Northrop Grumman Reviews | Glassdoor

Northrop Grumman Reviews

Updated July 5, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life balance is my priority (in 57 reviews)

• Tone-deaf upper management thinks that continuous surveys on employee satisfaction will improve satisfaction (in 102 reviews)

"NG Good Name NO Growth Potential - Feeling Stuck"

Current Employee - Rep in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Rep in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

its a good name - fortune 500 company, but think twice about working here.

Cons

ABSOLUTELY NO GROWTH!!! Too many layers. I have been to HR several times to get guidance on a different career path...I have a Masters degree and I am still a rep because of the limited opportunities, this company just recycles folks in upper management and calls it a re-org. I work with a person who does nothing never shows up for work yet she is "protected". I hear work life balance but yet to experience it, a very micro - managed company. I feel stuck...I keep getting job offers elsewhere but the distance is too far.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on talent, reward people for a job well done. Reduce the layers, HR please take a step up and do more in assisting people with getting where they need to go.

"Terrible Company, Terrible Technology"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Chicago, IL

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to roll into work and sit in a chair doing nothing for 40 hours a week, this is the company for you.

Cons

A giant old boys club. Are you a minority or a female? Look elsewhere. All the management and leadership in this building are white males. If they fail or perform poorly at their job, nothing happens. They just change their title and put somebody else in their spot. Layoffs and other big events never, ever touch senior management.

Huge amounts of waste and graft. Projects that could be done in 3 months take a year. Whats your incentive to be efficient and smart when you're working on a government contract?

The vast majority of people who work at this company would struggle to be successful in any other setting. These are the B and C students of your engineering classes.

Constantly cutting benefits and weaseling their way out of things they committed to their employees. My favorite are the company-mandated shutdown days at the end of the year which are essentially a built-in furlough.

Pay is absolutely horrendously bad. I went to work for a small company after Northrop and my first offer was 30% higher. That was before negotiation. I'm not anything amazing either, that just happens to be how far below market average this place pays people in general.

Working conditions are abysmal at best. Seriously the cubicles in this place are so old and stained and disgusting its unbelievable. Most of the furniture was installed long before I was even born. There are literally no windows and for whatever reason nobody in senior management sees this as an issue. All the facilities in Baltimore have windows, why doesn't this facility have them? Another great example of how little this place values their employees and their well-being.

Seriously, this has got to be one of the worst big companies to work for in America. You are doing yourself a huge disservice even considering working at Northrop Grumman. You may be reading this thinking "What a complainer, I have an offer I think I'm happy with." Trust me, I was there too, and years later I can't believe the mistake I made. Please, think really hard before going to work for this company. Unless you really want to just take it easy every day and you don't care about fair pay, good vacation time, or contributing to meaningful projects, this is absolutely a job you are going to grow to hate. Save yourself, just say no.

Advice to Management

Pay people better. When senior management sucks or fails, actually fire them instead of just shuffling the old boys club's titles around. Increase vacation time.

"NG"

Former Employee - Technician in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Technician in Orlando, FL

I worked at Northrop Grumman (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company if you know the right people.

Cons

Management work together to keep their job and through the others under the bus. No matter what color.

Advice to Management

your subordinates also have family to support.

"Don't waste your time applying here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a 9/80 work week.

Cons

There is no career growth unless you are related to someone which leads to a disproportionate amount of unqualified and inept managers. The management lies to their employees in order to advance their own agendas. The performance reviews are a joke; they are not allowed only so many good scores and often downgrade strong performers because of this. Favoritism is rampant and any monetary rewards are only given to favorites. There are constant organizational changes and the ratio of management at all levels to employees is absurd.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves

"At least when Rome burned...there was music....Doors Closing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Apopka, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Apopka, FL

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, nice people, try to be ethical

Cons

Too much worthless "help" from Corporate, Sector, Division... Very little energy to succeed and current leadership is extremely risk adverse (and not that knowledgeable) so success will be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Sell the business why they can still get something and help the employees and customers get something out of it. (Moving it to other NGC locations would just show the lack of understanding)

"Sucks"

Former Employee - Buyer in Apopka, FL
    Former Employee - Buyer in Apopka, FL

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company prides itself on ethics and for the most part as a corporate entity. Overall it satisfies this claim.

Cons

Sectors are very different, No uniformity across those sectors and the ES sector is a horrific place to work and would never recommend it to anyone.

Advice to Management

Too much management

"Working for Northrop Grumman"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Haven, CT

I worked at Northrop Grumman (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fair Benefits and pay scale.

Cons

You are just a number there.

Advice to Management

Value your employees.

"This is a terrible place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, flexible hours, that's it.

Cons

Everything else. Not good benefits. No recognition of talent. Everything is a firedrill and therefore gets done half right. The Rolling Meadows location feels like you're working in a dungeon. The building has no windows and sucks the life out of you. The company only spends contract money, and refuses to spend overhead, meaning that you end up having to "donate" your own time to work a lot - this is the worst policy the company has.

Advice to Management

Nix the current performance review system that scores everyone, stop treating employees like expendable assets or "heads."

Northrop Grumman Response

Dec 3, 2015 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate you sharing your concerns and feedback with us. While we don’t profess to be perfect, we are working hard and devoting significant resources to employee... More

"Northrop"

Current Employee - Quality in Redondo Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Quality in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay for heritage employees

Cons

the current management is attempting to get rid of heritage employees and they don't treat the employees very professionally.

Advice to Management

Get your heads out!

"NGIT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pomona, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pomona, NJ

I worked at Northrop Grumman (More than 10 years)

Pros

They treat employees very badly

Cons

No boss locally. closest one was 270 miles away. HR rep changed weekly and wewere not told till one of us called with a question. Boss did not know our contract was ending. We found out from FAA security when they walked in to take our badges and escort us off site. At least they were nice about it..

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like numbers. We are humans.

Showing 171 of 3,690 reviews