Northside Hospital Reviews

Updated May 18, 2021

4.4
Pros
  • "Good pay Great benefits good environment(in 215 reviews)

• "Great Quality Patient Care; Encouraging Work Environment(in 116 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Long hours but that is anywhere in patient care(in 29 reviews)

• "I can't think of any cons to working at NSH(in 26 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Northside Hospital and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Na

May 13, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Gaithersburg, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Not applicable to me thank you

Cons

Pay, travel, food, doctors, nurse

2. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

New employee at Northside review

Apr 22, 2021 - Labor and Delivery RN in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Northside Labor and Delivery deserves its name for being the “baby factory” and I truly believe we do it very well. I believe the interdisciplinary communication between anesthesia, OBs, RNs, techs, etc is incredible and so essential with how big our unit is. There is a mutual respect for one another and each role they play in the delivery process! I think that our charge nurses, team leaders and shift nurses do a great job in knowing what is going on with each patient in each room. I also believe that it really is a great place to learn and I know I will always have support and help when I need it with patient care.

Cons

Northside labor and delivery is notorious for being the “baby factory” but it also is notorious for having extremely high turn over rates. I think new nurses are quickly burnt out with the night shift hours, weekend shifts, limited call outs, and stressful pace of the unit. I do not think we get enough support from our scheduler and manager in terms of time off. I believe that northside Lahr and delivery should make it easier for night shift nurses to move to day shift, make vacation weeks easier to schedule, and add more call outs. Our job is stressful and I believe more time for self care is essential and would play a huge role in improving our retention rate.

Content Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your candid review while working for Northside. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and will take your concerns and advice into consideration while we aim to improve our employee experience in anyway we can.Thanks for being a part of the Northside Family!

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Enjoyed working with employees, Teamwork

Apr 23, 2021 - Registered Nurse, BSN in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I liked working here primarily because everyone jumps right in when you need help, and teamwork is a standard. I also liked how challenging the patient assignments were at times, and enjoyed being taught new things on a daily basis. Very diverse!

Cons

Base pay is significantly less when compared to other hospitals in the area who have less volume of patients. A lot of times it felt like a revolving door here. Vacation time, PTO, and Call outs were confusing and often times created an inability to have a great work/life balance. Only 4 call outs per year and they do not fall off at the beginning of the new year (must wait 12 months from exact call out day). Could not use PTO how and when I needed to including for vacation weeks, which are done by rounds of bidding based on “seniority”. So you may end up not having a vacation at all or only one vacation week that you must bid for.

Content Marketing Specialist

Thank you for leaving a review detailing your concerns here at Northside. We will be sure to bring up these policies with the right people to make our employee experience better for everyone. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee

Gossip Culture and Hostile Work Environment

May 14, 2021 - Executive Director Tech
      Business Outlook

Pros

Honestly can’t think of one except for having experience in the emergency department

Cons

Atlanta Campus was horrible. Management is no help and are even worst than co workers. Techs are overworked. No team work and lazy nurses. You will be expected to take up patients by yourself with no help, return to a dirty room, and still have EKG’s to do that weren’t done while you were gone. Absolutely one of the most pathetic departments I’ve ever worked with. No wonder their turn over rate is so high. Manager picked and choose who’s scheulde she wanted to accommodate. I was in school and she refused to allow me to drop to part time. She heard I wanted to transfer and blocked me out of spite.

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good place to gain experience

Apr 22, 2021 - Staff RN in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Due to the high volume in my department, I have been able to gain valuable experience. I appreciate the team atmosphere of my unit.

Cons

It feels as though “the needs of the unit” are far more important than the employees. Scheduling can prove to be difficult at times, Northside has a policy of only 4 call outs a year on a rolling calendar & we work every 3rd weekend on my unit. The management on my unit seems less inclined to address and make change on problems and/or suggestions staff make to improve systems and work/life balance. The turnover rate of staff is high. The starting base rate of pay is lower than other metro Atlanta hospitals.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great coworkers on staff. Annual pay increase

Apr 22, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers. Teamwork. Annual merit increases. Pension plan. Credit union. Referral bonuses. Don’t have to worry about getting your hours. The people who work in the trenches daily will be reason you stay.

Cons

Favoritism. Politics. Promotions not based on expertise but who they like most. Upper department management is out of touch with staff who is responsible for Northside’s reputation. No appreciation by management to staff working hard & understaffed. Some roles sit listening to AirPods all day and don’t help. When asked to help do the minimal work these same staff give attitude. Management never holds them accountable. Staff making the NS positive reputation is not paid enough.

2 people found this review helpful

7. 5.0

I love my job!!!

May 12, 2021 - CCA (Clinical Care Associate)
      Business Outlook

Pros

My management is absolutely amazing! They take the time to work with you. They care about our well being. I love the team I work with too.

Cons

I work in surgical services and that’s where I want to stay.

8. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Bad pay

Apr 15, 2021 - Registered Nurse, BSN in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pension, hours, coworkers, and that's about it

Cons

The pay is terrible. They initially offered me a much lower salary than I was making at my other job as a registered nurse with 4 years of ICU experience. It was insulting, honestly. It took a lot of effort for them to match the pay, but even then the pay they offered was still slightly lower (but I accepted the desk job for safety reasons). They barely give any free northside swag, in my 6 months working here I received 1 t-shirt. The building my office is in always has maintenance issues. In my 6 months here, there's been a power outage, an electrical fire, and the bathrooms are always unkempt. Also, it's really difficult to request time off. Looking up HR documents, pay information, pto information is also confusing as the websites for each are hard to access. I was emailed new hire modules to complete the night before all 12 were due. The HR department seems pretty unprofessional and just hard to reach.

9. 5.0

Best Place To Work!

Apr 14, 2021 - Patient Care Technician in Lawrenceville, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The staff in my department are really nice and supportive of each other. No matter the circumstances, we always pull together to complete our objectives. The management is great and is always looking for ways to improve our department. I have not worked anywhere else, where the administration has been so kind and supportive to their workers.

Cons

The only downside to my position is havkng to wake up at 4AM, but that I knew that would be the case when I applied for this job. Sometimes, I feel like things take a while to be done (especially when it comes to IT installing new items on our unit like we were originally promised) - and that is not neccesairly always ITs fault.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Northside Review

May 12, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Cumming, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great teamwork Great people all around Great all around care for their patients. They really take pride in their patients

Cons

MDs don’t put their orders in Base pay a little low

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,874 Reviews