Northrop Grumman Reviews | Glassdoor

Northrop Grumman Reviews

Updated April 20, 2017

Pros
  • Great people and environment, flexible schedule and 9-80 schedule (in 254 reviews)

• Great work life balance and benefits (in 241 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance is my priority (in 55 reviews)

• Tone-deaf upper management thinks that continuous surveys on employee satisfaction will improve satisfaction (in 99 reviews)

"No professionally trained management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

No movement. Lack of managers that know how to progress, train and mold their employees for advancement. Dishonest about the product they are providing to the American soldier. Hit and miss ethics, mostly miss. Tend to paint a lie into truth. Mark Twain would be proud of them.

Advice to Management

Go to courses. Do Webinars. Please educate yourself on being a well rounded manager. Put away your dagger when someone leaves your employment.

"Northrop Grumman"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very few other than a steady paycheck.

Cons

Pretty much everything. Taking benefits from employees seems to be the only source of profit for this company. Cubicles were reduced to the size of a closet and employee are now packed in like sardines. Now you're given two weeks notice once your contract ends to find another job in the company or you're let go. Oh and it takes them a week to get you on the priority list for hiring within the company.

Advice to Management

What management?

"Awful career choice"

Former Employee - Program Manager II in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager II in San Diego, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best thing about working here is that you don't have to do ANYTHING to be successful in your career. 90% of the people who work at Northrop Grumman show up, shut their office door and wait 9 hours... then go home. Actually most of them only wait 7 hours before sneaking out the side door. Of course, everyone claims to work SOOO many hours. They are truly raping the government and your hard earned tax dollars.

Cons

Management blows. 90% of the employees could qualify for mental disabilities. Offices are unclean and full of animal infestations... I actually once saw a raccoon in my cubicle. No joke.. I came in very early one morning and the raccoon was sifting through my trash can looking for food.. I was shocked. I eventually tamed the raccoon and now own it as a pet.. As much as you can "own" a raccoon.. They really aren't family friendly. I found that out the hard way.

Advice to Management

No advice I could possible give would change the terrible attitudes of all levels of management. This company and all its management is defunct and devoid of any talent. Seriously a terrible place to work. SO glad I retired after 35 years of not having to do a single thing.

"Insider view"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Northrop talks a good game. They claim to be a diverse workplace that values women and minorities. Don't believe it. Its for show.

Cons

Women may be at the upper levels for the public eye, but the reality is that there are exceptionally few women in management. They will low ball your salary. They will low ball your promotions. They lie. They overwork everyone, promise the world, never deliver. Their benefits have dropped significantly.

Advice to Management

Your HR people do more to demotivate employees than keep them. Your promotional policies are antiquated. You are still an ex-military old boys club. You say you want to attract youth - but you do nothing to support that claim.

"Mechanical Engineer"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

average work/life balance at NGC

Cons

no career opportunities for last 6 years

Advice to Management

need career growth

"The time I have been here on VITA program it has gone from so-so to the dumpster"

Current Employee - IT Manager of Staff in Chester, VA
    Current Employee - IT Manager of Staff in Chester, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman (More than 8 years)

Pros

401 and those sorts of benefits are the only good thing they have going even though our leave was cut back quite a bit since I started here

Cons

Management acts like they are in Jr High with their clicks and favorites. It does not matter if you are a good worker or not only that you play by their rules of which always rides on the edge of being ethical. If you do not you will get laid off eventually if you don’t say yes to everything, you can never disagree about any subject no matter if it is unsafe or unethical
    The program I am on has lost money for several years and the only way for them to recover is to let go staff then the remaining employee's have thier own work plus who ever left's work thrown on top of an already small plate.

If you apply for another position they will block it because they dont want to loose you because your manager knows he will never get a replacement. Also they only want fresh kids out of college so they can pay them super low pay and weed off the older workers.which borders on age discrimination. This is one of thier favaorite little tricks. If you apply for another position and you are the most qualified they will cut the position then post the very same job back online until they get the right combo of young and cheap versus taking the experienced person.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the sand and really go and be around the worker bees now and again and see what they face. Every Program Director sounds like a car salesman and “boy do we have a deal for you!” everything is rosy and trouble free if you listen to them. it is not...They rotate out every 2-3 years anyway, so they dont really care anyway, just a stepping stone to another high paying gig for them..

"OK company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Linthicum, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Linthicum, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits and work life balance

Cons

Culture and Westinghouse mentality still exists

Advice to Management

Keep promoting the same "old" unqualified people and not considering the up and coming qualified people

"I was laid off from an expiring contract."

Former Employee - LASER TECHNICIAN in Apopka, FL
    Former Employee - LASER TECHNICIAN in Apopka, FL

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were many pros, learning, experience and pay being the best. The management was terrible, and work conditions were not safe.

Cons

The entire culture was about looking out for yourself. No one helped anyone else and the management blamed every one of their choices on the other people below them.

Advice to Management

Fire them

"Unpleasant is an understatement"

Former Employee - Senior Program Control Specialist in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Control Specialist in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Don't have anything good to say about NG. Too big and can't manage themselves well any longer. Wrong values and no loyalty.

Cons

Have been working for gov't contracts for 30 years now and NG was the worst place to work that I have experienced in all these years. Absolutely no help with issues, constant restructuring, loss of benefits, lack of management direction, everyone worked 50+ hours per week and usually more, only concerned about $ and not employee satisfaction and I found that the organization that I was in (IS) worked to achieve mediocracy at it's best.

Advice to Management

Complete overhaul is needed but won't happen. It starts at the top and the culture there does not support the things I find important: loyalty, work/life balance, career opportunities, etc. Just a generally unpleasant experience which resulted in me resigning.

"Northrop Grumman in Richmond VA was a do-nothing job"

Former Employee - Director of Creative Ways to Waste Taxpayer Money in Richmond, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good cafeteria, big parking lot.

Cons

My job was to roll a rock up a hill in the morning and roll the same rock down at night. The root cause of the problem is a leadership vacuum. Northrop Grumman brought its junior varsity management team to Richmond. Three months was all I could take. If you're interested in developing a career in engineering, stay away from this place.

Advice to Management

Pay more for good managers and get rid of the people who were no good at IT and decided they wanted to take on a leadership role. Give them a rock to roll around; that's something they can handle.

Showing 164 of 3,523 reviews