Northrop Grumman Reviews | Glassdoor

Northrop Grumman Reviews

Updated May 15, 2017

Pros
  • Great people and environment, flexible schedule and 9-80 schedule (in 255 reviews)

• Great work life balance and benefits (in 244 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance is my priority (in 55 reviews)

• Tone-deaf upper management thinks that continuous surveys on employee satisfaction will improve satisfaction (in 99 reviews)

"Entry on April 21 2016 is the real picture"

Current Employee - Unkown in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Unkown in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman (More than 8 years)

Pros

the April 21, 2016 entry is completely true.
    "One of the well-known organisations in the defence sector in the western world. Each sector of the corporation operates with many projects that offer plentiful development opportunity for those that stay long enough and endure the hardship of living with minuscule pay in high-cost areas. A lot of development resources are available to anyone with the equipments and time to access them".

Cons

The cons noted on the April 21 2016 entry couldn't be more true, except that all levels of management are detached - never acknowledges of give credit where its due, Its truly a thank less business environment. Its also very true that you don't need an education to move up; just become friends with anyone in management. Others who have the experience and education are slowly leaving. Most of management is now made up of individuals with barely any experience or education. A lot of decisions are made without thoroughly thinking it through. Its only a show of power. Employees are no longer asked to participate, only those that are favored are listened to and promoted.

Advice to Management

no advise they will do what they want

"ISD here is prehistoric- it will set you back"

Current Employee - Organizational Development Representative in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Organizational Development Representative in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

Great money and Benefits. If you keep you nose to the drudgery you will succeed

Cons

People are on Ptoc (part time on call) for years. It's like a gladiator game. New designers are pitted against each other and shown little respect. They are set up to fail. The best PTOC people move on quickly and avoid the gladiator games.

Advice to Management

Please wake up. Your approach weakens our entire team and reduces our confidence in your abilities.

"Poor Salary, Management"

Current Employee - Engineer I in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

9/80 Fridays, work can be relatively challenging and interesting

Cons

management, pay, EOY bonus, performance reviews are done on a bell curve

"Northrop Grumman experience"

Former Employee - Senior Manager Business in Midlothian, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager Business in Midlothian, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are very dedicated to their work. They take a lot of pride in pleasing the customer. It is a large company so there is opportunity for movement.

Cons

The employees perform work that isn't under contract to please the customer. The company continually forces employees to reapply for their positions. There is no support from executive management for the non-technical staff.

Advice to Management

Management needs to hold the technical staff accountable to perform work under contract, perform all of their duties within their job description and to meet non-technical deadlines.

"Senior Scheduler Level 4"

Former Employee - Senior Scheduler in Lancaster, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Scheduler in Lancaster, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman (More than a year)

Pros

Not really sure what to say here.

Cons

Not a great place to work. Entrenched, backward management will not change.

"Here's Why Northrop Grumman Earned A Failing Grade For Corporate Governance"

Former Employee - Engineering in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering in San Antonio, TX

Pros

They had good leadership when Kent Kresa and Ron Sugar where there.

Cons

The purchase of a $5,050,000 home by Northrop Grumman Corporation (NOC) for use by its Chairman/President/CEO recently drew my attention. This was not part of the company’s relocation assistance for employees being transferred to its new corporate headquarters in Virginia; it was a prior transaction that provided a principal residence in California for Wesley Bush in October of 2010.

Advice to Management

Fire Wes Bush and get back to being a Tier 1 Defense Contractor.

"Great company but they have horrible local management teams."

Former Employee - Geosptial Analyst in O'Fallon, IL
    Former Employee - Geosptial Analyst in O'Fallon, IL

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for and an amazing resume booster. Perfect for growth opportunities with other organizations. Advancement is very biased.

Cons

Government contracting work with low pay compared to competitors in the area. Management in the local area at the program management level could use some restructuring.

Advice to Management

Reconcile your differences and advance with the contemporary way of doing things.

