salaries and bonuses. Managers do NOT communicate well with employees. My manager hasn't spoken to me in months. MONTHS! Managers here still yell and scream at us, and denounce us based on lies told by immediate supervisory personnel. We are treated worse than prisoners.

Advice to Management

Start empowering your employees. You paid for our education, but won't allow us to use what we've learned to help the company...You must change this. Stop covering up the indiscretions of your managers. Start treating us equally, regardless of race or gender. Start monitoring the management of individual employees to ensure that each employee is being used to his or her full potential, and to ensure that each employee is being treated fairly. Start LISTENING to our concerns, and taking an active part in empowering us and making postive changes that can benefit this shipyard. Stop screaming at us! WE ARE NOT YOUR CHILDREN! Reorganize HR so that it is effective. Right now HR is simply a total waste of time...It's like the fox watching the chicken coop. Start giving us an equal opportunity to excel, please! Also, start mandating management training for all managers!!!!

"Lots of Overtime"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Elkridge, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Elkridge, MD

Pros

Good company for someone who is good at following orders and who knows how to not cave into the pressure of working overtime.

Cons

You will work a lot of overtime as a software engineer. It is considered your duty. Unfortunately the company has a habit of trying to get their workforce to make up "non-productive" time such as going to the bathroom, going to "lunch meetings", traveling on company business, and anything else that doesn't directly help their bottom line. There is a "workforce initiative" which is supposed to mitigate some of the tension related to things like this, but ultimately they do not encourage their work force to use the correct charge numbers for these tasks. For example, one of their tactics is: your manager will tell you that you get paid for overtime, then (at near future date) reveal that you are not authorized to charge overtime and proceed to tell you X amount of work needs to be completed "or else." For the particular project I am working on (the postal office's flats sorting project), I had a manager once admit candidly to me that they were told explicitly to use an "very aggressive software schedule". In once instance, after telling a manager it would take 8 days for me to complete something, they told me that I have to do it in 4 and that charging overtime was not allowed. From talking to other coworkers and my direct bosses openly about the problem, I have gathered that the overtime problem ultimately stems from upper level management (this is good in the sense that the manager directly above you is more often or not "on your side", but bad in the sense that the overtime problems are widespread amongst software engineers).

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they tell you that your not giving them enough time to get the required tasks done.

"A company that has lost its way."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redondo Beach, CA

Pros

Excellent pay. Interesting and challenging programs. A valuable resource for national security.

Cons

An overly large conglomerate/holding company where people are treated like furniture. A company that lacks any team spirit whatsoever. Employees are so busy looking over their shoulder that they often walk into walls. Policy, procedures and bureaucracy are venerated while customer satisfaction, quality and innovation suffer as employees spend an inordinate amount of time maneuvering through the internal labyrinth of non-sense checks and balances. Northrop is consumed with fear of making a mistake or losing a dollar. This has killed the entrepreneurial spirit. Management is highly accusatory and would rather excoriate an employee than roll up their sleeves and help with the problem.

Advice to Management

A company consists of its people. It's value and success is often determined by the quality of its people. Management has lost its humanity trading in the qualities which distinguish us from mere animals in favor of self-serving and self-promoting arrogance. Management needs to find its soul.

"It's a proud company but very slow moving and "old school.""

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA

Pros

-Great benefits. Full medical, dental, and vision. I think my dental plan will pay up to 2k for orthodontic work and my vision will pay about the same towards lasic. We also get the option for legal insurance as well
    -You're doing work that matters to the world. I work on a 500 million dollar satellite that will detect missile launches. t's pretty cool that they trust and allow me to work with something so important.
    -High sense of pride among the employees. Most people who work here are proud of what they do and the company in general.
    -Co-workers are generally friendly and willing to help you.
    -Almost everyone is smart, and motivated. Not a lot of slouches around the company.

Cons

-Salary increases are 3-6% per year. You look for a pay "grade" increase in this industry.
    -Older population. They're hiring a lot of younger people now, but most around here are 40-60 years old. Leads to a generation gap.
    -knowledge transfer is hard. You have to really work to engage the older guys to give you the information you need to get your job done. The older guys are quite often very busy so you can only get so much time speaking with them before they tell you to "go read the manual."
    -It's a big company. Sometimes you feel like you can get lost in the place. You definitely have to work at making yourself stand out.
    -Bureaucracy is high. Got to get a lot of people to agree before a small or simple test can be performed.
    -It's a defense engineering company, so you will be working around a lot of former and current military, and engineers. These people are all very nice, but not the most dynamic personalities. I've made a few good friends, but for the most part, I'm not interested in hanging out with these people outside of work.
    -We have our fast and slow times, but generally, it's not as fast-paced as the computer or electronic industries that an engineer could work for.

Advice to Management

Work on improving training and knowledge transfer. A lot of young people want to get more knowledge and support out of the older the older guys.

"New Fresh ideas are required, Good old boys network needs to be dismantled."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL

Pros

NGC as a company might be ok, not this location

Cons

too many to list - good old boys network is very powerful- professional growth is restircted by this group who is not competent to lead 21 st century work force.

Advice to Management

Dismantle myopic out of touch, 7th centrury mind set good old boys network. These middle managers have no competence, and subsequently are good at sabotaging efficient ideas which could result in significant savings of tax payers money

"Lack of Leadership. self-focused, bonus-motivated people in charge"

Current Employee - Business Development in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Business Development in Orlando, FL

Pros

salary, benefits, working level people below the "VP-bonus" level. there's great collaboration amongst the working level folks that just want to get the job done. at the executive level, it breaks down - REALLY QUICKLY.

Cons

seems like middle-senior management is SELF-FOCUSED - their bonuses. they treat people under them like plow mules, no respect. LOTS OF HOURS.

Advice to Management

Need to learn LEADERSHIP from a military person. or better yet - just put the military people in charge. Maybe realize the competition is OUTSIDE the castle walls. start cooperating better internally. quit focusing on yourself and your bonus. get a mission or objective BIGGER THAN YOURSELF. Maybe like your people. LEADERSHIP is about EMPOWERING people - creating a positive work environment where people might actually WANT to work long hours - make them feel part of the solution. I know, it's all too simple and "motherhood" for you to buy-in.

Showing 3,457 of 3,727 reviews