Northstar Aerospace Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David McConnaughey

"Excellent Employees & Co Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Northstar Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has excellent Benefits and are the best I have ever had in a Manufacturing job.
    You really have to appreciate a company that has employees that have been there for 20-47 years and made it thru the buyout of DVelco to Northstar.

Cons

My only con would be my drive every day which has nothing to with the company.

Advice to Management

Team Building & Communication are an ongoing process for every company.

"A shame"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford Park, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford Park, IL

I have been working at Northstar Aerospace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and fair compensation, they are very good with life work balance, but that's about it.

Cons

You can't really talk to anyone because you never know who you can trust. People will lie right to your face. A lot of snakes in the grass that's for sure. You never know who is the most poisonous.
    The union dinosaurs run circles around Management and would rather shut the place down, take their severance and let the company relocate out of state than actually have a job!

"Overall experience was good but poor management and no obvious route for advancement."

Former Employee - Operations in Bedford Park, IL
    Former Employee - Operations in Bedford Park, IL

I worked at Northstar Aerospace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People were great to work with and makes the time enjoyable during the week.
    Challenging work and fulfilling at the beginning.
    Great benefits for health and retirement.

Cons

Poor management and low salary are frustrating .
    Some managers don't know seem to have much hands on experience in their field.
    Little advancement opportunities.
    Management doesn't see your true value.

Advice to Management

None

"bad place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

nothing good to say about it

Cons

lot of backstabbing,disrespect, management out of touch, quality don`t know what their doing. they just want you to do pencil wiping, copy and paste etc. worse place ever. run the other way, no future.

Advice to Management

more training to managers and supervisors make sure they know what their doing. dont believe only what they say.

"machinist"

Former Employee - Machinist in Romeoville, IL
    Former Employee - Machinist in Romeoville, IL

I worked at Northstar Aerospace (More than 8 years)

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

company closed its doors this year

7. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, MN

I worked at Northstar Aerospace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work as far as co-workers and atmosphere goes.

Cons

bad times for the aerospace industry

"Decent company, some drama."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford Park, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford Park, IL

I worked at Northstar Aerospace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Compensation. Flexible with hours. Plenty of overtime. They own the market for their product, so they will never go out of business. Majority of people are great to work with. Insurance coverage was excellent, and there was a really good match on the 401K. I never thought the company was terrible, but there certainly is a lot of internal negativity.

Cons

High stress environment. The company carries a lot, and I mean a lot of Debt. We went through bankruptcy when I was there, and after we came out, they immediately opened a $40 million line of credit. Also the Union rules the roost. The union will always put themselves before the company. They will also look for opportunities to take advantage of non-union employees.

"Falling Apart"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Northstar Aerospace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Air-conditioned environment

Cons

Too much union interference. 70% of the machinists are lazy stupid and arrogant. Union keeps protecting them. Union plays great part in bringing the place down to the ground.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the Union. Retain skilled and people who worked with good attitude, ethics and great attandance.

"Union Job... Great Pay, Relexed Work Environment...Little Else"

Current Employee - Deburr in Bedford Park, IL
    Current Employee - Deburr in Bedford Park, IL

I have been working at Northstar Aerospace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great paying job! Very relaxed work atmosphere. In fact, too relaxed, which will explain why the company is always behind on orders and can't get new contracts.

Cons

Unbelievable, the amount of money this company spends needlessly on frivolous things..
    Have not secured new contracts since I started here. Unable to remain competitive in the market due to costs being triple of our competitors. Uncanny scrap rate due to a variety of reasons. Allow way too much time to complete a job or task, and they wonder why costs are so high. Workers take advantage of this big time because very few people care. Union is there to protect the troublemakers. I could go on and on with what's wrong with this company. If you are looking for a job with great pay and benefits, but have to always worry about when you're going to be laid off then this is the place for you. They could care less about your families and/or your personal life. Bottom line is the almighty dollar.
    Supervisors have absolutely no clue what is going on or how to do it. They only know how to work a computer... I think. At least they can play solitaire.

Advice to Management

Get some people in the front office who actually have experience and proven track record to make the business successful. Instead of people who are only there to run the company into the ground.

11. "Great work! Some very nice coworkers (others not so much), but too much yelling (literally) from the top!"

Former Employee - Administration in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Administration in Auburn, WA

I worked at Northstar Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company, some self-direction encourages, interesting working with people around the world, challenging to get a good quote out and relatively decent wages for the area.

Cons

Tempestuous office atmosphere, low employee morale; suspicion and back-stabbing abounds. The overall atmosphere in this workplace was very tense and needlessly so. It's too bad, because the job itself was interesting and diverse, but the toxic anger was literally stressful enough to cause illness and much unhappiness . . . too much Us vs Them mentality betwixt the shop and the office and, quite frankly, some really bad behavior by the Brahmin's who run the place.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees as you would want to be treated . . . then maybe your unemployment taxes wouldn't be so high . . .