"A&Ps Stay away!"

Former Contractor - Aircraft Mechanic in Lake Charles, LA
    Former Contractor - Aircraft Mechanic in Lake Charles, LA

I worked at Northrop Grumman as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

You are not required to think, learn the aircraft or even care what the FAR say about maintenance. You truly are paid from the neck down.

Cons

No raises for mechanics, office staff get yearly raises. The tools are cheap and there are not many. Management will ask you do to shady maintenance to keep hours low and the plane on schedule. Don't while the planes are military you can still have your license pulled for by the Feds if you are caught doing unsafe maintenance. The upper management are good ol' boys with no business or management skills to speak of. Skills and education mean nothing when jobs open up. Being from Lake Charles is better than having a Masters degree. If you ask about incentive you will be told "Getting a pay check is all the incentive you need." Why NG keeps this place on it's books is beyond me. This thing is a dog (managers here won't understand the reference). Do the right thing and kill it.

Advice to Management

Hire people with the skill sets needed to run a repair station. Stop hiring your family or friends of family. Skill sets will always beat out last names. Listen to the few skilled mechanics you have. If they say something is unsafe, not airworthy, or doesn't follow the manual trust their judgment.

"NG Good Name NO Growth Potential - Feeling Stuck"

Current Employee - Rep in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Rep in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

its a good name - fortune 500 company, but think twice about working here.

Cons

ABSOLUTELY NO GROWTH!!! Too many layers. I have been to HR several times to get guidance on a different career path...I have a Masters degree and I am still a rep because of the limited opportunities, this company just recycles folks in upper management and calls it a re-org. I work with a person who does nothing never shows up for work yet she is "protected". I hear work life balance but yet to experience it, a very micro - managed company. I feel stuck...I keep getting job offers elsewhere but the distance is too far.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on talent, reward people for a job well done. Reduce the layers, HR please take a step up and do more in assisting people with getting where they need to go.

"Terrible Company, Terrible Technology"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Chicago, IL

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to roll into work and sit in a chair doing nothing for 40 hours a week, this is the company for you.

Cons

A giant old boys club. Are you a minority or a female? Look elsewhere. All the management and leadership in this building are white males. If they fail or perform poorly at their job, nothing happens. They just change their title and put somebody else in their spot. Layoffs and other big events never, ever touch senior management.

Huge amounts of waste and graft. Projects that could be done in 3 months take a year. Whats your incentive to be efficient and smart when you're working on a government contract?

The vast majority of people who work at this company would struggle to be successful in any other setting. These are the B and C students of your engineering classes.

Constantly cutting benefits and weaseling their way out of things they committed to their employees. My favorite are the company-mandated shutdown days at the end of the year which are essentially a built-in furlough.

Pay is absolutely horrendously bad. I went to work for a small company after Northrop and my first offer was 30% higher. That was before negotiation. I'm not anything amazing either, that just happens to be how far below market average this place pays people in general.

Working conditions are abysmal at best. Seriously the cubicles in this place are so old and stained and disgusting its unbelievable. Most of the furniture was installed long before I was even born. There are literally no windows and for whatever reason nobody in senior management sees this as an issue. All the facilities in Baltimore have windows, why doesn't this facility have them? Another great example of how little this place values their employees and their well-being.

Seriously, this has got to be one of the worst big companies to work for in America. You are doing yourself a huge disservice even considering working at Northrop Grumman. You may be reading this thinking "What a complainer, I have an offer I think I'm happy with." Trust me, I was there too, and years later I can't believe the mistake I made. Please, think really hard before going to work for this company. Unless you really want to just take it easy every day and you don't care about fair pay, good vacation time, or contributing to meaningful projects, this is absolutely a job you are going to grow to hate. Save yourself, just say no.

Advice to Management

Pay people better. When senior management sucks or fails, actually fire them instead of just shuffling the old boys club's titles around. Increase vacation time.

Showing 166 of 3,569 reviews