Northrop Grumman Software Engineer III Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Northrop Grumman Software Engineer-III Reviews

0 Rating

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good benefits, professional culture, diverse.

Cons

some of the work may not exactly be cutting edge, but you always have opportunities to improve things and get involved.

Advice to Management

keep up the great work and culture.

Northrop Grumman2016-04-18

"Software Engineering in OKC...."

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can make a ton of money doing mandatory overtime.

Cons

No career growth. Bad software engineering practices. Outdated software engineering practices. Super high attrition (both new hires and senior level are leaving in massive numbers). Mandatory overtime for months on end. Impossible deadlines that aren't supported by any of management's metrics. No work life balance. Bad documentation. No unit tests. Engineers have no control over what they do; if you find a bug you're not allowed to fix it.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your engineers are telling you. You've heard their complaints all year so I won't reiterate them here. Stop ignoring your engineers. They're the ones who build the products you sell.

Northrop Grumman2018-11-30

"Management only looking out for themselves"

Former Employee - Software Engineer III

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Checks don't bounce. Very large company so other divisions may be good.

Cons

Management cliques. Open discussion of workers as disposable assets. Frequent re-organizations to hide from responsibility. No discernible leadership.

Advice to Management

Find another way to measure success. Don't reward managers for laying off employees.

Northrop Grumman2018-07-21

"System Engineer III"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Middletown, RI

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Bonus, Travel, Vacation

Cons

Career Growth Education/Training Opportunities Benefits Little interaction with management Work/Life Balance

Northrop Grumman2016-04-22

"Does not care about education"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A company with quite a few positions an some good contracts available. Often work is available even if contracts are sparse.

Cons

It has bedn made very clear that through the little management communication that does occur education and training is not a focus

Advice to Management

Improve your focus on the employee take time to help those who are motivated to find options to help yhem grow.

Northrop Grumman2016-04-06

"Great Place To Work, But Don't Get Too Comfortable"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Very Stable - Usually Predictable - If you are smart and trusted, you can choose methods of solving problems - Generally, no one bothers you as long as you get your work done. I show up around 9 or 9:30 and sometimes even later. I get my work done and everyone likes me. Cool :)

Cons

- Like any job, if you have a bad manager, life will suck. Moving around within the company is doable if you make friends and seek out job reqs. I had to quit my old manager and find a new one about 3 years into the company. -- The company as a whole will not save you if your manager is a jerk. You just need to find a new one. - Company is trying, but not keeping up with modern benefits such as free food, laundry, day care, etc. -- They say they want to, but claim they'd rather funnel more money into internal R&D. Such is life. - IT runs your life in the computer world. I feel like I am breaking rules when I try to run the latest version of Java, FireFox or Notepad++. This company is hyper, hyper paranoid about cyber security. I don't blame them, but I think there could be better options that don't impede actual Engineers doing technical, computer intensive work. - After being with the company about 6 years, my salary only went up about 25% total. I got fed up and entertained offers from other companies where I fairly easily got a 40% bump offer. Within a week my manager matched -- though I suspect my current salary is nominal. Great experience, but I do wish I didn't have to go through that song-and-dance and Northrop gave raises each year.

Advice to Management

Please keep up with modern employee benefits & bonuses! Cost cutting was understandable in 2009 during the recession, but now its time to give back.

Northrop Grumman2016-02-04
  7. "Software engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

Relatively stable job and good work life balance.

Cons

Not working with the most bleeding edge technology. Lots of process.

Northrop Grumman2015-10-04

"Solid Job"

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Babylon, NY

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people are much more relaxed than the commercial world. A few great engineers who are willing to educate using best practices. Company has good benefits like 401k and medical. Always challenging work. Lots of opportunities to get education paid for.

Cons

Defense usually keep a lot of dead wood around. Meaning there are people who are not good at what they do and it's annoying to deal with them. Things are never cutting edge. Pay is about 40% lower than in commercial world in some of the more expensive areas of the country.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and yo'll never go wrong. Investment == $$.

Northrop Grumman2015-05-06

"great work-life balance"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting projects to work on and great people.

Cons

Too much red tape. Have to jumps hoops to accomplish simple tasks at times.

Northrop Grumman2015-04-17

"Once great, now incompetent management and HR"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

At this point in time, work-life balance is the only good thing about this company.

Cons

About 5 or more years ago, most employees were working hard and had a great outlook on their future. NG used to be a great company run by intelligent engineers. Today it seems like profit is the only thing that matters. We keep seeing shareholders rejoice at their inflated stock prices, and hearing about how the Execs are making millions in salary, yet the engineers doing all the REAL WORK keep having our salary increases frozen or miniscule (1-2% raise) every year. Meanwhile our benefits keep getting cut back as well. So what does this tell the engineers (the backbone!!) of this company? Seek work elsewhere. When you work overtime for weeks/months on end to make a deadline, then receive only a "passing" grade in your performance review, and a microscopic raise, guess what happens next? People either leave for better opportunities at other companies, or work very lazily in protest. Middle and upper management are completely incompetent, as well as the HR department, because if you ask for a raise or promotion, they will promise you everything to keep you working for them, then conveniently "forget" when the deadline comes around.

Advice to Management

Quit for the good of the company. And for the higher management, REPLACE the entire HR department and hire better middle management.

Northrop Grumman2015-03-03